• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you boycott a business if...

Boycott?

• Yes

• No

• I don't know

• I don't care

• I would join them

• I would actively boycott against them

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

DavidFirth

I would because the person is not respecting my 1st amendment right to freedom of religion. I would boycott the business by refusing to do business with them.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
While I voted yes, I'm honestly not sure. Hardly anyone recognizes Druidry as a thing, and I would honestly be kind of impressed if a business specifically targeted Druidry. Also, curious. I'd find it hard to believe that they really mean Druidry. I mean, how one could take offense to story loving, science loving, tree hugging folks like Druids is kinda hard to comprehend.

As it stands, I already effectively boycott (or give little business to) companies that are not in keeping with my values. Which is... well... pretty much everything that doesn't involve me scavenging from dumpsters, getting second-hand goods, or purchasing from locally-owned (or non-chain, non-megacorp) businesses.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I would because the person is not respecting my 1st amendment right to freedom of religion.
I guess this would depend on the form their bias against your religion (or atheism or whatever you believe) took. Unless they prevented you from exercising your religious rights they have every right to be biased against your religion.

Nous

Premium Member
they actively were biased against your religion (or atheism or whatever you believe)?
It's a good question. It makes me realize that I don't have any metaphysical commitment that a business is going to oppose or be biased against. But in the neverland in which something like that might happen, I would be more likely to want to debate them than to boycott their products--especially if they are exclusive sellers of a product I want. But it seems to me that there are not any such exclusive sellers. It seems multiple businesses sell most everything I normally buy.

In any case, I often read philosophical literature that I am fairly sure upfront I am going to disagree with. I do that in order to try to understand (and rip up) their arguments.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
they actively were biased against your religion (or atheism or whatever you believe)?

I voted no. How can I promote tolerance if I can't be tolerant myself?

IMO boycotting only promotes further animosity towards your belief. What I'd probably do is ask to sit down with them and address their concerns.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Sure, that's easy. You could boycott Coke and grab a Pepsi, boycott Burger King and go to McDonalds. But what if it was something you need and it was no other option. What if there was only one grocery store, would you boycott it and grow your own food? One bank, would you stop using money or checks etc?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Probably.

Then again, if I saw fit to call them biased instead of simply divergent, it is probably the case that I would rather boycott them if given the choice. The specifics of why I find them biased are not very relevant except perhaps to change my decision at some point.

I would because the person is not respecting my 1st amendment right to freedom of religion. I would boycott the business by refusing to do business with them.

The only people who need to respect the 1st amendment are Congress, though.

Prejudiced people and groups that are not a part of Congress are not bound by it, mainly because they lack the power to enact laws.

Of course, they may or may not be bound by laws proper, which are not supposed to judge on the validity of religions themselves, but instead on the practices.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
It would really depend how much I needed their products. If they were the only game in town (I'm in a rural area) then I'd just suck it up and get what I wanted and leave. Fortunately, most business owners are not suicidal enough to wear their religion and politics on their sleeve. Oh, and it does help to live in an atheist majority region. :)

DavidFirth

I guess this would depend on the form their bias against your religion (or atheism or whatever you believe) took. Unless they prevented you from exercising your religious rights they have every right to be biased against your religion.

And I also have the right not to do business with them, a right I would exercise.

DavidFirth

What if they were biased against your agnosticism?

DavidFirth

Sure, that's easy. You could boycott Coke and grab a Pepsi, boycott Burger King and go to McDonalds. But what if it was something you need and it was no other option. What if there was only one grocery store, would you boycott it and grow your own food? One bank, would you stop using money or checks etc?

This is a good point I hadn't considered. I guess it would depend on the extent of their bias and how far they were willing to go with it.

Jumi

I've bought from businesses that probably hated me for being who I am or my beliefs. I've boycotted those that kill or act unjustly against people for having different beliefs, even if they're not my own beliefs. If I boycotted everything I saw as unjust or ignorant, I'd be living off the land somewhere.