• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most Over-Rated Bands

gnomon

I stayed away from this thread because of the Beatles.

I tried thinking of a reason they could be overrated. I couldn't. While they definitely cannot claim to be original, not even when they started infusing other musical styles and moved to writing their own music and even Sgt. Pepper's as a concept album there was also Cream, Mothers of Invention and that horrible Emerson in whatever group he was in at the time. Not to mention other bands did it better than the Beatles. Even the Dave Clark 5, in my opinion, was as impressive as The Beatles in regards to pop. Not to mention The Animals putting out a sound in their version of House of the Rising Sun before The Beatles conceived of anything more than pop.

But it remains that they had the largest audience, were highly talented and were up their with the other bands creating new music. I can't deny their influence at the time even though I think other musicians from that time had a greater influence on the prog rock that developed.

So I don't think The Beatles were overrated at all for their time but far reaching influence others place on them I believe is overrated to just a small extent. The Beatles, The Kinks, The Moody Blues, King Crimson, Cream, Pink Floyd, Mothers of Invention, Jimi and so many others all had an influence that cannot be adequately measured against each other.

I'm a Beatles fan as well.

gnomon

Don't worry, My guess is that every band named in this thread has at least 1 fan :D

:D

I have no problem labeling bands I listen to as overrated. Metallica, Tool, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd.......I listen to all of them.

For kicks I like to check some YouTube videos of guitarists such as Beck, Gilbert, Morse, Vai, etc. and read the crazy debates about who is more of a "God" than others. Craziness.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Right - they were a good pop band, who wrote some really solid pop songs. However, many people see them as one of the greatest, if not the greatest, band that ever existed. This is why I think they're over-rated.

I think they see them as such because of the massive and extremely wide appeal they had, and their huge number of well-known and great songs. I think that's why they're picked for the honor of the best ever.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I think they see them as such because of the massive and extremely wide appeal they had, and their huge number of well-known and great songs. I think that's why they're picked for the honor of the best ever.

Yeah, that's the difference - I don't think they have many great songs.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Yeah, that's the difference - I don't think they have many great songs.

See, that's the taste thing, though.

Yesterday
Hey Jude
All My Loving
Can't Buy Me Love
Eleanor Rigby
Help!
Helter Skelter
I Feel Fine
I Want to Hold Your Hand
I'll Follow the Sun
Let It Be
Penny Lane
She Loves You
The Long and Winding Road

I would consider all of these to be great songs. There are others, too. That's not to say that many of these should be in the top 50 all-time songs, or anything. I would only put 2 in there.

Panda

42?
Premium Member
You know, I don't need more reasons not to like you, but you just give them to me anyway. I should have known you wouldn't like good music. :p

Ahh Matt I'm sorry you happen to have a bad taste in music. Still it is probably the least of your shortcomings, the main one obviously being your complete and utter lack of intelligence.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Ahh Matt I'm sorry you happen to have a bad taste in music. Still it is probably the least of your shortcomings, the main one obviously being your complete and utter lack of intelligence.

Yeah, I guess I can't expect the guy who can't recognize good music to save his life to be able to recognize intelligence either. Now, wipe that slobber off your face and try posting on a topic you know something about, like interior design.

Panda

42?
Premium Member
Yeah, I guess I can't expect the guy who can't recognize good music to save his life to be able to recognize intelligence either. Now, wipe that slobber off your face and try posting on a topic you know something about, like interior design.

Your just jealous because I'm Scottish that's why you spend some much time trying to be mean to me to cover up the fact you wish you were me.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
You're just jealous because I'm Scottish. That's why you spend some much time trying to be mean to me to cover up the fact you wish you were me.

Well, you're partly right. I wouldn't mind being Scottish. However, I'd want to be a bright and good example of a Scotsman (basically me as a Scotsman), not you.

Also, I corrected your horrible grammar for you.

Panda

42?
Premium Member
Well, you're partly right. I wouldn't mind being Scottish. However, I'd want to be a bright and good example of a Scotsman (basically me as a Scotsman), not you.

Also, I corrected your horrible grammar for you.

You bright? Isn't that an oxymoron? Or in your case is it just you're a moron? :p

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
If anyone is underrated, it would be George Harrison. It was because John Lennon and Paul McCartney kind of made him invisible (it wasn't their fault, though). My favorite Beatles song is Here Comes The Sun, which is a George Harrison song. Other Harrison Beatles songs are Something and While My Guitar Gently Weeps and the terrific Taxman. :)