• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Aren't You Praying to End COVID-19?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I looked in the US. Still 158,000 cases yesterday.

Hopefully the cases drop when people feel better. When I was getting a hospital test about a month ago, the nurse said they were a COVID free hospital. Anyone who had "any" symptom who was not yet diagnosed are sent as a COVID "case." They had to send the case to a larger hospital across town to get confirmations through diagnosis. So, looking at cases is one thing but watching those at higher risk actually contract the virus an additional complication to health strikes me more. Though there are variables involved.

I think prayer is a good meditational tool. It helps people believe that their prayers affect others-a mode of genuine intention for the prayed to. As for it working, I doubt it works in the way anti-prayerists conclude. If prayers worked the way they see it COVID cases would drop instantly. Since it's not how many people who pray describe it, then I think the counterargument is mute. Prayers work insofar they are defined by the intentions not by the results.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I'm assuming none of you are praying that COVID-19 ends, because it's still here and the cases are mounting?
You assume wrong. I am quite sure that many people prayed for this
But true, I did not pray that COVID-19 ends

So why aren't you praying?
I am convinced God could end COVID, but I also believe in the Law of Karma
Why ask God for help IF we humans are able to deal with it?
I have many health issues, but do not pray to God to end them
God does guide me how to handle it myself
More fun and satisfaction this way

Just before Corona started Sai Baba "told" me I would die if I would get it
Next day I found out that if I stay in my room I will never get it
So, I did stay the first 2 weeks in my room (no desire to die)
But then I heard about 2m/masks and got more relaxed
And now I even become a bit too relaxed
But so far so good

I did pray a few times for things I could not handle though
These prayers were granted; but I am very careful what to ask and when
Because God might Grant it ... would cost Gates a lot of money; we don't want that to happen, right?

Last edited:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm assuming none of you are praying that COVID-19 ends, because it's still here and the cases are mounting?

I pray that people quit listening to conspiracy theory nonsense and use the brains God gave them. If they did that, we'd have better control of it, and it would go away. People who expect God to do it for them, are shirking their responsibilities.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

If Bhagavan Vishnu, as Preserver, sees fit to end it, He will. There’s a balance in the universe we can’t know. We can’t know what part this “pandemic” plays in that balance, in our karma, in our dharma. We’re short-sighted and see only what affects us in our little personal spheres. All I would pray for is for some insight to understand, if that is in His plan. Given that He knows what I’m going to ask for, knows what I think, better than I myself know, prayer is only for me.The benefit is that it may be the way I get some insight, by trying to reason things out... as if I can do anything about it.

Prayer is to understand what we need, not always what we want. When I turn the key in the truck to start it I pray to Lord Ganesha to protect me. But if I get t-boned by a tractor trailer it’s not because He ignored me or isn’t there. It’s because something has to play out. If I pray to Goddess Saraswati when I pick up my guitar, if She sees fit to coach me, She will. If I have a bad attitude about playing, I think She will let me know or ignore me. That’s how I think prayer works and why I do or don’t.

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you

Dear SalixIncendium
I find we pray much in relation to Covid.

We pray that people be sensible, so that transmission lessens.

We pray that the lonely reach out, so that they not feel lost and forgotten in lockdown.

We pray that the laid-off not lose hope or fall into despair, but find new perspectives, self-identities and avenues by which to provide for their own basic needs.

We pray that the healthy find strength and courage to be of service and comfort to their ill, so that the sick may retain the will to heal and the dying may find peace in their departure.

We pray that when the world comes out of this, it is a humbler, better place for all.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Please provide evidence of this.

Also, how do you know it doesn't work if you're not praying?

Lord, please give me a million dollars.

*waits*

Huh, nope, no million dollars.

Edit to add: Prayer does seem to have some beneficial effects on the person who prays. Similar to meditation. Also, I believe there are studies showing that prayer also has a positive effect if the person knows they are being prayed for.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Please provide evidence of this.

Also, how do you know it doesn't work if you're not praying?

6c75685432952d7f3a5d5ec31aa1ad67 (1).jpg

Hard evidence

Clara Tea

God made COVID. It is punishment for attacking Babylon, Iraq (as mentioned in full detail in Revelation in the bible). Specifically, Revelation 15 (7 plagues, of which COVID is only one). There will also be economic upheaval, trade problems, fires, floods, pests (giant Asian Hornets and wood borers), etc. Ultimately, God will end the world. So, prayers to God won't help.

The Religious Right was fine with defying God (attacking Iraq), because they felt that they would be raptured to heaven.

The pope urged W. Bush not to attack Iraq, because he knew that would cast W. Bush and his father Bush Sr., in the roles of father and son demons (dragon and beast) in Revelation. The pope issued a See To The United States, in the strongest possible wording to not attack Iraq. France, Russia, Germany, and a host of other nations, urged patience instead of war. Many felt that diplomacy should be tried rather than war (God said "thou shalt not kill)."