• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Without God, Life Has No Purpose . . . . . . ."

Skwim

Veteran Member
I happened upon the quote below while searching for information on replacing a toilet---don't ask. In any case, it appears to be just the
kind of religious chatter that would appeal to RF Christians. So, look it over and tell us what you think.

quote-without-god-life-has-no-purpose-and-without-purpose-life-has-no-meaning-without-meaning-rick-warren-47-1-0170.jpg

Just as a note of information: Richard Duane "Rick" Warren (born January 28, 1954) is an American evangelical Christian pastor and author.
He is the founder and senior pastor of Saddleback Church, an evangelical megachurch in Lake Forest, California, the eighth-largest church in the United States

Is it pretty much right on or is it just so much Sunday morning blather?

I suggest asking yourself:

Why would life necessarily have no purpose without god ? (Not quite sure what is meant by "without god.")

Why would life necessarily have no meaning if it has no purpose?

Why would would life necessarily lack significance or hope if it had no meaning?

Frater Sisyphus

Contradiction, irrationality and disorder
............assuming that an existence of a theistic God would automatically mean that life has a meaning.....

I personally believe that we all have a purpose (Will), that isn't deity-attributed or self-attributed but I'll let my above statement hang

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
It would appear to have no objective meaning. Most folks I have spoken to agree that any meaning the universe has is subjective but what those who make such quotes are looking for is an objective meaning applicable to everyone.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
I happened upon the quote below while searching for information on replacing a toilet---don't ask. In any case, it appears to be just the
kind of religious chatter that would appeal to RF Christians. So, look it over and tell us what you think.

quote-without-god-life-has-no-purpose-and-without-purpose-life-has-no-meaning-without-meaning-rick-warren-47-1-0170.jpg

Just as a note of information: Richard Duane "Rick" Warren (born January 28, 1954) is an American evangelical Christian pastor and author.
He is the founder and senior pastor of Saddleback Church, an evangelical megachurch in Lake Forest, California, the eighth-largest church in the United States

Why would life necessarily have no purpose without god ? (Not quite sure what is meant by "without god.")

Why would would life necessarily lack significance or hope if it had no meaning?

It's a pure fabrication and a colossal expense of one's time and energy to try and pin meaning and purpose to one's life.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It would appear to have no objective meaning. Most folks I have spoken to agree that any meaning the universe has is subjective but what those who make such quotes are looking for is an objective meaning applicable to everyone.
Imo having a creator wouldn't make it less subjective. It's just also subjective to that creator as well as subjective to everyone else.
The inventor of the straw might say the purpose of a straw is to suck up liquids, but if I use it to blow on ink to create ink drip art, the creator's statements on what 'actual' purpose/meaning straws have won't make any difference to me, I've still found another purpose that is no less valid just because I'm not the creator.

Jumi

Perhaps he can only see things from his own perspective. He can't remember a time when his purpose in life was believing God made his purpose.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

without love one has no purpose because it's opposite is death and self-destruction

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
When I was a kid, I didn't need a pastor to tell me what "the meaning of life" is, and yet I had lots of fun-- mixed in with down stuff as well. As an adult, I still don't need a pastor to tell me what "the meaning of life" is.

I guess I never grew up, and I dare hot ask my wife for her opinion on that.

PureX

Veteran Member

If "God is love" then I would agree with his statement.​

BSM1

What? Me worry?

Blather.

Looks like some smug douche who went and quoted his own self thinking that he was sagely and clever.

This guy makes a living writing books full of this.

idav

Being
Premium Member

I’ve grown accustomed to the idea that many people need some sort of faith in life in order to see hope of any kind. The quote to me is using God as a crutch but even a crutch is a tool to get back on your feet. I can’t count how many times I have heard of people that just seem to go into dispair because God suddenly is no longer real and they sound like they may go in some sort of crime spree or become completely promiscuous with no care in the world. Those are the same type that some how see atheists as immoral and can’t see the point of moral code without God. I try to be cautious debating religion and try and keep in mind I’m talking to people that may have real issues, sometimes people get very angry and upset but is sometimes unpredictable. Quotes like that kind of show what I’m taking about.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member

Solomon, in Ecclesiates, said the purpose of life is to enjoy an good meal and the wife of your youth. Eat and reproduce is our only purpose.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member

What he is telling you is that his life has no meaning or purpose to him unless a his god exists, and then that purpose is to stroke that god's ego for eternity. I'd call that a pretty meaningless existence either way.

David T

Premium Member

It's totally cultural and suburban. Like so much of religion it only has context in culture and very normal. Rick isn't a bad guy just a normal Dude is all.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

The latter.

Life necessarily has neither purpose nor no purpose, which is more properly said neither has nor lacks purpose. Neither is necessary, with or without "god."

I cannot answer the other questions.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

Without the Divine, life has no purpose to me. Life becomes just an accident and people's lives just responses to stimuli with no goal.

To me meaning and purpose are two sides of the same coin. Without purpose there is no meaning outside of subjective illusion that there is a meaning.

If there is no meaning significance is just an illusion and hope merely the action of various physical, chemical and biological processes on the brain.

(In case people don't know, I'm not a Christian, think that there is a lot of errors in the Bible and don't accept much of the Christian beliefs.)​

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Even if it were true, it wouldn't constitute any evidence for god. The man's fear of insignificance strikes me as a personal, psychological problem.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
............assuming that an existence of a theistic God would automatically mean that life has a meaning.....

It does? Could you clarify what you mean by "theistic God?" Why do you put the qualifier "theistic" in front of "God?" Isn't that kind of redundant?