• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

religions and hate?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Most religions teach love for one another. Contrary to popular belief, hate is not the opposite of love, it is actually the most negative aspect/expression of it. For in order to "hate", a person needs to allow the object of that hatted into their heart. That being said, I think, in all honesty, that the single biggest contributor of hate, is ignorance.
Great point. Indifference is the opposite of deep emotion.

corynski

Reality First!
Premium Member
While I do agree with the underlying sentiment of interacting with our world based on tangible evidence, I would not go so far as to state unequivocally that there is no God (or higher power, etc.) Since with no actual proof either way, it's not a defensible stance. I don't accept that any religion is the one "true" faith, as if this were the case, then all others would be wrong.
If there is an all powerful being who "created" everything including humans, what sense would it make for that being to play favorites? Also, just how arrogant does someone have to be to think they can speak for this being?

Lester said: "Since with no actual proof either way, it's not a defensible stance." Actual proof? Either way? There is no proof of any god's existence to me, and I'm not sure what 'actual proof' could be offered for the non-existence of a god, or the non-existence of anything else for that matter. That no gods nor goddesses will 'show up' is the problem.

Lester said: "Since with no actual proof either way, it's not a defensible stance." Actual proof? Either way? There is no proof of any god's existence to me, and I'm not sure what 'actual proof' could be offered for the non-existence of a god, or the non-existence of anything else for that matter. That no gods nor goddesses will 'show up' is the problem.
That may be a blessing as well, consider if something similar to one of the fictional dieties from Lovecraft's work was to appear.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
hi all

lots of atheists say that religions are the main source of hate in that world, and many of religious people claim the same of other religions they don't believe in

if that is real, and if really religions are so bad like that, why do the majority of people believe in a religion if a fact is obvious why religious ignore it

Some people are just hateful. Either by nurture or nature. Those people will tend to cling to and hide within an ideology for cover. They usually wind up as zealouts or extremist then give that ideology a bad reputation. This is not excusing ideologies, but it is a significant part of the problem. That only followers of xxxx ideology can monitor and limit as much as possible.

Milton Platt

hi all

lots of atheists say that religions are the main source of hate in that world, and many of religious people claim the same of other religions they don't believe in

if that is real, and if really religions are so bad like that, why do the majority of people believe in a religion if a fact is obvious why religious ignore it

I have never heard religions characterized as the "main" source of hate. But they certainly have been used as a basis for a great deal of hate, prejudice, and bigotry.

When speaking of atheism as a source of hate, well, I can guess that has happened, but perhaps that more properly should be attributed to anti-theism.

I think in either case, people get into heated arguments over such things an overstate the reality.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Hatred is a part of human nature. Religious hatred is usually just another form of bigoted tribalism. So saying that religion causes hatred isn't really correct. We'd hate regardless.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
hi all

Tradition, heritage, desire for a Sense of community, pragmatism, financial and social security, peer pressure sometimes with the threat of being ostracized, and even the sentence of death among others.

They are same reason millions of people reject the science of evolution for blind faith in ancient scripture.