• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Rapture, athiests and agnostics

cfer

For all you athiests and agnostics out there:

If the Rapture of the church were to happen, would you become an instant believer that God exists? How hard do you think it would be to change your ways, seeing as you all probably have arguments for why God doesn't exist now?

Dr. Nosophoros

That is impossible to say, just as it would probably be impossible for believers to say how they would react if they found out everything they believed in was false.

If it was to happen, I would probably crap my pants first, then believe, but I would check the travel brochure of both destinations closely (and take both with more than a few grains of salt) before I chose - what would you do if you found out you were wrong the whole time?

Saw11_2000

LOL, if that were to happen, it would be too late for all of us even if we did start believing. At least I would have some company here :)

Circle_One

cfer said:
For all you athiests and agnostics out there:

If the Rapture of the church were to happen, would you become an instant believer that God exists? How hard do you think it would be to change your ways, seeing as you all probably have arguments for why God doesn't exist now?
I'd grab my bikini and some sun lotion and get ready for a nice tan in hell. :D

Saw11_2000

It might be difficult to study information during the rapture. Some pretty not so nice things are supposed to happen for the people that are left on Earth. We might get a little distracted. =D

cfer

Saw11_2000 said:
It might be difficult to study information during the rapture. Some pretty not so nice things are supposed to happen for the people that are left on Earth. We might get a little distracted. =D
Yeah, but from what I hear, immoral behavior is supposed to run rampant. At least that's what the Left Behind series says.

That means that there'll be strip clubs on every corner!
:woohoo:

(see the "Is exotic dancing immoral?" thread...)

Circle_One

cfer said:
That means that there'll be strip clubs on every corner!
Perhaps then, the Rapture has already happend here in Montreal, we've already got strip clubs on every corner. :D

Scorn

Circle_One said:
Perhaps then, the Rapture has already happend here in Montreal, we've already got strip clubs on every corner. :D
Nyuk nyuk!

The rapture has been predicted so many times through history that it has become a boogyman story in my mind. But then, who's to say the raptue has not already occured, and we're living the damnation party right now!:jam:

M

Majikthise

I guess one good thing would be that those of us left on Earth wouldn't have to deal with the traffic in front of churches on Sunday anymore.:D

linwood

Why should it be difficult? We would simply continue to do as we had in the past: go where the evidence leads.

Very true.

A

angellous_evangellous

I am a downright sick of hearing about the rapture. :banghead3 I wish that every atheist and Christian could kick Tim Lahey in the pants and burn Cloud Ten Productions (they produce a rapture movie about once a year) down to the ground for the wreckless stupidity that they promote.

Have no fear of planes crashing and disappearing. The word rapture does not appear in the NT - the translation is a strech of one word and the context is more than ambiguous. The application is completely absurd, but atheists don't believe the Bible anyway. :bonk:

If the NT is true, the end will be quick for unbelievers. Jesus will come in glory, judge the world, and give cool stuff to believers and judgement to unbelievers. The NT teaches will not be a pleasent experience.

O well, some of us will continue to embarrass Xnty with this fairytale.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Circle_One said:
If this is a condition for the 'Rapture'...then Hot'Lanta GA might be next in line.;)

We've all seen bumper stickers 'In case of RAPTURE, this car will be unattended'. I saw one yesterday, 'In case of RAPTURE....can I have your car? Wackiness.;)

Fat Old Sun

You can't spit in Tampa without hitting a strip club or a toy store (not Toy's R Us)

As Revelations is built upon several metaphors for the Roman Empire, I don't believe that it is coming. If it did, of course I would believe the existance of God. That does not mean that I would follow. If it was indeed the God of the Christian faith professed in the Bible, then I would have serious issues with him.

anders

Not that I really understand that Rapture thing, I think that
Fat Old Sun said:
As Revelations is built upon several metaphors for the Roman Empire, I don't believe that it is coming. If it did, of course I would believe the existance of God. That does not mean that I would follow. If it was indeed the God of the Christian faith professed in the Bible, then I would have serious issues with him.
sums up my view perfectly.

A

angellous_evangellous

Deut. 32.8 said:
While others continue to augment fairy-tale with 'Xnty'.
I am missing you an this one, Deut. Could you elaborate?

TheHeretic

As a purely hypothetical situation:

Id try to make a pact with the devil, to at least become a whipper instead of a whippee. :jam:

Faust

What if I had ever been given any other shred of evidence.

I think thats the point.
Faust.

jimbob

The Celt
Scorn said:
Nyuk nyuk!

The rapture has been predicted so many times through history that it has become a boogyman story in my mind. But then, who's to say the raptue has not already occured, and we're living the damnation party right now!:jam:
You may be right, this morning, my shower wouldn't work, i think thats a sure sign were all burning in hell!!!!:D :biglaugh: