• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tap or Faucet


अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
So what do US folks call cookies? I mean as in the specific biscuit,


Chocolate chip cookie.

These are American biscuits...



"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
****. No one has mentioned **** yet.

(RF is an automated prude asterisking out a perfectly good word meaning cigarette in the UK.)

I didn't mention that because i knew RF auto star software would star it out


Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
Why can't them Yanks speak the Queen's bleedin' English, gawd blimey, jellied eels, apples an' pears, etc.


se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Also biscuits

Ok, I should have probably found a smaller image...
Naturally one of the first Yiddish terms I learned from you is 'kvetch'. That's not a term used in the U.K. :D


Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Us Vs Them
Some I've run into....
Fanny vs uh....never mind....well, OK....
Hoo hah vs fanny
A car's near side & far side vs left & right
Chips vs crisps
Fries vs chips
Trunk vs boot
Hood vs bonnet <-- Well, lah dee dah!
Elevator vs lift
Aluminum vs aluminium <-- Although too many Ameristanians call it "alloy" (bicycle dweebs).
Suspenders vs braces
Cookie vs biscuit
Line vs queue
Eggplant vs aubergine <-- What the hell?
Apartment vs flat
Drugstore vs chemist
Takeout vs takeaway
Truck vs lorry
Diaper vs nappy
Lavatory vs loo
TV vs telly
Zee vs Zed
Trillion vs billion <-- Although Limeys are coming around to our way.
Why do those Brits get so many things so wrong?
And I haven't even started in on their spelling.
Last edited:


Veteran Member
Brits extract water from the tap; Americans extract water from the faucet.

Brits burn petrol in their vehicles; Americans burn gas.

What are some other differences in nomenclature describing the same thing are there across the pond?


or these:


  • upload_2019-11-28_18-37-4.png
    827.8 KB · Views: 0


Well-Known Member
I remember watching Wheeler Dealers a while back and was in the other room hearing them talk about an engine under the 'bonnet.' I came into the room to see what kind of car would have an engine under a ladies hat.

Yeah, we Yanks call it a hood.
US Trunk, UK boot


Well-Known Member
Here, a college is basically what US folks would call High School. University is after this.
So, that's the reason why Brits aren't impressed with my college degrees ! ( or, it might be just me).

A university is an institution of higher learning that has different schools. You call the schools, colleges.


Well-Known Member
This might be just an Ontario thing, but hydroelectric generation is so ubiquitous that we call AC electricity "hydro."

When there's a power failure, people will say that the hydro's out. People call their electric bill the hydro bill. Many power utilities have "hydro" in their name.