• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most Over-Rated Bands

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Regarding U2's pretention....hey, Bono does quite a bit for his fellow humans, more than I'll ever have the means or connections to accomplish myself. If he wants to act a little lofty headed at times, I'll forgive him. :)

Thank you. I'm sure he can come off as pretentious, but he does also do quite a bit for the world.

OK, I'm really not sure how the Beatles could be overrated, but to each his own. In my top 10 songs, I'd probably put 5 U2 songs. Again, I'm not sure how they're overrated. You may not like their songs, but they have substance to them, and the only problems I can see with them is personal taste and dislike of the actual members, as in Bono. I think they're rated as one of the top bands in the rock era for a good reason.

When thinking of overrated, you have to consider what they're supposed to be. For instance, I don't think AC/DC is overrated. They may not make the most profound or technically excellent songs there are, but their songs are fun and light, and that's why they are rated so high. They're like the musical equivalent of an action movie. As long as you remember it's an action movie, it's all right.

This is why I wouldn't put Nickelback up there. This is the opposite side, though. I love AC/DC, but I hate Nickelback. Nickelback is probably one of my least favorite bands, but I wouldn't say they're overrated because I don't think they're known for their profundity or extra-special musical ability. People just like them because they're fun.

Also, Celind Dion is not overrated. She has a great voice and does some good songs. She is generally disliked because of her personality and persona, and then people carry that over to her music, but taken on its own her music is many times very good, and you simply can't deny that she has a great voice.

The most overrated are:
Nirvana
Pink Floyd
Metallica after 1993

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Oh, and, by the way, I think U2's latest album is crap. Just to let you know that my bias only extends so far.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
U2 is clearly the most debated band but I still can't believe more people are not saying anything about The Beatles in the OP... Look at pop music before The Beatles then listen to it evolve as they infuse pop music with many different styles of both folk and music from around the world...

PS I am not a massive Beatles fan. They have some tracks. That's it.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I think the 1950s through 1970s were the most creative, formative musical years in modern history. Of course now - looking back - some of the sounds even from the "supergroups" from that era sound simplistic or rudimentary, but they were very innovative at the time and changed the direction of music.

I don't like all of Mozart's music, but I have to admit he was a musical genuis and changed the direction of Western music. Same with (sigh) Paul McCartney - though I have no explanation for the incredible lameness of Wings.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Guns 'n' Roses

I can see why people like them, I used to, but I think their place is more as a gateway to better music. A "stairway to heaven", if you will ;). But it's the die-hard fans that I don't quite get. I can listen to a couple songs, but then I have to put them back on the shelf for something else. Some of their songs are in fact pretty good, but.... overrated band overall

Iron Maiden too. Alot of their songs sound rather similar (I should know, I ahve 9 of their albums LOL), and tend to get a bit old after a while, I find. Another "gateway" band, I feel.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Guns 'n' Roses

I can see why people like them, I used to, but I think their place is more as a gateway to better music. A "stairway to heaven", if you will ;). But it's the die-hard fans that I don't quite get. I can listen to a couple songs, but then I have to put them back on the shelf for something else. Some of their songs are in fact pretty good, but.... overrated band overall

Iron Maiden too. Alot of their songs sound rather similar (I should know, I ahve 9 of their albums LOL), and tend to get a bit old after a while, I find. Another "gateway" band, I feel.

I listen to the gunners because slash is an amazing guitarist. They are a really over rated band though agreed

Listen to the solo of Hallowed be thy name and then the number of the beast. Same cords 1 step up the board lol. I agree, but i still love maiden.

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
Iron Maiden is cool, huh huh m huh!
Beavis-and-Butthead.jpg

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Guns 'n' Roses

I don't think Guns N Roses is overrated. The album Appetite for Destruction is one of the best debut albums of all-time. Most of the songs on it are very good to outstanding. Their subsequent stuff didn't quite live up to that album, but it was still much better than average. I think they deserve the attention they get.

Iron Maiden, yes, they do have some formulas for their songs that make some sound very similar to each other, but they're still a great rock band. Piece of Mind is in my top 3 or 4 albums of all-time, and Phantom of the Opera is one of my favorite songs.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
3 Days Grace comes to my mind very quickly. As here, they are the most radio friendly band every, with more radio songs than any other band. Most radio bands are also over rated, as they are all very generic and sound alike. And don't get me started on the Aerosmith wanna-bes
Some others:
Green Day
Flyleaf
Saving Abel
Hinder
Buck Cherry
Theory of a Deadman

Panda

42?
Premium Member
Iron Maiden
Metallica
Green Day, even though I like them
Kaiser Chiefs, I'm sure they just play the same song over and over
U2, while they sound good musically not that great, though I do like them.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Iron Maiden
Metallica
Green Day, even though I like them
Kaiser Chiefs, I'm sure they just play the same song over and over
U2, while they sound good musically not that great, though I do like them.

You know, I don't need more reasons not to like you, but you just give them to me anyway. I should have known you wouldn't like good music. :p

And, it's not actually a band, but I forgot my number one most overrated artist, and that is...Prince. I wouldn't say his music is bad, but it's certainly nothing special. I don't understand why women find him attractive, and I don't understand why people are in love with his music (even from a technical standpoint).

eugenius

The Truth Lies Within
I got the MO now.

Take a popular band that you don't really like = Overrated.

Name a guitar player that is head and shoulders above Page, same goes for Bonham and John Paul Jones. Plant's voice and lyrics are more subjective than any other band member, although he is able to hit many fantastic notes and I love the poetry of his lyrics.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Yup, that seems to be the trend here.

Yeah, that wasn't really the original idea, but it will generally be the direction these threads take.

For instance, I don't dislike the bands I listed in the OP. In fact, I like a number of songs from each of them - for what they are. I just think they bands I listed in the OP are/were way more popular than they should be/have been, and/or their music is undeservingly put on a pedastal.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Yeah, that wasn't really the original idea, but it will generally be the direction these threads take.

For instance, I don't dislike the bands I listed in the OP. In fact, I like a number of songs from each of them - for what they are. I just think they bands I listed in the OP are/were way more popular than they should be/have been, and/or their music is undeservingly put on a pedastal.
I still don't get the inclusion of the Beatles. I mean sure, they were heavily influenced by Buddy Holly, at least at first, but they evolved beyond that and revolutionized pop.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I still don't get the inclusion of the Beatles. I mean sure, they were heavily influenced by Buddy Holly, at least at first, but they evolved beyond that and revolutionized pop.

Right - they were a good pop band, who wrote some really solid pop songs. However, many people see them as one of the greatest, if not the greatest, band that ever existed. This is why I think they're over-rated.