• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

religions and hate?

islam abduallah

hi all

lots of atheists say that religions are the main source of hate in that world, and many of religious people claim the same of other religions they don't believe in

if that is real, and if really religions are so bad like that, why do the majority of people believe in a religion if a fact is obvious why religious ignore it

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I would not characterize religions as "the main source of hate in the world". They (or at least some of them) certainly contribute their share of hatred to the world's vital supply of that resource, but to call them the "main source" seems quite a stretch.

Having said that, I do think that almost all religious people sugar-coat their religions. But I don't see sugar-coating as unique to religious people. Almost all of us humans sugar-coat our preferred ideologies, beliefs, views, etc, whether we're religious or not. To see both the upside and the downside of something one believes in would most likely create an undesirable measure of cognitive dissonance.

HonestJoe

To be clear, I don’t buy in to the premise that “religions are the main source of hate in that world”. I don’t buy the premise that a lot of atheists claim they are for that matter.

Religion (like pretty much everything) isn’t flawless though but religious people will suffer the same failings of all of us and assume/believe/hope that their religion is better than others and how they practice it avoids the worst aspects. There are all sorts of things where we’ll wilfully or subconsciously blind ourselves to the risks and negatives of things we’re involved in because facing up to the messy realities can be difficult, embarrassing and scary.

I think there’s also a distinction to be made between objecting to religions as powerful monolithic organisations and the religious laity as just normal people getting on with their lives (by objectors and defenders). A lot of what leads some people to identify religion as a source of bad things is really based on organisations or powerful individuals doing bad things in the name of that religion.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
hi all

lots of atheists say that religions are the main source of hate in that world, and many of religious people claim the same of other religions they don't believe in

if that is real, and if really religions are so bad like that, why do the majority of people believe in a religion if a fact is obvious why religious ignore it

Many people blindly follow and imitate their ancestors, rather than independantly question the nature of reality.

Religion can be a source of great light to the world, enabling love and fellowship between peoples of good will. It can be force that positively and powerfully shapes civilisations. It can also become corrupted and therefore a vehicle of darkness and hate. That which has the greatest power to heal, also has the power to do great harm if its leaders are not pure hearted and of good character.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
hi all

No, not religions, at least not in the general sense.

However, monotheism, when it values proselitism, has a very difficult time avoiding the danger of fueling up a "us vs them" mentality. The Qur'an, particularly, spends a huge percentage of its text encouraging just such a mentality.

Again, not religions proper. Some minor cults, large sects of Christianity, and Islaam (which I do not consider a religion).

As for why, it is a well-documented fact of social psychology. People feel reassured in establishing tribal mentalities that insist on clear lines of separation between those of the inside, that must be supported, and those of the outside that must be kept under suspicion and are readily available to receive blame for everything that goes wrong.

That is poor religion, if it is religion at all. But it is also a core part of the popularity and difusion of Christianity and Islaam.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
hi all

Because people never see themselves as the "bad guy".

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
No, not religions, at least not in the general sense.

However, monotheism, when it values proselitism, has a very difficult time avoiding the danger of fueling up a "us vs them" mentality. The Qur'an, particularly, spends a huge percentage of its text encouraging just such a mentality.

Again, not religions proper. Some minor cults, large sects of Christianity, and Islaam (which I do not consider a religion).

As for why, it is a well-documented fact of social psychology. People feel reassured in establishing tribal mentalities that insist on clear lines of separation between those of the inside, that must be supported, and those of the outside that must be kept under suspicion and are readily available to receive blame for everything that goes wrong.

That is poor religion, if it is religion at all. But it is also a core part of the popularity and difusion of Christianity and Islaam.

It seems you post is responding by expressing hate for certain religions, how is that any different from what you're accusing them of.

gottalovemoses

Im mad as Hell!
lots of atheists say that religions are the main source of hate in that world
do they? how simplistic. the main source of hatred in the world comes from Satan. And Satan can enter anyone. Religious or not. Satan is all about pride and he'll convince you that real happiness can be achieved through your own efforts. Satan is also all about fear.

Tmac

hi all

If you were to apply logic to your first sentence then the deduction would then be its not religion or no religion that is the problem but the people as they are consistent. But let me ask you this, where are you going with this question?

Tmac

do they? how simplistic. the main source of hatred in the world comes from Satan. And Satan can enter anyone. Religious or not. Satan is all about pride and he'll convince you that real happiness can be achieved through your own efforts. Satan is also all about fear.

That sounds rather simplistic as well, the boogie man! I think this thought was created by someone who didn't want to take responsibility for their actions/behavior.

Tmac

Many people blindly follow and imitate their ancestors, rather than independantly question the nature of reality.

Religion can be a source of great light to the world, enabling love and fellowship between peoples of good will. It can be force that positively and powerfully shapes civilisations. It can also become corrupted and therefore a vehicle of darkness and hate. That which has the greatest power to heal, also has the power to do great harm if its leaders are not pure hearted and of good character.

I followed everything you said till you got to the part where you say religions can become corrupt. Its the people, not the religion who do things in the name of their religion, like the gun, it just sits there waiting to be picked up, full of potential.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
hi all

I wouldn't say all religions,I think the abrahmic religions are a perfect catalyst for hate though.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I followed everything you said till you got to the part where you say religions can become corrupt. Its the people, not the religion who do things in the name of their religion, like the gun, it just sits there waiting to be picked up, full of potential.

Religion is a social institution. If the leaders are corrupt, the institutional organisation becomes corrupt. It can be like the contamination of pure water.

Of course, I make the assumption that religion in its highest form is from an unknowable spiritual essence many would refer to as God.

Tmac

To be clear, I don’t buy in to the premise that “religions are the main source of hate in that world”. I don’t buy the premise that a lot of atheists claim they are for that matter.

Religion (like pretty much everything) isn’t flawless though but religious people will suffer the same failings of all of us and assume/believe/hope that their religion is better than others and how they practice it avoids the worst aspects. There are all sorts of things where we’ll wilfully or subconsciously blind ourselves to the risks and negatives of things we’re involved in because facing up to the messy realities can be difficult, embarrassing and scary.

I think there’s also a distinction to be made between objecting to religions as powerful monolithic organisations and the religious laity as just normal people getting on with their lives (by objectors and defenders). A lot of what leads some people to identify religion as a source of bad things is really based on organisations or powerful individuals doing bad things in the name of that religion.

There is something wrong with believing your religion is better than others, isn't the point of religion to bring one closer to God or God like, paying attention to other religions has to be distracting.

corynski

Reality First!
Premium Member
Doesn't the problem lie in the fact that humans create gods? .... That gods don't create humans? Each culture invents its own unique belief system that it teaches to its members as fact and reality. I was indoctrinated into Christian beliefs from birth, before I could think or reason, simply because I was a group member, and I accepted it as reality until I learned that it wasn't true. For example, the Bible presents Christianity as being the only true religion, and the Christian God is claimed to be the only true god. But so does Islam, they say their holy book is the true one, and that their god is the only true god...... And when a culture, a nation, conquers another nation, it raises its God on high, proclaiming this true God has permitted them to win. But science and reason are superior to myth and superstition in determining reality..... And it becomes a matter of accepting that as fact and reality.

Tmac

Religion is a social institution. If the leaders are corrupt, the institutional organisation becomes corrupt. It can be like the contamination of pure water.

Of course, I make the assumption that religion in its highest form is from an unknowable spiritual essence many would refer to as God.

One could also say the water remains pure but now their are impurities within it. In any case, don't drink it.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
One could also say the water remains pure but now their are impurities within it. In any case, don't drink it.

One man experiences the water as life giving waters, and another as an intoxicating opiate.

The religious adherent believes he has God, the cynic sees foolishness and delusion.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Doesn't the problem lie in the fact that humans create gods? .... That gods don't create humans? Each culture invents its own unique belief system that it teaches to its members as fact and reality. I was indoctrinated into Christian beliefs from birth, before I could think or reason, simply because I was a group member, and I accepted it as reality until I learned that it wasn't true. For example, the Bible presents Christianity as being the only true religion, and the Christian God is claimed to be the only true god. But so does Islam, they say their holy book is the true one, and that their god is the only true god...... And when a culture, a nation, conquers another nation, it raises its God on high, proclaiming this true God has permitted them to win. But science and reason are superior to myth and superstition in determining reality..... And it becomes a matter of accepting that as fact and reality.

Better no religion, than one that causes prejudice and hate for certain. Science and reason are superior to superstution no doubt.

However many have found that religion can contribute to peace and love. Many religious adherents are outstanding scientists and find harmony between faith and reason.

Riders

I don't believe all religions are hateful.Theres also a difference between spirituality and religion.

I do think sometimes religions who claim to be better then other religions or the only ones to go to heaven etc,can cultivate hate easily.

If I'm excluding you its easier to hate you.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Hi

Religions are not the main source of hate in the world and are in and of themselves are not bad. Quite the opposite. Most happen to be quite benevolent.

The hate comes from people and their lack of tolerance for the beliefs of others. This is especially true of those who view their faith as the One True Religion™.

There are religions that teach tolerance and the view that other religions, just because they don't have the same deity or dogma, are not invalid. IMO, that is a key tenet that is missing from some major religions. Perhaps if more religions taught this, there would be less hate.