• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Aren't You Praying to End COVID-19?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
And that's why I don't bother. God does whatsoever He wants to anyway, so why bother?

Yeah, that's understandable. Each to their own - how one approaches these things varies depending on theological perspective. So long as you've got something to help you muddle through the day, that's what matters I think.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Yeah, that's understandable. Each to their own - how one approaches these things varies depending on theological perspective. So long as you've got something to help you muddle through the day, that's what matters I think.
I muddle, but not always that well.... what choice do I have?

A Vestigial Mote

Answer: Prayer doesn't work like many people think it does.
And by this do you mean that prayer "works" insomuch as it has been proven to act like a sort of morale-boosting placebo for those who know they are being prayed over? If not, then please explain "how prayer works."

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
A backhanded or disingenuous question rarely deserves much of a response. But since you asked, I can do it too!

Why haven't you stopped coughing in people's faces yet?
I'm assuming all of you reading this are coughing in people's faces because COVID-19 is still here and cases are mounting. So why are you still coughing in people's faces?

In seriousness, framing matters.
To add, sorry I'm grumpy about this. I just think we have more than enough negativity surrounding the pandemic. People use prayer as a way to hold onto hope and to cope, so I don't take well to slamming on it right now. I don't pray in that fashion, but I know folks do and it's very important to them. "Hahah, it isn't working" is just not helpful in dark times.

I framed the question exactly as intended. Many here read the intent of the loaded question in the OP. I'm sorry you didn't.

This thread has nothing to do with the pandemic and everything to do with how prayer works.

Several posters here, especially those that know me well enough to know that I don't belittle their beliefs, immediately grasped the topic and responded accordingly.

Perhaps asking my intent moving forward would be more helpful than responding based on assumptions.

Dave Watchman

I'm assuming none of you are praying that COVID-19 ends, because it's still here and the cases are mounting?

So why aren't you praying?

You got me there man.

I should be praying more.

Especially now.

As I do a quick scan through this thread, I like the notes made by Trailblazer, and especially Tony.

I don't pray much. The holy spirit knows what I need. He will make intercession for me. We do not know what to pray for as we ought to, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.

Jesus prayed to His Father the night before He was due to be put on trial and crucified.

"Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done."​

Not my will, but yours be done.

In my view, this Corona business was baked in the cake. I was expecting something to happen, to be in the full view of mankind, before January 2020 was over.

According to my understanding, we are deeper into Revelation's narrative than even the Christians are recognizing.

I see us already mostly through chapter 13 and into the signs that the Dragon is given the power to do on behalf of the composite beast.

These signs should prove to be the catalyst for what remains, the setting up of the "image" of the beast and it's "mark."

Praying against these things would be like praying against an appointed time of the end that was prophesied to take place by the God that I am praying to.

So if I'm right, the main thing a Bible guy should be praying for now is that we may have strength to escape all these things that are about to come to pass and to stand before the Son of Man.

I'm claiming Psalm 91.

I will not fear the fowlers arrow that flies in the day nor the plague that stalks in the night.

"You will not fear the terror of the night,
the arrow that flies by day, the plague that stalks in darkness,
or the pestilence that ravages at noon.​

I'll also make a case for Revelation 3:10.

"Because you have kept my word about patient endurance, I WILL KEEP YOU from the hour of trial that is coming on the whole world, to try those who dwell on the earth.​

That ALONE is good enough for me.

Thy Kingdom come, Thy Will be done.

Not my will Father, Your Will be done.

InChrist

Free4ever
I'm assuming none of you are praying that COVID-19 ends, because it's still here and the cases are mounting?

Variations of the coronavirus have been around throughout the history of this world since the Fall, as a consequence of the negative impact of sin. That won’t change, nor will viruses go away until the new heaven and earth and the reign of Christ.
So I am praying for the return of Jesus Christ and that many are saved before that day.

But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night, in which the heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will melt with fervent heat; both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up.
2 Peter 3:10

Gargovic Malkav

People who don't believe in the same things I do might feel disrespected and oppressed when I pray for their "well-being".

Not to mention the speck that I often find in my own eye...

Last edited:

rrobs

As I said in the OP, the mounting cases. Many areas are setting records of late for new daily cases.

ArcGIS Dashboards
I might assume that if people weren't praying we'd have way more cases than we have now. If so, then prayer is absolutely working. I know for a fact that so far it's working for the people I've specifically prayed for. None of them have the Covid and I expect it to stay that way. :)

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member

I've been praying that the crisis will continue until all whom God motivates to pray, are in prayer. THAT MEANS YOU NEED TO PRAY TO END THIS THING.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I've been praying that the crisis will continue until all whom God motivates to pray, are in prayer.
So God supposedly is willing to sacrifice innocent men, women, and children over this? There's a name for that, and it's called "genocide", and maybe your god does that but mine certainly wouldn't as He endorses Love.

Last edited:

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

Well, they are. It is just the case that god says “no” sometimes. Lol.

ciao

- viole

Last edited:

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I've been praying that the crisis will continue until all whom God motivates to pray, are in prayer. THAT MEANS YOU NEED TO PRAY TO END THIS THING.
That will work only if God granted your prayer. How do we know that He did?

just because He answers billiard ball prayers? But if that is the case, why didn’t you pray to simply terminate the pandemic? And add the rescue of the 30,000 kids who die everyday, even without pandemic, as a bonus?

Ciao

- viole

MNoBody

if it is a thing to be named and exorcised .....is that it's name [or just what people call it]
exorcisms do not work if you do not know the name of the parasitic entity being dealt with
.....according to those folks into that kind of thing
maybe this is why their banishing spells aren't working
urawattharry-5ada2c3a18ba0100371a5552.JPG