• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

religions and hate?

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
You're ignoring the horrible India partition slaughter of Muslims by Hindus, the Myanmar mess and others.

Partition only occurred because a small but vocal group of Muslims was sick of living among non-Muslims and called on the British authorities to give them their own state. Ironically, Pakistan is the Muslim equivalent of Israel yet receives nowhere near the level of attention for its treatment of minorities that Israel does...

Tmac

Lester said: "Since with no actual proof either way, it's not a defensible stance." Actual proof? Either way? There is no proof of any god's existence to me, and I'm not sure what 'actual proof' could be offered for the non-existence of a god, or the non-existence of anything else for that matter. That no gods nor goddesses will 'show up' is the problem.

I wonder if it was this thought that compelled Descartes to try and prove that he existed.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I wonder if it was this thought that compelled Descartes to try and prove that he existed.

I do not think Descartes tried to prove he existed. He most likely proposed that it was difficult to do so one way or another. His main contribution is a Socratic skepticism of logical reasoning to question all things.

At best this statement; 'I think therefore I am,' is more a philosophical assumption of identity and existence,

"If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things." Rene Descartes

Read more at: Rene Descartes Quotes - BrainyQuote

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Partition only occurred because a small but vocal group of Muslims was sick of living among non-Muslims and called on the British authorities to give them their own state. Ironically, Pakistan is the Muslim equivalent of Israel yet receives nowhere near the level of attention for its treatment of minorities that Israel does...
To be fair, a part of it is that the expectations are way lower.

Tmac

I do not think Descartes tried to prove he existed. He most likely proposed that it was difficult to do so one way or another. His main contribution is a Socratic skepticism of logical reasoning to question all things.

"If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things." Rene Descartes

Read more at: Rene Descartes Quotes - BrainyQuote

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Good morning!

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Good morning!

By the present objective verifiable evidence the egg came first from a bird similar to the chicken, but within an evolving population of similar birds where genetic variation and drift leads to a population of a specie today known as chickens. The process of domestic genetic selection form the wild chickens of Southeast Asia continues today to improve (questionable?) the chickens for human consumption of meat and eggs.

Last edited:

A Vestigial Mote

if that is real, and if really religions are so bad like that, why do the majority of people believe in a religion if a fact is obvious why religious ignore it

You can't deny that religion is a source of division just as much, if not more, than it is a source of people coming together. The religious usually go beyond simply ignoring it... straight into denying it. But it is a fact - religion causes no small amount of division between human beings.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
You can't deny that religion is a source of division just as much, if not more, than it is a source of people coming together. The religious usually go beyond simply ignoring it... straight into denying it. But it is a fact - religion causes no small amount of division between human beings.

Do you believe division is a bad thing?

A Vestigial Mote

Do you believe division is a bad thing?
It can have its benefits to we humans, sure. But I would assert that there is far more detriment than benefit that has been brought to bear by its employment, surely. And I don't think it would be very easy for someone to ascribe benefits to the brands of division caused by religious belief specifically.

Perhaps I am wrong? Why not give it a try?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
It's MUCH more complex than that and not the simplistic "Muslims are the bad guys and Hindus are the good guys" Partition of India - Wikipedia

corynski

Reality First!
Premium Member
hi all

lots of atheists say that religions are the main source of hate in that world, and many of religious people claim the same of other religions they don't believe in

if that is real, and if really religions are so bad like that, why do the majority of people believe in a religion if a fact is obvious why religious ignore it

To the second question I would suggest that all cultures indoctrinate their children with their current beliefs. And what information they teach is arbitrary, it can be truth or it can be made up, stories, fictions...... myth. If survival is tenuous, most humans I think would resort to force to save themselves and their people. A spirit of hatred would be instilled in everyone and they would teach that another group of people isn't acceptable. To the first question I would suggest that human life on earth has been an unimaginable struggle, year after year, stretching into hundreds and thousands of years. It is the story of hunting and gathering societies, small in number, often in a struggle for territory and resources, frequently encountering and confronting other groups of people. And we know that to attack, and harm other people, is facilitated by instilling hatred towards them.

islam abduallah

If you were to apply logic to your first sentence then the deduction would then be its not religion or no religion that is the problem but the people as they are consistent. But let me ask you this, where are you going with this question?

when a violence took a place in the world, i see media and much people around me and in the web begin to point and accuse the religion of the violent, like what's happening in Burma, Muslims point to Buddhism although Buddhism has nothing to do with it, same as Islam and Christianity in the past

islam abduallah

Doesn't the problem lie in the fact that humans create gods? .... That gods don't create humans? Each culture invents its own unique belief system that it teaches to its members as fact and reality. I was indoctrinated into Christian beliefs from birth, before I could think or reason, simply because I was a group member, and I accepted it as reality until I learned that it wasn't true. For example, the Bible presents Christianity as being the only true religion, and the Christian God is claimed to be the only true god. But so does Islam, they say their holy book is the true one, and that their god is the only true god...... And when a culture, a nation, conquers another nation, it raises its God on high, proclaiming this true God has permitted them to win. But science and reason are superior to myth and superstition in determining reality..... And it becomes a matter of accepting that as fact and reality.

you reminded me by my first post in the forum six years ago

lots of good comments were posted at this time, you may enjoy it

the right religion