• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Rapture, athiests and agnostics

Booko

Deviled Hen
kai said:
what is this rapture thing? is a protestant idea? or a blondie track from the 80s?
The Mighty Wiki strikes again!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapture

Yes, the idea is a Protestant one, started mainly by Rev. Darby (of the UK, no less).

It seemed to pretty much die off until it was revived by a book published in the 70s "The Late Great Planet Earth." Then popularity leveled off until one of the authors of that book, Hal Lindsey, got involved in the "Left Behind" series of books (and now films).

I don't get the idea that Rapture is a commonly held idea in most of Protestant denominations. The interest seems to be strongest in evangelical and very conservative denominations. Oh yes, and it seems to be pretty much limited to the English-speaking world...and then there's the rest of Christendom, but who pays attention to them anyway? :sarcastic

If you PM Angelous about the subject, I'm sure he'll be happy to give you a scathing review of the entire idea. :cover:

I hope this helps. :chicken:

Booko

Deviled Hen
angellous_evangellous said:
But the rapture has nothing to do with Christianity - if something odd does happen similar to the so-called rapture, it is not the rapture of American Protestantism, but something else. It would be well worth your time and energy to get to the bottom of whatever happens scientifically ---

Having already acquainted myself with the Biblical basis for the ideas of Rev. Darby and his successors, way back in the 70s when "Late Great Planet Earth" was published and an aunt and uncle of mine were "oooh wow" over the whole thing, let's just say I can't even answer the question in the OP, as I just can't take it seriously to even answer. Well, I could say more, but this is the Secular Beliefs forum and I've probably butted in enough as it is. :cover:

gnostic

The Lost One
angellous_evangellous said:
Thou shalt not ignore the mighty wiki!!

I was talking about Rapture. So who is this wiki? :confused:

I thought Rapture was something like drug called ecstasy. :monkey:

: hamster :

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
A friend of mine truly believes that she will be raptured, and that kinda frightens me. Not that I'd be left behind, I wouldn't want to miss the parties ;)

What I don't understand is why God would schedule a rapture in the first place. It's to call all of the righteous to heaven, yes; but seriously, who here is going to be avoiding death? Assuming that the soul in question is a righteous one, they will be going to heaven whether or not the rapture comes before or after their physical death.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Gentoo said:
What I don't understand is why God would schedule a rapture in the first place. It's to call all of the righteous to heaven, yes; but seriously, who here is going to be avoiding death? Assuming that the soul in question is a righteous one, they will be going to heaven whether or not the rapture comes before or after their physical death.
Hmm.... well if you believe that Christ is physically going to come again and separate the sheep from the goats, it is logical to wonder what happens to the sheep who are still alive when that happens. Hence the Rapture. So it may not be a matter of wanting to avoid death so much as believing that Christ will return within one's lifetime. And some people do believe that it's happening very soon. But then there have always been people who've believed that.

purplehaze

cfer said:
For all you athiests and agnostics out there:

If the Rapture of the church were to happen, would you become an instant believer that God exists? How hard do you think it would be to change your ways, seeing as you all probably have arguments for why God doesn't exist now?

Well according to Christianity if the rapture happened, it would be to late to believe wouldn't it?

A

angellous_evangellous

cfer said:

If the Rapture of the church were to happen, would you become an instant believer that God exists? How hard do you think it would be to change your ways, seeing as you all probably have arguments for why God doesn't exist now?

If all the fundie wackos who believe in the rapture suddenly vanish, methinks that the world would be so happy that they would not care to ask.:foot:

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
What's your definition of "rapture?"

If it's a bunch of religious people disappearing all at once, my sceptical side would first kick in and attribute it to some bizarre government conspiracy. Or aliens. Super-intelligent aliens could easily orchestrate such an event.

There would, of course, be spiritual consequences to that event. Adding anything of that magnitude to my worldview is bound to change my spirituality in some way.

Free4all

It's all about the blood
Definition of rapture:
I Thess. 4:16-18 For the Lord imself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

NOBODY knows when it will come, lots of people have made guesses (trying to figure it out mathmatically) 5:2 For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.

If YOU miss the rapture: You can still make it, but it will be very difficult - "you'll have to endure until the end" Can't take the mark, Salvation will be by Faith AND Works.

Right now b4 the rapture we are still in the Grace age - Salvation is by Faith AND nothing else.

des

Oh that is a truly scary site. Not because I believe it, but because some too large (for my comfort) do. Basically the idea comes from Darby and is based on bits and pieces of various scripture such as Daniel and Revelations. IT holds that there will be a last tribulation after which Jesus will literally rule for 1000 years. The last tribulation will bring wars, floods, famines, etc. so that's too nasty for the saved right? That's why they will be whisked away, no muss, no fuss.

Well not even all fundamentalists believe this, it is considered by some of them a major sort of heresy. However, you can see that if believed by enough people why worry about global warming, wars, etc etc as Jesus is just going to whisk you away. Of course, if he does, I want your car! (just a bumper sticker I have seen). :)

Rapture ready and a sort of sister site:
http://www.raptureme.com
They have what is a sort of Dow Jones Industrial of how fast the rapture is coming so things like Walmart going away from radio charting on products (we would all need the mark of the Beast to buy and sell) slows us down and things like an earthquake, a tsunami, or even the Democrats taking over (liberalism is "bad"), speeds things up (according to the index). There are explanations and charts to make your head spin. This gives you the idea though that there are some really smart people that actually buy into this. (Of course, some really smart people probably were among those who tied bombs to their bodies and walked into public places.)

What really boggles my mind is: here are the most literal minded of the literal minded who believe that literally god breathed life into Adam and pulled out a literal rib, and they turn around take the most metaphorically written stuff in the Bible and turn this into time and exact dates and events.
I think this all wouldn't have stood much of a chance without the imaginitive if rather silly writings of The Late Great Planet Earth and the Left Behind series. I saw some of the Left Behind thing on tv. It is badly written, badly acted, badly everythign but there is something oddly gripping about it. If you half believed it I can see how you'd get drawn in. They strike the right balance of fear.

--des

lilithu said:

yuvgotmel

Guitar's Cry said:
What's your definition of "rapture?"

If it's a bunch of religious people disappearing all at once, my sceptical side would first kick in and attribute it to some bizarre government conspiracy. Or aliens. Super-intelligent aliens could easily orchestrate such an event.

ATTENTION

Aliens are coming to abduct all the good looking and sexy people. You will be safe. I am just writing this to say goodbye.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
yuvgotmel said:

ATTENTION

Aliens are coming to abduct all the good looking and sexy people. You will be safe. I am just writing this to say goodbye.

Phew. I was worried there for a second.

Littledragon

Questing Dragon
Yeah Yuvgotmel if only you could come with the rest of us. I feel kinda bad leaving you here, but an alien paradise awaits!!:D

yuvgotmel

Littledragon said:
Yeah Yuvgotmel if only you could come with the rest of us. I feel kinda bad leaving you here, but an alien paradise awaits!!:D

LOL Littledragon....What do you mean "come with the rest of us"? ...Where ya planning on goin'?

:tribal2:

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
cfer said:

That's a pretty big IF......

astarath

question that goes with this answer^^^^^^
Dr. Nosophoros said:
That is impossible to say, just as it would probably be impossible for believers to say how they would react if they found out everything they believed in was false.

If it was to happen, I would probably crap my pants first, then believe, but I would check the travel brochure of both destinations closely (and take both with more than a few grains of salt) before I chose - what would you do if you found out you were wrong the whole time?