1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Taliban

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by firedragon, Aug 19, 2021.

1. firedragon

firedragon Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +5,158
    Religion:
    Islam
    Yeah. But still, you have this innate understanding that "if the UN is scared of the US, they should have in turn be scared of Israel".

What you say is true. I agree. They should be.

2. firedragon

Ratings:
    +5,158
    Religion:
    Islam
    In my opinion, Afghans and the nation itself is the type of country and people that will grow with prosperity and education. But I highly doubt this country would be allowed to grow that way. It's always either under attack, occupation, an absurdly corrupt government, or a fanatically harsh rule. Most of the critiques are making pure assumptions. Only yesterday one guy was saying the Afghans are so dirty and unclean. This is absolutely untrue. Afghans are some of the cleanest people you will meet. This is what education via famous media outlets gives you.

If one thinks that the country had a healthy economic foundation during the 20 year leave of absence of the Taliban, they are fundamentally flawed. They ran on funds, and no sustainable economic welfare was developed. Zilch. Their democracy was a failure, because the democratically elected president was not allowed to rule, twice. It was the minority guy who was forcefully installed by the U.S power, twice. He was as corrupt as corruption could be. Thats where he gathered the money he flew away with. If you go to Afghanistan or at least the metropolitan areas of Kabul, someone will steal your phone, and your watch, and you will never catch them. If you are an American maybe you will pass the police checkpoints without having to pay any bribes because the policemen will take bribes just to allow you to pass. This was the democracy everyone is talking about for the past 20 years.

The people have to choose between personal freedom and safety and peace. Its sophies choice. I know that many of us would choose personal freedom at the cost of safety and peace. I was thinking about this a lot, and I think I would too. The Taliban rule is authoritarian and frankly fanatical. Even if they had changed some of their policies, it is still fanatical. That is from my point of view. But there are some in the country who consider them a necessity, and while everyone is wondering what happened to the U.S trained, heavily equipped afghan army who were just paid to stand and salute, take bribes, and enjoy life, they dont really think they vanished because their care for people or anything else for that matter doesnt really really exist.

The rabbit hole runs deeper.

3. IndigoChild5559

IndigoChild5559 Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

Ratings:
    +3,719
    Religion:
    Judaism
    AGAIN you misquote me.

4. firedragon

Ratings:
    +5,158
    Religion:
    Islam
    I didnt misquote you. I am steelmanning you. Thats why I said never mind because of course you dont want to accept that you trying to put down the UN because they sanction Israel and condemn their occupation of land etc, and I used the American fear factor into the equation of the UN, you kind of forgot that you were revealing a small matter that you dont want to talk about otherwise. Thats why I said just leave it.

5. Mock Turtle

Mock Turtle Putin' on the Blitz!
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,686
    Religion:
    None - agnostic with strong atheist tendencies.
    Let's face it, the Taliban are espousing 19th century patriarchal thinking, even if cloaked in their religious beliefs and which could be twisted to support such. They will eventually be gone, as for most ideologies that attempt to suppress one half of the population, and purely from an economic perspective if not from the discord they will be fomenting amongst the female half - unless they choose to remain isolated and internet-free, which is hardly possible. Who knows what will bring about any advance though.

6. firedragon

Ratings:
    +5,158
    Religion:
    Islam
    The Taliban is not only espousing a 19th century patriarchal thinking, it is not even datable. It is a more modern authoritarian imposition of a patriarchy. Even in history prior to the 19th century it was more non-authoritarian, non-patriarchal.

Also, the Taliban system should go. it is invalid. So I dont know what you are reading really to respond this way.

I dont know who really agrees with the suppression of female intellect. Thats exactly as you said, it is suppressing half the intellectual contribution of society. No doubt.

7. Muffled

Muffled Jesus in me

Ratings:
    +1,594
    Religion:
    Christian
    I believe the next step is that the Taliban will host terrorists that attack the USA and we will do it all over again.

8. Muffled

Muffled Jesus in me

Ratings:
    +1,594
    Religion:
    Christian
    I would not want to trade my freedom for peace. As the revolutionary saying goes: Give me liberty or give me death.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. Muffled

Muffled Jesus in me

Ratings:
    +1,594
    Religion:
    Christian
    I believe that is true for some but not for others.

10. firedragon

Ratings:
    +5,158
    Religion:
    Islam
    Good belief. It's your prerogative.

11. Mock Turtle

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,686
    Religion:
    Do you think they might get financial or other support as is often mentioned (in news articles) - from countries like Pakistan, Iran, or Saudi Arabia (Russia even?) - and if so, why would they do this, apart from trying to advance a more fundamentalist version of Islam in some way?

12. firedragon

Ratings:
    +5,158
    Religion:
    Islam
    What does your "funding" question and "fundamentalist Islam thing" in common? This fundamentalist cliche is thrown around at leisure.

What exactly is your question? Why not ask directly rather than superimpose your notions on them?

If you ask me if they will get financial support, it is very dicy. Their revenue or ISEW would stand on agriculture which would amount to about half their total GDP expectations. I say "expectations" or "requirements". So funding is necessary for governance or the government would either fail or deteriorate. Thus, people will definitely fund them. But whats the return they would get is a whole other question. The carrot is the funding.

13. Revoltingest

Revoltingest Abnormal before it was fashionable
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +78,685
    Religion:
    Atheist
    It's peace the way a prison & a concentration camp are peaceful.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mock Turtle

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,686
    Religion:
    Seems to me that both Iran and Saudi Arabia have agendas to promote their versions of Islam, and that might go for Pakistan too. I have no agenda apart from observing and noting things - poor as this might be. :cry:

15. firedragon

Ratings:
    +5,158
    Religion:
    Islam
    Nope None of them have any agendas in promoting their versions of Islam. They would of course have other political and financial interests for the future.

16. Mock Turtle

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,686
    Religion:
    I'll take your word for it, even if many wouldn't. :oops:

17. Shakeel

Shakeel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +241
    Religion:
    Islam
    Then why do they?

18. Shakeel

Shakeel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +241
    Religion:
    Islam
    I think your thinking is self-centered.

19. ideogenous_mover

ideogenous_mover Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,269
    Religion:
    Agnostic with a Theistic bent, toward some form of Dualism
    Food for thought, there. Maybe I'll have look for another book on Afghanistan next, though there a ton of those now, so it's hard to say which is giving something closest to the truth

We have areas like that here in the U.S., whole states really , where there really is nothing established that is that sustainable

20. firedragon

Ratings:
    +5,158
    Religion:
    Islam
    I can probably give you references to a few books, but it is best that you yourself find what you think is closest to history. Bon Voyage.