• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are your core beliefs?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Seva; taking it further: to serve and protect, even at the cost of my own life. It sounds cornball, but it's what I believe.

gnostic

The Lost One
Roast potatoes or fried mash potatoes, roasted sweet corn cobs and roasted baby carrots, and let's not forget the all-important mushroom gravy - all go very well with roasted leg of lamb.

Let's eat! :eat:

AmerikanZen

I would be someone with a traditional Christian background/heritage leaning toward a Buddhist worldview.

Christianity - the personal Savior Jesus Christ.
Buddhism - the teachings of the Buddha

on the other hand ~

me & God ...

Alceste

Vagabond
1) dont act any dumber than you actually are.
2) live to make your future self proud.
3) always know where your towel is.

I like acting dumber than I actually am. It's like learning another language. I think people appreciate it when I make a few spelling mistakes in my texts or emails, and sound unsure of myself when stating an opinion. I also used to get a lot of crap for using big words. People assumed I was doing that on purpose, when in fact it's a lot more work thinking of shorter, less accurate words. But, I don't want to make people feel stupid, so I put that little extra effort in. :p

Me Myself

Back to my username
What belief(s) are at the base of your life and your approach to the world?

I think I have 2 core beliefs.

(1) Objectivity is unknowable.
(2) I wish to live and die without regret.

How about you?

Heh, and here I thought I was actually going to need to think mine :p

I choose the same as you, and indeed the d be my core beliefs.

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
Damasio holds (what I consider) an interesting opinion on that - he reckons that Descartes doubted God too but made that opaque in his writing in order to duck the wrath of Rome.

Anyways, thanks for the interesting reply :)

Interesting theory. I don't know enough about history to know how valid his theory is though :D

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
"Live for your Self and you live in vain. Live for Others and you live again" -Bob Marley

[youtube]AvVKHUCleuk[/youtube]
Bob Marley & the Wailers - Pass It On - YouTube

This song really captures it for me.
Sure it could be said in a longer way... with most lists....
But thought it would be more interesting.

I adapted Self here intentionally to reflect my own Path's language.

Now that isn't exactly how I'd state it myself, but wanted to clarify something since the word 'other' is in the quote I shared above.

In Rastafari the phrase 'I and I' implies Oneness of God which is one of my core belief worth mentioning outside of the song. I myself extend that to Oneness of Everything, so an adapted Oneness perhaps.... perhaps this IS what is actually implied by the Oneness of God in the Rasta-philosophy.

And here is how it's described on the Wiki-page in particularly about Rastafari:
I and I is a complex term, referring to the oneness of Jah (God) and every human. Rastafari scholar E. E. Cashmore: "I and I is an expression to totalize the concept of oneness, the oneness of two persons. So God is within all of us and we're one people in fact. The term is often used in place of "you and I" or "we" among Rastafari, implying that both persons are united under the love of Jah.

Sure... the song doesn't complete my list and perhaps I can come back with more later.

But over all... the essence I experience in and from that song does justice to me Core principles.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
My core belief:

God alone is really real All our 'individual' experiences are play/illusion , Nothing to get hung up about. I am one with God.

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
I believe everything boils down to power.

I believe everything that everyone does is an attempt to gain or maintain control of as much as possible for as long as possible.

I believe 'good things' are the things that gain more power than 'bad things'. This is the closest thing to objective morality that I have found.

pico8

pico8
i would ditch every core belief and treat the world as an illusion
(It's very inticing), i could accept evry missed oppurtunity and mistake
because they never happened, and see only love and nothing else.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I have a few:
-Treat people the way you wish to be treated (within reason, I mean, if you are a masochist, that won't really work out too well)
-People are individuals- No one is the same as another.
-People have to come to their own conclusions
-You don't have to treat everyone the same but you do have to treat them equally.
-Respect others unless they give you reason not to respect them
-Although we should love others, we don't necessarily have to like them.