• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Rapture, athiests and agnostics

For all you athiests and agnostics out there:

If the Rapture of the church were to happen, would you become an instant believer that God exists? How hard do you think it would be to change your ways, seeing as you all probably have arguments for why God doesn't exist now?

By the same token, what would YOU think if the Religious Right leads us eventually into a nuclear hollicost against Muslim, Hindu and Marxists powers, something you might call, "the Battle or Armageddon," and then Christ again failed to appear even after the real destruction of the world?

I see that as a lot more likely in time! It concerns the whole human race. Anyone share my concern?

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate

If the Rapture of the church were to happen, would you become an instant believer that God exists? How hard do you think it would be to change your ways, seeing as you all probably have arguments for why God doesn't exist now?
If the Rapture happens, can I move into one of the vacated homes in a prime location that I presently cannot afford? After all, its previous occupant is in a better place and has no more need for walking distance to shops and restaurants, right? :angel2:

des

Actually it does concern me. There are people who don't have much vested interest in THIS world, as they are sure Jesus is coming back soon. The environment, war and peace, etc. mean little to them. And these people have very high positions in the US government or at least have positions of influence.

There are even people who are trying undermine any attempt to have peace in the middle east. This is where it is all supposed to happen. Some very conservative Jews are very happy to go along with this, even though it the only good Jew, in these people's opinion is a converted one. I think it is quite an odd situation.

--des

By the same token, what would YOU think if the Religious Right leads us eventually into a nuclear hollicost against Muslim, Hindu and Marxists powers, something you might call, "the Battle or Armageddon," and then Christ again failed to appear even after the real destruction of the world?

I see that as a lot more likely in time! It concerns the whole human race. Anyone share my concern?

Aasimar

Atheist
If anything even similar to the biblical rapture happened (i.e. nuclear war), there would be religious fanatics going crazy and new religions starting (Jesus will have a 3rd coming, I found written in my Jell-O this afternoon! He's giving the sinners a second chance!) Unless absolutely everything that the bible said will happen occurs verbatim, I'll still me my atheist self (Assuming some religious lunatic didn't' decide his imaginary friend wanted my blood, soul, thetans, whatever.) If four horsemen come down from the sky and start mowing people down (And by four horsemen I mean.... four men on horses. Not planes with missiles. Not nuclear weapons. Not planes with horses painted on the side.) That'd be a step toward convincing me. And while if revelation happened verbatim it may convince me that your "God" exists, I probably still would not follow him, because I would disagree with his method.

There is a reason why Revelations was added to the Bible. Its authenticity was in grave doubt, but it was needed inorder to round-out the faith. All religions or ideologies have to set a common goal for believers. By so doing, people work together better in doing what seems needed to achieve the goal. Marxism has the creation of a communal society (!), Christianity has the Millenium setting up of "God's Kingdom," and Hinduism has Nirvana. Judaism sets the world under old Hebrew law under the rule of their god. And our secular ideology sets up "the pursuit of happiness" as our goal. It has served us by serving the corporate world which has used trillions of dollar in advertising to convert us all into "shoppers" and "consumers" dedicated to the collecting of "stuff."

We need a new "secular" (Non-Theist) ideology that sets the goal of building a new civilizatrion, implementing birth control to stop the over-crowding of the globe, protect its environment and lead us on to the colonizing of outer space. We need such a "wave of the future" advanced enough to eventually replace all the other old, divisive and disrupting faiths.

I'm working on it! How about you?

Brough
civilization-overview.com

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

If the Rapture of the church were to happen, would you become an instant believer that God exists?

I suppose so. That wouldn't necessarily make me a believer in the religious sense, though.

How hard do you think it would be to change your ways, seeing as you all probably have arguments for why God doesn't exist now?

It depends on what you mean exactly. Give me a good enough reason and I am likely to change my ways.

But regarding the existence of God and/or of some version of the Rapture?

Not very likely, to say the least.

ellenjanuary

There is no Rapture in the Bible. It's like three lines of scripture spun up into another Christian horror story back in the thirties by some Southern minister on a bender.

And Revelation is what happens when your prophecy comes from mushrooms and witchcraft rather than the Holy Spirit...

And Christianity spawns some of the nastiest, most horrible lowlifes...

I have lost any and all respect for that religion. It is as if alla that Satan, Satan, Satan yammer spread a psychological virus amongst the sheep...

You do know, Red Mesa is in Arizona? And if Jesus never was, some Grumpy Ol' Man might consider them a tribe of Jews, far lost, into idolatry?

Yikes...

Canada, anyone?

ellenjanuary

If anything even similar to the biblical rapture happened (i.e. nuclear war), there would be religious fanatics going crazy and new religions starting (Jesus will have a 3rd coming, I found written in my Jell-O this afternoon! He's giving the sinners a second chance!) Unless absolutely everything that the bible said will happen occurs verbatim, I'll still me my atheist self (Assuming some religious lunatic didn't' decide his imaginary friend wanted my blood, soul, thetans, whatever.) If four horsemen come down from the sky and start mowing people down (And by four horsemen I mean.... four men on horses. Not planes with missiles. Not nuclear weapons. Not planes with horses painted on the side.) That'd be a step toward convincing me. And while if revelation happened verbatim it may convince me that your "God" exists, I probably still would not follow him, because I would disagree with his method.

Well, it's a vision... Four irregularly shaped asteroids, might look like horsemen... Kentucky... Utah... Oh, kay... I am through watching the News...

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I must have lived a very sheltered life for the past 76 years. I have never heard the "Rapture" mentioned in any church I have attended.

How would we tell the difference between a sufficiently advanced alien species performing this after having read through the Bible and the real thing? If something which happens that that the Bible predicted this does not mean that God is the only possible explanation or the most plausable.

waitasec

Veteran Member

oh brother
:facepalm:

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
If the raptures happen and I knew it was a certain religion that was saved the first thing in my mind would be I hope my friends and family were saved. If I wasn't its ok because any so called Lord of the Universe who can design and construct entire planets and galaxies yet cares enough for minute things such as religions and condemns others to torment is not a god id want to be with.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If the raptures happen and I knew it was a certain religion that was saved the first thing in my mind would be I hope my friends and family were saved. If I wasn't its ok because any so called Lord of the Universe who can design and construct entire planets and galaxies yet cares enough for minute things such as religions and condemns others to torment is not a god id want to be with.
Hypothetically, why would a god give me personal standards which he doesn't live up to?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank

Please describe the scenario in more detail. Thanks.

St Giordano Bruno

I would sincerely apologise to that God for not reading any credible evidence or discovering any such evidence because there was next to nothing of it on this planet at least.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Rapture is associated with the Christian God. I do not want the christian afterlife so it would change nothing for me.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin

I have no idea. It's kind of like asking me what if a dragon landed on my house. I'd probably start by being very confused, then convinced I was going mental, but pending further inquiries I probably would become a theist.

As for how it would change me personally... Probably very little. I'd still regard religious belief as corrupting, I'd still regard the Christian God as a malicious, hate-filled bully and I'd probably still be the same ultra-logical science loving guy I am now. Then again, it's hard to say.

FluentYank3825

Ironic Idealist
I'd grab my bikini and some sun lotion and get ready for a nice tan in hell. :D

I'd make sure to bring some hot dogs, marshmallows, and popcorn with me. :D

I'd have to see who was responsible first before investing myself in it

Why should it be difficult? We would simply continue to do as we had in the past: go where the evidence leads.

I share this same sentiment

I think i've said this before and others seem to be hinting at the same thing, but if the rapture were to happen and i was left behind with all the 'unchosen' i would honestly be relieved. In a world of mixed ideals and confusing doctrines, i would rather be left behind with all the honestly mistaken and moral people of differant faiths or with the struggling people who already felt abandoned, than be taken to sit on a cloud with a god who would condemn anyone to a fate of torment after living on this crazy little mixed up planet.
:rolleyes:

Hear hear! :bow:

ATTENTION

Aliens are coming to abduct all the good looking and sexy people. You will be safe. I am just writing this to say goodbye.

Aww, shucks! I need to marry a good looking, sexy person then if I am to have any guarantee of survival! :eek:

You do know, Red Mesa is in Arizona? And if Jesus never was, some Grumpy Ol' Man might consider them a tribe of Jews, far lost, into idolatry?

Wasn't the film "The Greatest Story Ever Told" filmed in Arizona? If so, then there's strong evidence to suggest that the Rapture'll occur there. Guaranteed! ;)

How would we tell the difference between a sufficiently advanced alien species performing this after having read through the Bible and the real thing? If something which happens that that the Bible predicted this does not mean that God is the only possible explanation or the most plausable.

Righto! I myself wonder sometimes if Jesus Christ was an alien disguised as a human, with super advanced technology. Pretty strange idea, right?