• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

United States Now Leading the World for COVID-19 Infections

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Infection rate. Not absolute infections.
We know the number of confirmed cases in each.
But without knowing the population, we can't determine
the ratio of infected people to the total population....if
that is what you mean by infection rate.

Wait....
The confirmed cases aren't projections for the country,
but rather for the 100,000?

Shad

Veteran Member
You know for certain the World Health Organizations stats are more accurate than Johns Hopkins, eh?

China has lied to WHO multiple times already. So it isn't about WHO so much as the nations providing data to WHO being accurate or not. I do not trust numbers from China. The only point about WHO is if they are being played again while not being skeptical of China's claims.

Me, I'm going with Johns Hopkins.

Same problem as the above. Trust in numbers from a nation that does not warrant good faith.

Terry Sampson

Have you seen this? I'm uninspired by him.
I think I did see that; and while I can understand your inability to be inspired by him and would, under normal circumstances, agree with you, I note the date of the video (and that particular press conference) was March 4th, and the fact that Pence's performance was NOT preceded by Trump. That last fact moved me to wonder where Trump was, so I looked around and found this video which I'm pretty sure was filmed prior to the one.you commented on

Perhaps Pence's performance in the video that I Iink to here may be more to your liking. If you listen to subsequent comments in the video, you may enjoy the thorough butt-licking that takes place, Pay close attention to some of the airline executives' words that give the distinct impression that Pence met with the executives, and Trump came in late to that meeting.

suncowiam

Herd immunity is a valid argument.

I think sometimes people should finally start looking at what it means to face one's own mortality and recognize we are , like it or not, a part of Nature and the way things work alongside the plethora of other species on this planet who face the exact same things respectively in terms of infection and sickness.

I have the opinion if we get too artificially dependent, then we will get to a point where we will be so biologically weak if that dependency is lost, that we will have those figures go off the scale the levels of the black plague in the medieval days for which even under those extreme conditions, those countries clearly survived with their populations intact and recovering.

Black Death Left a Mark on Human Genome | Science | AAAS

I've already accepted the prospects of my own mortality, and I'm willing to admit I am a part of nature.

I'm not afraid to face my death any more, because I can accept that as being the way life works. Even if I don't live through this, I know others will survive and a population will be stronger for it for future generations.

You can speak of your own life. BUT please do not speak for others.

You have no right to speak for our lives.

Herd immunity is not a valid argument if there is another strategy that can reduce the risk of further lives.

Your arguments can lead to the discrimination of the disabled and genetically malformed. Or worst yet, one can falsely argue subjectively what is considered genetically malformed. It is not a valid argument with today's technology and our advancements in health.

We know with certainty that a vaccine will be created to beat this. All we need to do is wait it out in a safe environment and practices while technology catches up. There is no need to risk further lives.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
You can speak of your own life. BUT please do not speak for others.

You have no right to speak for our lives.

Herd immunity is not a valid argument if there is another strategy that can reduce the risk of further lives.

Your arguments can lead to the discrimination of the disabled and genetically malformed. Or worst yet, one can falsely argue subjectively what is considered genetically malformed. It is not a valid argument with today's technology and our advancements in health.

We know with certainty that a vaccine will be created to beat this. All we need to do is wait it out in a safe environment and practices while technology catches up. There is no need to risk further lives.
You're correct. I don't speak for everyone's lives.

I never implied we stop seeking cures and ways to stem the the spread. What I am putting forth is the fact that we need to accept our mortality.

In the meantime however I think people at best face straightforward reality with the understanding that life doesn't always offer a way out of situations and circumstances of which is a matter of place and circumstance. there are always people that are going to make it to the 'finish line' and they're always be people that don't. I'm cognizant of that reality with the knowledge that this could be the day that I die from something that a cure could be found tomorrow. It's how things work.

The fact remains we will die someday. That's not an if. Its when.

You do what you can until you simply can't do it no more, and it's considerably easier when you understand that as opposed to desperately grasping for things that you cannot ever hope to possess in terms of thinking that it's going to be forever.

It just isnt. But that's okay because I know and am aware the universe isn't made for me to continue past a certain point dictated by time and circumstance.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
To be fair, many many countries were in this race (including my own).
I think there's still a chance we beat you next time.
That's unlikely, imo.

I visit an extremist right-wing forum (morbid curiosity) and I was surprised to read that some Americans are holding Covid-19 parties for children to attend. The consensus of opinion among such groups is that modern medecine and science are satanic evils and that if Measles parties (1950's) were wise then so can covid parties be today.

I posted a note on one of these threads to explain that my mother took me to a measles party in 1952 which is why my right eye is very disabled with acute astigmatism, and this was replied to, explaining that I was and am an ungrateful child seeing as how my mother tried so hard for me.

The reason why (I think) America will be ravaged by covid sickness is because many of the people can, do and have responded to President Trump's tweets and reactions.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Thank you, Mr. Trump. Your incompetent response to the pandemic has made America number one again.

Yes.
I think the President's response has been worse than
incompetent, worse than irresponsible. Reckless might be a more correct description.

You were kind to him.

I just posted (above this post) explaining that some more extreme religious Americans are supporting the holding of covid-19 children's parties. Now that takes some believing, I know, but it is true that I have conversed with such foks.

And the attacks on Asians are not helped by Mr Trump. We are getting such moronic attacks in the UK but Boris soes not call Covid-19 'the Chinese Virus'. !!!!

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
That's unlikely, imo.

I visit an extremist right-wing forum (morbid curiosity) and I was surprised to read that some Americans are holding Covid-19 parties for children to attend. The consensus of opinion among such groups is that modern medecine and science are satanic evils and that if Measles parties (1950's) were wise then so can covid parties be today.

I posted a note on one of these threads to explain that my mother took me to a measles party in 1952 which is why my right eye is very disabled with acute astigmatism, and this was replied to, explaining that I was and am an ungrateful child seeing as how my mother tried so hard for me.

The reason why (I think) America will be ravaged by covid sickness is because many of the people can, do and have responded to President Trump's tweets and reactions.

I'll see your extremists and offer you everyday Australian 'She'll-be-right-mate'ism.

Melbourne beaches to close after people flout warnings to 'stay home'

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Herd theory hasn't been credibly supported for this particular pandemic, as far as I am aware.
It does apply to some things, but do you have any reason to believe it's a positive in this specific outbreak?
Second part of the question, do you think herd theory is part of a deliberate strategy?

I like the term 'herd theory' even better than @Kangaroo Feathers 'tribalism'

I must try to remember that......

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Hmmmm........ OK....... I'll fold.

Yeah..... bit that's just Sydney mobs in bikinis and speedos.
Hang on...... Sydney-Bondi ?? I need to google that.

Bondi is Sydney, and there were thousands there a few days back. Things have gotten more serious but there were still a lot of people on St Kilda beach (Melbourne) today.

Flogs.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think I did see that; and while I can understand your inability to be inspired by him and would, under normal circumstances, agree with you, I note the date of the video (and that particular press conference) was March 4th, and the fact that Pence's performance was NOT preceded by Trump. That last fact moved me to wonder where Trump was, so I looked around and found this video which I'm pretty sure was filmed prior to the one.you commented on

Perhaps Pence's performance in the video that I Iink to here may be more to your liking. If you listen to subsequent comments in the video, you may enjoy the thorough butt-licking that takes place, Pay close attention to some of the airline executives' words that give the distinct impression that Pence met with the executives, and Trump came in late to that meeting.
Pence could very well be qualified to be the point guy in this crisis
management. If I were Prez, I'd delegate that job too. (A manager
who wears too many hats is a poor manager.) I'm not judging Pence
too harshly for his numbers slip up, but neither do I give too much
credit for his being a far better communicator than Trump. (That's
a very low bar to exceed.)
I'm most concerned with what they discover to be the most effective
strategies of coping with this, implementing them, & creating a
system to handle similar future challenges.
Whether Trump handles it well or poorly might soon become moot.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
i think the big negatives for me with regard to the current administration is that there was a group of folks tasked with handling such events which was disbanded in 2018 (since we had no pandemic, right?) and the CDC (which has it's own set of issues) also had it's budget cut by said administration.
Thinking about your post some more...
I can see that disaster/crisis preparedness should be a permanent
cabinet level organization....like a Department Of Peace. Such
matters deserve high level continual attention.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That's unlikely, imo.

Ya know.....I can really see you as an ungrateful child.
Seriously though, there are advantages to exposing children
to diseases & toxins. The questions are about when, which,
& how much. Corvid parties.....I'm highly skeptical.
Childrens' immune systems begin development the very moment
they're born, acquiring the mother's microbiome upon immediate
contact. This becomes important clear thru adulthood.

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
U.S. surpasses China, Italy in coronavirus cases; California sees spike as well

The United States has surpassed Italy and China in having the most confirmed coronavirus cases, according to a global case tracker run by Johns Hopkins University.

California now has 3,910 cases and 80 deaths, a major spike over the last few days. State officials say the COVID-19 growth rate is such that it could overwhelm hospitals in the coming days and weeks.

As of Thursday afternoon, the United States was reporting more than 82,400 cases, above China’s tally of more than 81,700 and Italy’s count of more than 80,500.

However, it should be noted that we're still only in 6th place when measured by number of deaths from coronavirus.

Italy still tops the list of countries with the most coronavirus deaths, reporting more than 8,200.

Spain has reported more than 4,100 deaths; and China, more than 3,200.The U.S. has reported more than 1,100 deaths, according to Johns Hopkins.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Good. That'll means we will probably be the first out of all this as our immune systems adapt and adjust.
You mean while SOME of your immune systems adapt and adjust. It's a pretty easy thing to simply ignore all those WILL DIE, as a consequence. And maybe that's okay with you. As America heads toward the imminent 100 million cases within the next 45 days, I hope you will consider what you said.