• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Aren't You Praying to End COVID-19?

Audie

Veteran Member
Here is how I believe it works:

“God witnesseth that there is no God but Him, the Gracious, the Best-Beloved. All grace and bounty are His. To whomsoever He will He giveth whatsoever is His wish. He, verily, is the All-Powerful, the Almighty, the Help in Peril, the Self-Subsisting.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 73

Of course that means that God only gives what He wishes to who He wishes, so if God does not wish to answer He won't.

Logically speaking, that is in keeping with God's Omnipotence.

And you believe rhem turgid gleanings becsuse....?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
No it doesn't, not unless God chooses to answer that prayer, and it is on a case-by-case basis.

We ask for what we want, He gives us what we need (did I say that before? sometimes I forget :confused:). And of course, people say He doesn’t answer us because maybe He can’t get a word in edgewise. If we’d just shut up maybe we could hear Him.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
God made COVID. It is punishment for attacking Babylon, Iraq (as mentioned in full detail in Revelation in the bible). Specifically, Revelation 15 (7 plagues, of which COVID is only one). There will also be economic upheaval, trade problems, fires, floods, pests (giant Asian Hornets and wood borers), etc. Ultimately, God will end the world. So, prayers to God won't help.

The Religious Right was fine with defying God (attacking Iraq), because they felt that they would be raptured to heaven.

The pope urged W. Bush not to attack Iraq, because he knew that would cast W. Bush and his father Bush Sr., in the roles of father and son demons (dragon and beast) in Revelation. The pope issued a See To The United States, in the strongest possible wording to not attack Iraq. France, Russia, Germany, and a host of other nations, urged patience instead of war. Many felt that diplomacy should be tried rather than war (God said "thou shalt not kill)."

That's a total spin on things.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm assuming none of you are praying that COVID-19 ends, because it's still here and the cases are mounting?

So why aren't you praying?

The best prayer is may God's Will be done.

These things help us become less worldly and help us work together.

When we find unity and work together, these events will become less of a ripple across the globe.

Regards Tony

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
We ask for what we want, He gives us what we need (did I say that before? sometimes I forget :confused:). And of course, people say He doesn’t answer us because maybe He can’t get a word in edgewise. If we’d just shut up maybe we could hear Him.
I agree, God gives us what we need, not what we want, not unless our want is what we need....
That's why I never pray for anything in particular, only for help! :eek:

Is there any Remover of difficulties save God? Say: Praised be God! He is God! All are His servants, and all abide by His bidding!

The Báb

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
God is all-powerful and all knowing. God is the only creator of life. Therefore, God made COVID. One must wonder why?

God created tools for people to suffer and created tools for people to live? If god dislikes suffering and loves all his creation so they won't suffer, why counteract that wish? That makes god sound like a hypocrite.

Maybe COVID, AIDS, Epilepsy, Ebola, et cetera are just a part of life; and, animals, humans, et cetera are part of that process whether we benefit or suffer from it. No one lives forever, so every one is subject to the same laws. No eternity. No entity/god (which I hope is read in context). Just life.

Why do we need to attribute good or bad things on something or someone outside ourselves, our choices, and/or our behaviors?

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If God is the author of all things natural, and omniscient into the bargain, can it really make any sense to ask Him to change His mind?

I do not see there is a change of mind needed for God. God is the source of all good.

The source has given Cause and Effect as part of the creation.

Prayer is a tool that we can all use. The mind of man is connected to this creation and as such that connection has cause and effect.

Regards Tony

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
That's why I never pray for anything in particular, only for help!

Yes, for guidance, insight, inspiration. Not chanting hymns and mantras that Goddess Lakshmi send me oodles of money, but help me think of ways to earn it. Not that Goddess Saraswati makes me able to make that damn barre chord, though a whisper in my ear is not unappreciated. :D Maybe even a little “psst, Frank, try putting your pinky there”. :D

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No it doesn't, not unless God chooses to answer that prayer, and it is on a case-by-case basis.

I see all prayer is answered. The issue is many times the answer is not what we wanted, so we think the prayer was not answered. Or it was answered and things go very sour, as such, God demonstrated to us that we should not ask for what God does not want for us.

This prayer of the Bab is the one that gives me those thoughts.

"Vouchsafe unto me, O my God, the full measure of Thy love and Thy good-pleasure, and through the attractions of Thy resplendent light enrapture our hearts, O Thou Who art the Supreme Evidence and the All-Glorified. Send down upon me, as a token of Thy grace, Thy vitalizing breezes, throughout the daytime and in the night season, O Lord of bounty.
No deed have I done, O my God, to merit beholding Thy face, and I know of a certainty that were I to live as long as the world lasts I would fail to accomplish any deed such as to deserve this favor, inasmuch as the station of a servant shall ever fall short of access to Thy holy precincts, unless Thy bounty should reach me and Thy tender mercy pervade me and Thy loving-kindness encompass me.
All praise be unto Thee, O Thou besides Whom there is none other God. Graciously enable me to ascend unto Thee, to be granted the honor of dwelling in Thy nearness and to have communion with Thee alone. No God is there but Thee.
Indeed shouldst Thou desire to confer blessing upon a servant Thou wouldst blot out from the realm of his heart every mention or disposition except Thine Own mention; and shouldst Thou ordain evil for a servant by reason of that which his hands have unjustly wrought before Thy face, Thou wouldst test him with the benefits of this world and of the next that he might become preoccupied therewith and forget Thy remembrance."

Regards Tony

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I see all prayer is answered.
I don't know, since I cannot know what the unknowable God does at any time.

As I see it, religious people interpret their scriptures and then they believe they know what God does, what God's attributes are, etc.

I no longer choose to go down that path. I have taken a detour, and the sign says: "God is Unknowable"

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't know, since I cannot know what the unknowable God does at any time.

As I see it, religious people interpret their scriptures and then they believe they know what God does, what God's attributes are, etc.

I no longer choose to go down that path. I have taken a detour, and the sign says: "God is Unknowable"

Sometimes the answer is that it needs no answer.

"... God will answer the prayer of every servant if that prayer is urgent. His mercy is vast, illimitable. He answers the prayers of all His servants … God is merciful. In His mercy He answers the prayers of all His servants when according to His supreme wisdom it is necessary." – Abdu’l‑Baha, The Promulgation of Universal Peace, p. 247.

And this helps

"... Never lose thy trust in God. Be thou ever hopeful, for the bounties of God never cease to flow upon man. If viewed from one perspective they seem to decrease, but from another they are full and complete. Man is under all conditions immersed in a sea of God’s blessings. Therefore, be thou not hopeless under any circumstances, but rather be firm in thy hope." – Abdu’l-Baha, Selections from the Writings of Abdu’l-Baha, p. 205.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
And you believe your guy is a messenger coz?

It just can't be his prose style.

Because Baha'u'llah proclaimed it to the entire world, that he was to give the Message of world wide peace and unity as promised by God since the dawn of Faith and Mesengers.

For doing that, Baha'u'llah accepted all that was dished out to him, dished out in an attempt to silence the influence that such God given Messages invoke.

Regards Tony

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
There were far better ways to participate in a thread than posting off-topic critiques of the OP.

A backhanded or disingenuous question rarely deserves much of a response. But since you asked, I can do it too!

Why haven't you stopped coughing in people's faces yet?
I'm assuming all of you reading this are coughing in people's faces because COVID-19 is still here and cases are mounting. So why are you still coughing in people's faces?

In seriousness, framing matters.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
To add, sorry I'm grumpy about this. I just think we have more than enough negativity surrounding the pandemic. People use prayer as a way to hold onto hope and to cope, so I don't take well to slamming on it right now. I don't pray in that fashion, but I know folks do and it's very important to them. "Hahah, it isn't working" is just not helpful in dark times.