• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What languages do you speak?

Herr Heinrich

Student of Mythology
I am just curious about the linguistic variety of RF goers. Post what languages you speak in order of fluency. Feel free to discuss them if you wish. A sample sentence or paragraph of your language would be cool too.

English of the American variety obviously.
I also speak German..kind of. Deutsch ist meine Hauptfach an der Uni.

TJ73

English and pig latin.
Iyay ontday eekspay igpay atinlay atthey uchmay.
I don't speak pig latin that much.
Y, yo estudio espanol para tres anos y se sabe nada!

I know six languages: English, Spanish, Arabic, French, Japanese and Italian.

Also know some Esperanto, but not as much as I'd like. I'm trying to find time to pick it up again.

Last edited:

Herr Heinrich

Student of Mythology
ppɐʇɹnɯ;2336566 said:
I know six languages: English, Spanish, Arabic, French, Japanese and Italian.

Wow. Are you fluent in all of them? Also where did you learn them?

Wow. Are you fluent in all of them? Also where did you learn them?

I live in America so I know English.

Learned Spanish for 4 years in high School.

I have Arab Parents, so I speak Arabic.

My mom's side is from Lebanon where French is a second language.

I learned Japanese from a Japanese girlfriend I had.

And lastly I learned some Italian on my own, and can understand a lot of Italian because it's close to Spanish.

As for Esperanto I took a semester of it in college, but they phased it out after only one semester so I never got that far.

emptybe

Om Mani Padme Hum
I speak English and some French. Someday I'll make it a project to be fluent in French and German.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Hebrew and English fluently. refreshing my Arabic right now. and the French consulate here demands that I speak French in 5 years.
I've also been taking Egyptian hieroglyphs and Attic Greek back in archaeology studies. if only enough to get some valuable information in the field, and not to read whole enigmatic texts.

Klaufi_Wodensson

Vinlandic Warrior
Hahah Heinrich, bringing FB to RF.

Well you already know what I speak.

I speak American English, I'm learning German and French, and sort of trying to learn Old English... Of the Anglo-Saxon Variety ;)

TJ73

ppɐʇɹnɯ;2336586 said:
I live in America so I know English.

Learned Spanish for 4 years in high School.

I have Arab Parents, so I speak Arabic.

My mom's side is from Lebanon where French is a second language.

I learned Japanese from a Japanese girlfriend I had.

And lastly I learned some Italian on my own, and can understand a lot of Italian because it's close to Spanish.

As for Esperanto I took a semester of it in college, but they phased it out after only one semester so I never got that far.
Do you find that once you master another language or two, it becomes easier to learn more? Do you kind of develop a method of learning new ones, or become kind of ... I can't think how to phrase it, but like your brain is more receptive to learning language?

Erebus

I speak English, enough French to get by on a holiday, but not enough to hold a conversation and a tiny bit of Latin. I can usually roughly decipher a Latin phrase by recognising the odd noun or verb, but couldn't construct a sentence of my own.

I speak English mainly (of the Canadian variety), I can understand Tagalog, speak basic French, and Spanish.

And Esperanto. But I would hardly put that on my resume... it screams geek along with Klingon. :D