• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tap or Faucet


अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Actually the use of the choice of tap, faucet and spigot are not consistent in the USA

I've lived in many parts of the US and have never seen any inconsistency. Indoor water sources are faucets, outdoor water sources are spigots (or bibs), and I've only seen 'tap' used as an adjective (tap water).

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Aren't erasers called "rubbers" in England? Ask for a rubber in an American school and you may be sent to the office...

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
In New England we use either tap or faucet, I just realized.

I can never quite pin down what constitutes as "Pudding" in England. Here in the states, it is pretty much a sweet custard.


Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
According to Professor 'Enry 'Iggins, Americans 'aven't used it in years, gov'nur!

Those damn colonials, not an educated Gentleman among them! That Mr. Higgins was entirely correct, he was obviously an English Gentleman of the highest caliber. Top table.


Veteran Member
So what do US folks call cookies? I mean as in the specific biscuit,

YES! Biscuit is another. When I lived in Houston I was amazed to find you could get something called chicken and biscuits, in which - thankfully, in the context! - the biscuits were a sort of scone or pastry thing, nothing remotely like a biscuit in Britain.


Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Where I live we do call them faucets, but that's where we get our tap water. Now, I'm not sure if this is a regional thing, but "tap" water bears the connotation that it's also city water, which is usually not the cleanest. Sometimes, if we have it, we call it well water to let guests know that the source comes from a well.

You know, I used to know a british guy, but I never heard from him again after I told him about my fanny pack. Not sure why. All I said was that it was uncomfortable, and was a bit too tight; so I bought another one. I had to wear it under my pants to keep it from falling off cause it was too loose. Felt a little awkward to wear it that way, but I made it work. One time it came undone and slid out of my pants and onto the stage when I was singing with my church choir during service. Boy was that emberassing!
Last edited:


Veteran Member
Us Vs Them
Some I've run into....
Fanny vs uh....never mind....well, OK....
Hoo hah vs fanny
A car's near side & far side vs left & right
Chips vs crisps
Fries vs chips
Trunk vs boot
Hood vs bonnet <-- Well, lah dee dah!
Elevator vs lift
Aluminum vs aluminium <-- Although too many Ameristanians call it "alloy" (bicycle dweebs).
Suspenders vs braces
Cookie vs biscuit
Line vs queue
Eggplant vs aubergine <-- What the hell?
Apartment vs flat
Drugstore vs chemist
Takeout vs takeaway
Truck vs lorry
Diaper vs nappy
Lavatory vs loo
TV vs telly
Zee vs Zed
Trillion vs billion <-- Although Limeys are coming around to our way.
Why do those Brits get so many things so wrong?
And I haven't even started in on their spelling.
An excellent list, my dear chap...

Oops another one. "Chaps", in the US are, I understand, some sort of (vaguely gay?) leg thingies, made of leather, that cowboys wear.


Veteran Member
Oh and then there is "rubber". An English schoolboy is apt to ask if he can borrow a rubber, if he has made a mistake in his maths ("math" to an American". My understanding is that in the States "rubber" has a different meaning.