• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

United States Now Leading the World for COVID-19 Infections

Terry Sampson

1. Pence could very well be qualified to be the point guy in this crisis management.
  2. If I were Prez, I'd delegate that job too.
  3. (A manager who wears too many hats is a poor manager.)
  4. I'm not judging Pence too harshly for his numbers slip up, but neither do I give too much credit for his being a far better communicator than Trump.
  5. (That's a very low bar to exceed.)
  6. I'm most concerned with what they discover to be the most effective strategies of coping with this, implementing them, & creating a system to handle similar future challenges.
  7. Whether Trump handles it well or poorly might soon become moot.

1. The difference for me is: With the VP I have to hold my nose when I eat; with POTUS, I have to wear a blindfold and hold my nose.
  2. I think he should ... never mind.
  3. Aye.
  4. Agreed
  5. Indeed
  6. I'm not watching too closely, that's bad for my blood pressure. But, right now, I'm planning to write in Cuomo and Fauci for POTUS and VP in November.
  7. I'm just wondering which church service he plans to attend.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
There exist people in our world that without angst or pang, see opportunity in chaos and in difficult situations in general. They will not hesitate to attach the magnitude of a complex situation to an individual, they can't help themselves. It is what it is.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
  1. The difference for me is: With the VP I have to hold my nose when I eat; with POTUS, I have to wear a blindfold and hold my nose.
  2. I think he should ... never mind.
  3. Aye.
  4. Agreed
  5. Indeed
  6. I'm not watching too closely, that's bad for my blood pressure. But, right now, I'm planning to write in Cuomo and Fauci for POTUS and VP in November.
  7. I'm just wondering which church service he plans to attend.
Cuomo is certainly strident, but I don't see broad understanding.
I still think the Dems should run Yang as Prez.
Gabbard could be VP.
(Women are good servants.)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There exist people in our world that without angst or pang, see opportunity in chaos and in difficult situations in general. They will not hesitate to attach the magnitude of a complex situation to an individual, they can't help themselves. It is what it is.
The first 2 sentences seem to conflict.
I think the latter kind of people are the ones enduring angst.
To see opportunity in times of woe is best served by equanimity.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
I find it extremely interesting that this article was originally written on Jan 31, 2020. I know because I booked marked it. Now going back to re-read it, the on-line date has been changed to March 26, 2020.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2001316

Early Transmission Dynamics in Wuhan, China, of Novel Coronavirus–Infected PneumoniaList of authors.Qun Li, M.Med., Xuhua Guan, Ph.D., Peng Wu, Ph.D., Xiaoye Wang, M.P.H., et al.

March 26, 2020
N Engl J Med 2020; 382:1199-1207
DOI: 10.1056/NEJMoa2001316
Chinese Translation 中文翻译

It was known on 1/31/2020 how this virus is transmitted and what measures were needed to be taken in order to slow the spread.

If this had been taken seriously then, we would not be in the situation we are now. It was ignored by the administration. I am not usually a conspiracy theorist, but this makes me question why the Trump administration did not take the information seriously when it was first available in January. I found the article about 2 weeks ago. I also wonder why the date of the article has been changed.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I find it extremely interesting that this article was originally written on Jan 31, 2020. I know because I booked marked it. Now going back to re-read it, the on-line date has been changed to March 26, 2020.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2001316

Early Transmission Dynamics in Wuhan, China, of Novel Coronavirus–Infected PneumoniaList of authors.Qun Li, M.Med., Xuhua Guan, Ph.D., Peng Wu, Ph.D., Xiaoye Wang, M.P.H., et al.

March 26, 2020
N Engl J Med 2020; 382:1199-1207
DOI: 10.1056/NEJMoa2001316
Chinese Translation 中文翻译

It was known on 1/31/2020 how this virus is transmitted and what measures were needed to be taken in order to slow the spread.

If this had been taken seriously then, we would not be in the situation we are now. It was ignored by the administration. I am not usually a conspiracy theorist, but this makes me question why the Trump administration did not take the information seriously when it was first available in January. I found the article about 2 weeks ago. I also wonder why the date of the article has been changed.
Perusing that article, I notice that some info wasn't addressed, eg, virus
life on various surfaces. This & other info has been in flux, so I don't think
we could say that the virus & measures to take against it were fully known then.
This is not to excuse our lack of preparedness, or mistakes in addressing it,
but rather to recognize that this is a learning process. Mistakes will be made,
knowledge will be gained, & we damn well better learn from it.
I hope that all levels of government take advance steps to address the next crisis.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Thank you, Mr. Trump. Your incompetent response to the pandemic has made America number one again.

US now leads the world in known coronavirus cases

Coronavirus Live Updates: U.S. Now Has More Known Cases Than Any Other Country

I hate to say it -- honestly, I do -- but what we've learned about this virus is that it is going to get much, much worse before it begins to get better. And that, quite honestly, has been in very large part due to the lack-lustre response of the Trump administration.

Quiddity

No doubt.

I may need to go back to grammar school given that I don't see the conflict.

Quiddity

I see it now.

You speak of temperance in situations.

I speak of difficult situations and how the thought process itself is wrestling from within. It need not bring anger, etc. You can struggle in peace.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
Perusing that article, I notice that some info wasn't addressed, eg, virus
life on various surfaces. This & other info has been in flux, so I don't think
we could say that the virus & measures to take against it were fully known then.
This is not to excuse our lack of preparedness, or mistakes in addressing it,
but rather to recognize that this is a learning process. Mistakes will be made,
knowledge will be gained, & we damn well better learn from it.
I hope that all levels of government take advance steps to address the next crisis.
Absolutely agree.

Rational Agnostic

Oh you know so much, do you? Then please tell me how many people will die before "herd immunity" (as it is called) is acquired in sufficient numbers to stop a pandemic in a country the size of the United States. HINT: It's in the seven digits range.

Predictions like this are pretty much meaningless. No one knows how many people would die before "herd immunity" is achieved. I think it's important to keep some social distancing and businesses closed and certainly don't think we should just let it rip, but the seven digit death toll figure is likely WAY high. Extrapolation beyond the known data is a common mistake in statistics, so I wouldn't believe those projections, even if they're coming from so-called "experts."

BTW, I am currently pursuing a Master's Degree in Statistics and am tracking the virus myself, so I do have some qualifications to talk about the error of extrapolation.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Predictions like this are pretty much meaningless. No one knows how many people would die before "herd immunity" is achieved. I think it's important to keep some social distancing and businesses closed and certainly don't think we should just let it rip, but the seven digit death toll figure is likely WAY high. Extrapolation beyond the known data is a common mistake in statistics, so I wouldn't believe those projections, even if they're coming from so-called "experts."

I don't see in your comments that you have given us any reason to disbelieve the projections other than emotion-based suspicion of high numbers. Good luck with that. I too wish reality was what I feel in my chest it should be. If it were up to me, no one would die from this at all.

Rational Agnostic

I don't see in your comments that you have given us any reason to disbelieve the projections other than emotion-based suspicion of high numbers. Good luck with that.

And you haven't given any reason to believe the projections other than appeal to authority. I'm currently working on a Master's Degree in statistics, so I do have some credentials.

Extrapolation way beyond existing data is almost always unreliable, and a seven figure death toll in the United States is highly unrealistic. For one thing, we know that not everyone needs to get the virus to attain herd immunity. A small proportion of the population could get it (ideally healthy individuals), isolate themselves, and then be a "buffer" against further spread of the virus. The combination of this type of herd immunity along with the development of a vaccine should lead to the majority of the population being immune to the virus in the next 12-18 months, while minimizing the deaths.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I see it now.

You speak of temperance in situations.

I speak of difficult situations and how the thought process itself is wrestling from within. It need not bring anger, etc. You can struggle in peace.
Sage advice you gots there.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Actually, if you were familiar with broadly based news,
then you too would've seen a variety of responses
from various experts & leaders.

I see that you posted a video about Trump.
There is more going on than what he says or does.
I know this is an anti-Trump thread, & doomed to
being echo chamberie. But I'm not playing that game.
Policies & advise have varied greatly from locale to
locale, state to state, & country to country.
This is, at base, a medical issue -- though it has quickly turned into an economic one, to be sure.

And the advice that the Administration was given from the experts in the medical field was precisely the advice that Trump didn't want to hear, and therefore ignored for far too long.

I am not trying to slam him -- this is simply stating a fact. If, on economic issues, Trump decides to listen to his chef because he makes the best burgers anywhere, I'd make the same point.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
This is, at base, a medical issue -- though it has quickly turned into an economic one, to be sure.
It should always be both.
I hate these attitudes of looking at one thing,
with intentional disregard for related ones.

Yes, I am a hater.
And the advice that the Administration was given from the experts in the medical field was precisely the advice that Trump didn't want to hear, and therefore ignored for far too long.
I cannot defend the administration.
But I do say that health care policy & economics are in bed together.
Both must cooperate to achieve the happiest endings practical.
I am not trying to slam him -- this is simply stating a fact. If, on economic issues, Trump decides to listen to his chef because he makes the best burgers anywhere, I'd make the same point.
The analogy escapes me.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
You mean while SOME of your immune systems adapt and adjust. It's a pretty easy thing to simply ignore all those WILL DIE, as a consequence. And maybe that's okay with you. As America heads toward the imminent 100 million cases within the next 45 days, I hope you will consider what you said.
I'm headed out early tomorrow back to work myself after a couple of days off.

My employer knows my health situation, the government knows my health situation, and of course I am myself well aware of my health situation.

It's okay. My cup is upside down on the table when I leave the house. I find that I don't do this entirely for me anymore.

I know there are people in this world who are not accepting of mortality, and that we ourselves are an integral part of something called nature. Its really ok. I understand why you were saying that.

There are people out there who are still taking risks. Please aknowledge of what potentially can happen to those still out there taking the risks. They will die too as much as the people who are not out there.
People will die anyways regardless if there's a virus or not.

The only thing I considered what was said comes from this native American saying...

When the blood in your veins returns to the sea, and the earth in your bones returns to the ground, perhaps then you will remember that this land does not belong to you, it is you who belongs to this land.

I realized its all about the role you have in nature. It initially took a heart attack, but I really do remember now.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
China has lied to WHO multiple times already. So it isn't about WHO so much as the nations providing data to WHO being accurate or not. I do not trust numbers from China. The only point about WHO is if they are being played again while not being skeptical of China's claims.

Same problem as the above. Trust in numbers from a nation that does not warrant good faith.
I'm agreeing with you on China. Today I read that China is not counting asymptomatic people who test positive. That's dishonest.