• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tap or Faucet

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Hey! What about muffin?

Ahh, puts a whole new slant on
Muffin_Toy_1_MC.jpg

You mean
English muffins or breakfast muffins
Or
Yorkshire muffins (Yorkshire puddings)

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
Short form of dates, if the Twin Towers had happened in the UK it'd have been 11/9

The US system doesn't make sense.

Year Month Day makes the most sense, then the whole number is correctly arranged to show temporal flow. Any two dates can be compared, the larger number is the later date.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
birds, and sheet

I worked (long time ago) in a small town Canadian tavern which also had a military base, and the British Airborne, amongst other regiments came for training sessions. My Quebecois friend, who had come out west to learn English, refused to serve them, for language barrier issues that resulted in frustration. I, on the other hand, did manage somehow. They were lousy tippers, and it took awhile to train them to sit at a table, not stand up beside the bar.

Two words I got asked about commonly were if there were any birds about, and if I knew where to get some sheet? (Bull____) but pronounce 'sheet'. Took awhile but eventually figured it out. So it was 'No, and 'No.

Using different words is one thing, but if you really want to dig in, go for the slang.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I know it but not seen since the ohc engine
In fact the tappets are/were the cylindrical cam followers on an OHV engine, not the rocker arms, but even mechanics commonly used to speak of "adjusting the tappets", when what they meant was the clearances between the pushrods and the rocker arms. And you're right that OHC engine today don't seem generally to have cylindrical cam followers any longer. As I recall, there are all sort of funny designs, some looking like half a clothes peg, which are far harder to lubricate, as they can't rotate like an old tappet so the wear is always in exactly the same spot.

Anyway, "cam follower", though longer than "tappet", is hell of a lot clearer - and was the term we exclusively used when I worked in the lubes industry. ;)

Altfish

Veteran Member
Year Month Day makes the most sense, then the whole number is correctly arranged to show temporal flow. Any two dates can be compared, the larger number is the later date.
The Brits usually write day/month/year, ie in order
I use Year/Month/Day for filing documents

But Month/Day/Year makes no sense