• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Aren't You Praying to End COVID-19?

Clara Tea

God is all-powerful and all knowing. God is the only creator of life. Therefore, God made COVID. One must wonder why?

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I'm assuming none of you are praying that COVID-19 ends, because it's still here and the cases are mounting?
I can of course only speak for myself but it is correct that I am not praying. Strangely presumptious I would also say. But the reasons covid is still here (and therefore cases are still mounting) has nothing to do with prayer.

So why aren't you praying?
I have never prayed. It does not feature in my life because it is not efficacious. My little contribution to the pandemic is social distancing, hand washing and mask wearing. Going forwards, the best hope to get the virus under control are vaccines, not prayers. And, long term, IMO, reducing meat consumption.

PureX

Veteran Member
I'm assuming none of you are praying that COVID-19 ends, because it's still here and the cases are mounting?

Your question is based on a very naive and simplistic conception of what prayer is, what it's for, and how it works. Which is unfortunate, because properly understood, prayer can be a very effective spiritual tool.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Neither. I'm angling toward "if prayer works the way many think it does, and people are praying, why COVID-19?"

The following 4 quotes echo my attitude. I'll add two things, The first from Kabir who is considered a Sant (Saint) if not Perfect about superficial asking (prayer):
If saying God gave liberation,
saying candy made your mouth sweet,
saying fire burned your feet,
saying water quenched your thirst,
saying food banished hunger,
the whole world would be free.
The other from St. Teresa of Avila:
“Christ has no body now but yours. No hands, no feet on earth but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses all the world. Yours are the hands, yours are the feet, yours are the eyes, you are his body. Christ has no body now on earth but yours.”

We see the whole world gripped by the pandemic, a focus like never before on medical research which will benefit people after COVID has been dealt with and an emphasis on what the Bible terms the second "greatest commandment".

Someone learning a skill such as dance, gymnastics, riding a bicycle and so forth learn lessons and get satisfaction by striving to overcome obstacles to achieve mastery. Could COVID be a gift from God so that humanity as a whole learns and grows?

I have been praying, but I suspect the coronavirus is a part of God's plan and that we are entering End Times:

I am convinced God could end COVID, but I also believe in the Law of Karma
Why ask God for help IF we humans are able to deal with it?

If Bhagavan Vishnu, as Preserver, sees fit to end it, He will. There’s a balance in the universe we can’t know. We can’t know what part this “pandemic” plays in that balance, in our karma, in our dharma. We’re short-sighted and see only what affects us in our little personal spheres. All I would pray for is for some insight to understand,

God is all-powerful and all knowing. God is the only creator of life. Therefore, God made COVID. One must wonder why?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Your question is based on a very naive and simplistic conception of what prayer is, what it's for, and how it works. Which is unfortunate, because properly understood, prayer can be a very effective spiritual tool.
Unfortunately, many who pray have that same simplistic view.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Could COVID be a gift from God so that humanity as a whole learns and grows?

There’s a quote, actually a lecture from Sadhguru in which he says to take what we think of as bad karma and turn it to our advantage. He said it’s bad karma only if we see it that way. Basically if life throws lemons, freeze them and throw them at something else. If I can find it I’ll post it here or elsewhere.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

I know that other Baha'is are praying, but I'm not.

I believe that if God did not allow COVID-19 it never would have happened, so maybe you can do the math.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Zactly.

It works like the Little Prince's commands for the sun to rise and set.
Here is how I believe it works:

“God witnesseth that there is no God but Him, the Gracious, the Best-Beloved. All grace and bounty are His. To whomsoever He will He giveth whatsoever is His wish. He, verily, is the All-Powerful, the Almighty, the Help in Peril, the Self-Subsisting.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 73

Of course that means that God only gives what He wishes to who He wishes, so if God does not wish to answer He won't.

Logically speaking, that is in keeping with God's Omnipotence.