1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Taliban

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by firedragon, Aug 19, 2021.

1. Rival

Rival Divine Adoratrice of Amun
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +36,783
    Religion:
    Heka
    Yes, I mean, what was the overall culture, religious makeup, political system etc. and what happened to make it such a powder keg.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. lewisnotmiller

lewisnotmiller Grand Hat

Ratings:
    +15,145
    Religion:
    atheist
    I shall give you my hot take at some point today. If you want the one word version, chaos comes to mind, but it's a super, super interesting country, from a historical perspective, and I am a history-geek (amongst my other geekiness).

• Like Like x 1
  3. Aupmanyav

Aupmanyav Be your own guru

Ratings:
    +12,975
    Religion:
    Atheist, Advaita (Non-duality), Orthodox Hindu
    One word answer: Pakistan. No Pakistan aid, no Taliban.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Rival

Rival Divine Adoratrice of Amun

Ratings:
    +36,783
    Religion:
    Heka
    This is true.

5. IndigoChild5559

IndigoChild5559 Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

Ratings:
    +3,524
    Religion:
    Judaism
    Living in fear is not peace.

• Winner Winner x 3
  6. firedragon

firedragon Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +4,705
    Religion:
    Islam
    Maybe if you try to understand a bit better, you would understand a bit better.

7. F1fan

F1fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,209
    Religion:
    Buddhist
    Right. This is why to change a culture you have to occupy for at least three generations so the old-timers die off and the new generation is settled in the new way. There have been protests against the Taliban by younger folks and this illustrates how the old ways need to be made extinct to not be tolerated.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. firedragon

Ratings:
    +4,705
    Religion:
    Islam
    Before the Soviets invaded Afghanistan, it was a republic which happened due to a coup d'etat that took place in 1973. The Durrani monarchy was toppled by a man called Daoud. This is when Afghan revenue from foreign employment started to increase. Daoud was ousted in 1961 with western support and he came back and took over in 1973. During this time there were many political problems with uprisings and foreign boycott and trade squeezing with severely unfair trade deals. Daoud was against Pakistan from a long time and Pakistan tried to aid these militant Islamic uprisings through radicalisation from Sufi/Deobandi groups that started from India. The Indian/Pakistani British/American pressure only increased because Daoud secured aid from the Soviets and Iran signed a deal for aid, although the money never came because of the political climate in Iran. The U.S defeat in the Vietnam war had reduced their influence immensely, thus the political support Afghanistan looked for didnt come. The Soviets were supporting Afghanistan, but Daoud was against the left and was always suppressing the left. Afghanistan then looked for support from India because the communist pressure is huge. They were surrounded by the communists and the communists wanted communism everywhere. Daoud thought that because India and Pakistan were murderous enemies of each other and since Daoud was an enemy of Pakistan indian would support them. At least in military training.

The country was in constant turmoil. Constantly. The geographical location was one of the reasons for it. Every tom, dick, and harry had to intervene. The communists in India and Iran somehow put pressure by reuniting two big factions in Afghanistan to conduct another coup to topple the then government I believe in 1978. All this while, the CIA is always there and were blamed for the Parcham leader in the same year. That began the Anti US movement as a demonstration by his people. 30,000 people took to the streets with anti U.S slogans. The women all over Afghanistan didnt like the outcome with communism in 78 because of one major issue. The Mahr or Dowry was abolished. Now unlike India the dowry was given by the man to the woman at the time of marriage. Its a sum of money given for women to keep and they can use it as they will. A lot of women banked this money just in case they lose their husband, which is not that uncommon in this war trodden country. Also, when the value of the bride goes down, the value of the woman goes down. Until then, the women had a different dignity level. So there was mass rejection of communism. Women wanted the Islamic law to prevail (ironically).

It was more of a liberal society with cinemas, education for women etc. It was a nice place in some sense. The Russian invasion happened 1979.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. firedragon

Ratings:
    +4,705
    Religion:
    Islam
    Great. Thanks.

10. Aupmanyav

Aupmanyav Be your own guru

Ratings:
    +12,975
    Religion:
    Atheist, Advaita (Non-duality), Orthodox Hindu
    Firedragon, it seems you are the 'silent majority' supporting Islamic extremism.

• Like Like x 1
  11. firedragon

Ratings:
    +4,705
    Religion:
    Islam
    I generally expect that kind of cheap tricks from people mate. Nothing new. ;)

12. InvestigateTruth

InvestigateTruth Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,585
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    Well, true. But if they did not have problems in their own country, there wouldn't be too many of them wanting to scape to the west.

• Like Like x 2
  13. firedragon

Ratings:
    +4,705
    Religion:
    Islam
    Lol. Of course. Is not that a given?

India has the biggest emigration in the world.

14. InvestigateTruth

Ratings:
    +2,585
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    I think so. The Quran was written in the culture of Arabs who live nearly 1500 years ago. So, it won't mention democracy. But does it ask people to establish an Islamic government?

I mean, it is always possible to interpret Quran to suit one's purpose. So, if one was to ask Taliban this same question, for sure they could quote some verses.

15. InvestigateTruth

Ratings:
    +2,585
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    So, I mean, if a Country is managed by a divine holy Book, one expect that country to be the best place to live. Something does not add up I guess.

16. firedragon

Ratings:
    +4,705
    Religion:
    Islam
    Different topic.

17. firedragon

Ratings:
    +4,705
    Religion:
    Islam
    Maybe it is not managed by a divine book. ;)

18. danieldemol

danieldemol Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,593
    Religion:
    Spiritual but not religious
    India has one of the largest populations in the world, so of course they will have more people leaving, but I'm doubtful that Pakistan is a better place to live than India just cause their smaller population means a smaller number of people living abroad.

ETA see the net migration rates for India compared to Pakistan;

List of countries by net migration rate - Wikipedia

#98 danieldemol, Aug 19, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. firedragon

Ratings:
    +4,705
    Religion:
    Islam
    Of course. Who said Pakistan is a better place to live? I didnt say that. Maybe it is, maybe it is not. But Pakistan and India are definitely better places to live than Afghanistan in my opinion. One of the main reasons would be that people have more freedom to live the way they want. But migration is not so simple. If you to some places in India, like Kerala, some children are brought up with migration as one of their main aims in life. Same goes to Pakistan. Some Pakistani families name their children with names that would be easier to call or pronounce or relatable in an English speaking or even another western country.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. danieldemol

danieldemol Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,593
    Religion:
    Spiritual but not religious
    No one said it, I just thought it would add to the conversation to say that even if the premise that higher emigration means it is a worse place to live, India still has a lower net emigration per thousand people than a number of other places even if it tops the list in sheer number of emigrants due to its overall population size.