• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Aren't You Praying to End COVID-19?

Muffled

Jesus in me
That's hurtful. Okay, it's not hurtful, but based on what evidence do you make this assumption?

While I do agree that one may not attribute the continuance of Covid-19 to a lack of prayer, I believe that I have not heard of anyone praying it would go away.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
One example ...

Largest Study of Prayer to Date Finds It Has No Power to Heal.

I used to pray when I was believer; it never worked for me then.

I couldn't read without disabling my ad blocker and I'm not doing that. I'm going to guess that the study concludes that prayer didn't work to heal people?

A couple of follow-up questions, since I didn't read the article...

Did the study include only people praying for the healing of others or did it also include people praying for themselves to be healed? If the latter, what was the breakdown of people praying for others vs. people praying for themselves?

Also, coming to a conclusion that "prayer doesn't work" because it doesn't heal is like coming to the conclusion that that my kid is a dullard because she's not good in math.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Dear SalixIncendium
I find we pray much in relation to Covid.

We pray that people be sensible, so that transmission lessens.

We pray that the lonely reach out, so that they not feel lost and forgotten in lockdown.

We pray that the laid-off not lose hope or fall into despair, but find new perspectives, self-identities and avenues by which to provide for their own basic needs.

We pray that the healthy find strength and courage to be of service and comfort to their ill, so that the sick may retain the will to heal and the dying may find peace in their departure.

We pray that when the world comes out of this, it is a humbler, better place for all.

So if you pray for these, and you feel that prayer has an impact on these, then why not just pray for the end of COVID-19? Or at least for a vaccine?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
For the same reason no one prays to regrow a limb. It's pointless!

So if prayer doesn't work to grow limbs, it's pointless?

I can understand this logic...

I once bought a truck that had a plug coming out of the grille. I plugged in every night and drove it each day. After about a week it just stopped running.

Electricity is pointless.

Altfish

Veteran Member
I couldn't read without disabling my ad blocker and I'm not doing that. I'm going to guess that the study concludes that prayer didn't work to heal people?

Did the study include only people praying for the healing of others or did it also include people praying for themselves to be healed? If the latter, what was the breakdown of people praying for others vs. people praying for themselves?

Also, coming to a conclusion that "prayer doesn't work" because it doesn't heal is like coming to the conclusion that that my kid is a dullard because she's not good in math.
The study included all scientific norms for a test.
People who were ill, some being prayed for, some not; neither knew whether they were being prayed for or not. In other words it was a controlled sample.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
People who don't believe in the same things I do might feel disrespected and oppressed when I pray for their "well-being".

Not to mention the speck that I often find in my own eye...

Do you always tell them you're praying about them?

Do you pray for your own well-being?

Altfish

Veteran Member

OK, give me a study that shows that prayer works.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I might assume that if people weren't praying we'd have way more cases than we have now. If so, then prayer is absolutely working. I know for a fact that so far it's working for the people I've specifically prayed for. None of them have the Covid and I expect it to stay that way. :)

Stating we'd have more cases than we have now is pure speculation, unless of course you have data to back this up.

Also, it's useful to learn that you only have a small circle of people you actually care about.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't believe in praying against God's will.

How do you know COVID-19 is God's will?

Maybe it's God's will that COVID-19 exists as a test to see who is willing to pray to end it, and by not praying, you're acting against God's will...

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
The study included all scientific norms for a test.
People who were ill, some being prayed for, some not; neither knew whether they were being prayed for or not. In other words it was a controlled sample.

So the study gives us evidence that prayer to heal others doesn't work. It has nothing to say about the effectiveness of prayer in healing oneself.

Altfish

Veteran Member
So the study gives us evidence that prayer to heal others doesn't work. It has nothing to say about the effectiveness of prayer in healing oneself.
No. Look you say you can't watch my video; I tried to interpret it,I obviously failed miserably. So let's leave it at that. You will not accept anything I post and you have failed to link evidence proving it works.