• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Purpose

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I think that the biggest problem most people have in their lives is believing, let alone trying to find, any purpose in life. It seems they can't live in the now (which is all any of has) without obsessing about the future. It's only when you realize that there is no "purpose" to life that you can really start living life.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
12 jul 2018 stvdv 017 32
I am almost 4 month here, and started with the thought "what is the definition of God"
When you say this, you have in mind "all have a personal definition, or is there a `one fits all` definition?"

That's a short answer. So that must mean "one fits all" definition, and then it's also personal for all the same

I have not found that 1 definition. If you know the definition, please share it.

Last edited:

dfnj

That's a short answer. So that must mean "one fits all" definition, and then it's also personal for all the same

I have not found that 1 definition. If you know the definition, please share it.

This is the second time you've made this claim in this thread. I am interesting in what will satisfy you in your search.

Dictionary:
  1. 1.
    (in Christianity and other monotheistic religions) the creator and ruler of the universe and source of all moral authority; the supreme being.
    synonyms: the Lord, the Almighty, the Creator, the Maker, the Godhead; More

2. 2.
    (in certain other religions) a superhuman being or spirit worshiped as having power over nature or human fortunes; a deity.
    "a moon god"
Maybe what you are looking for is why you have not found a definition of God you willing to accept as truth.

God is just a word. Nobody denies the existence of the word God. What the word means is defined by every sentence using the word God. But how God differs from the Flying Spaghetti Monster is this: God is also a representation of an alpha-omega idea. God is a container word representing every possible thought and experience that can possibly occur. Based on this alpha-omega idea God is omnipotent. An alpha-omega type omnipotent God is both pantheistic and Abrahamic at the same time. An alpha-omega type omnipotent God is all things to all perceptions at the same time. How each of us experiences an alpha-omega type omnipotent God is a subjective experience for each person.

Are looking for a more concrete definition of God? Are you looking for someone to define how you should think about God? Or are you looking for the proof of God's existence?

Last edited:

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
13 jul 2018 stvdv 017 34
This is the second time you've made this claim in this thread. I am interesting in what will satisfy you in your search.
Dictionary:
  1. 1.
    (in Christianity and other monotheistic religions) the creator and ruler of the universe and source of all moral authority; the supreme being.
    synonyms: the Lord, the Almighty, the Creator, the Maker, the Godhead; More

2. 2.
    (in certain other religions) a superhuman being or spirit worshiped as having power over nature or human fortunes; a deity.
    "a moon god"
Maybe what you are looking for is why you have not found a definition of Gd you willing to accept as truth.

God is just a word. Nobody denies the existence of the word God. What the word means is defined by every sentence using the word God. But how God differs from the Flying Spaghetti Monster is this: God is also a representation of an alpha-omega idea. God is a container word representing every possible thought and experience that can possibly occur. Based on this alpha-omega idea God is omnipotent. An alpha-omega type omnipotent God is both pantheistic and Abrahamic at the same time. An alpha-omega type omnipotent God is all things to all perceptions at the same time. How each of us experiences an alpha-omega type omnipotent God is a subjective experience for each person.

Are looking for a more concrete definition of God? Are you looking for someone to define how you should think about God? Or are you looking for the proof of God's existence?

Yes the first time I got "Yes" [I didn't ask specific enough]. So then I asked for the definition itself. Your answer quite satisfied my search.

1: Are looking for a more concrete definition of God?
2: Are you looking for someone to define how you should think about God?
3: Or are you looking for the proof of God's existence?

1: No. This was exactly what I was looking for. This covers quite a few persons God-ideas. Although "How Atheist think maybe not"
2: No. I wanted to know how on RF others think about God, so that I understand what they mean when talking about God. So that I can understand/answer correctly
3: No. I have my own definition, and was curious how much it differed from others. And having my own definition I was lucky to get some proof for my own at least.

*: So Abrahamic/Pantheistic gives Alpha-Omega idea "First and Last". Hinduism gives "Bigger than the biggest, smaller than the smallest".
*: Atheists "Lack of God believe". So I guess that is lack of anything from the above. Makes it kind of redundant to discuss about God stuff with Atheists I guess.
*: Myself, I believe God to be the sum of all believes humans have [None is "The Only Truth"]
*: Mono-theists restrict themselves to 1 version of God, that explains a lot of the clashing I experienced.

Especially with Atheists I was unsure. Because "Lack of God believe" can imply "I rather keep it that way" like many theists also have, or "I hope to find `my God` idea".

But I think, thanks to your reply, and some thinking about it, I now have a good picture. A wide variety of "believes" so most of the time clashing with the other because of this. Which makes it understandable why in debate not much specifics as to God related questions comes out. We talk about belief, not truth/proven, so all this is understandable [except God of course;)].

It's like science having formulas with some "yet to define" variables and constants. Does not really work.
So I do understand the saying "2 religions in 1 bed there sleeps the devil in between" (Dutch proverb).
1) When the two religions clash then "devil laughs" (meaning of the proverb).
2) When the two religions kind of merge, then "devil sleeps" (that is my own interpretation)

Personally I don't believe in the devil. But sometimes for understanding it can be useful. I do believe in devilish habits we still have to tranform.

Last edited:

Deidre

Maybe our purposes are fluid, and always changing. Therefore, there's no grand ''declaration'' as to one's only purpose. Or sole purpose.

Plus, I believe God seeks us, but that's just my opinion. :relaxed:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
It occurred to me that one reason to seek out god is to find purpose. A reason for my existence or our existence or the existence of life in general. I personally find it difficult to give a crap about anything without knowing why I should. Life seems engineered specifically to try and make me give up at times. As if the universe is designed to repeatedly remind me how pointless it all is.

So I wonder, if I am the creation of a super-being and that being had some reason for making me, why would that being not make it more obvious? Why do I feel the need to find this being and ask it? Shouldn't I know? Or is it that I'll fulfill my purpose whether I know what it is or not? And if that's the case, why do I seek to know?

My tentative plan is to simply enjoy this silly ball of dirt as much as I can until something changes. But I can't help longing for something more. It doesn't have to be divine, of course. Just something more than exaggerated survival of the species, if that makes sense.

What do you all think about the idea of purpose? Do you seek it? Have you found it? Does it matter?

The more I think about it, the more I realize there is no purpose (in my opinion). I realize, at least for myself, there is no end goal; no end of the journey; and no mountain top. I live in a world that is defined by whys. Can I help you with that; why. Can you give me a ride; why. Why do you want this job. Why do you like this girl.

Society (at least American) sets up whys as if we have control once we find the purpose behind it. I feel its more of a social construct and not a spiritual one.

Think of a society where we cultivate who we are within our environment and the why exists because of the relationship we have within life rather than a foundation or origin of it.

I learned this through art. I just came from an open-mic and realize purpose/mission is not near the point as purpose/vision. At least with a vision, you Be who you are and you are cultivating yourself at present. A mission is based on hope and faith.

Anyway, I did seek it (purpose/mission) but I dont run that far without loosing breath, Now Im a purpose/vision person. This came to me full force when taking time to do-art. I no longer need to get to the mountain top to complete anything. Im living art right now. (Seriously. Just came from an open-mic an hour ago and will go weekly)

I havent found it as in I completed a goal. Its been there since I was a kid. Raised into an art family. Never dropped it. Its more a revelation. Some people see it in god. Some in their hobbies. Some in family. Some in success in work.

I dont like motivational cliches, so Id say write your personal values, beliefs, life goals, and how you see yourself in the next ten or twenty years. See if you find a pattern, something you go back to when you reevaluate your life etc. Maybe your purpose is there just putting it together means to take bits and pieces of your morals, values, beliefs, etc and seeing it all at one time on paper and it may yell at you.

As for motivation and umf, I think its trust in the process. If its something you instinctly get giddy over, maybe thats something to look into. Of course its not easy. The biggest thing I found among other things is memory. Keeping it fresh in my mind in all decisions I make.

Im a thinker. Doer is much harder for me unless I can write it or do a visual art of some type.

Last edited:

dfnj

It occurred to me that one reason to seek out god is to find purpose.
What do you all think about the idea of purpose? Do you seek it? Have you found it? Does it matter?

Our purpose is to find God by coming up with an acceptable definition for what God is in the Universe.

Ponder This

It occurred to me that one reason to seek out god is to find purpose. A reason for my existence or our existence or the existence of life in general. I personally find it difficult to give a crap about anything without knowing why I should. Life seems engineered specifically to try and make me give up at times. As if the universe is designed to repeatedly remind me how pointless it all is.

So I wonder, if I am the creation of a super-being and that being had some reason for making me, why would that being not make it more obvious? Why do I feel the need to find this being and ask it? Shouldn't I know? Or is it that I'll fulfill my purpose whether I know what it is or not? And if that's the case, why do I seek to know?

My tentative plan is to simply enjoy this silly ball of dirt as much as I can until something changes. But I can't help longing for something more. It doesn't have to be divine, of course. Just something more than exaggerated survival of the species, if that makes sense.

It sounds like you are experiencing Sankhara-Dukkha, which is the unsatisfactoriness of life, the apparent meaninglessness of life. The apparent purposelessness of life is also described in Ecclesiates in the Old Testament, nothing that anybody is trying to achieve in this world matters. Many philosophers experience this when they start to ask deep questions.
Apparent Question: What is the purpose of life?
Apparent Answer: There is no purpose.

For some people, God provides a distraction from a deep despair that overwhelms lesser beings. On the other hand, why do we expect impermanent material things to provide lasting satisfaction? Wouldn't that be a contradiction in terms?

I do not know that purpose is something we need to seek so much as we crave or desire. What if we could sit in contemplation of this purposeless and not succumb to despair? What would that mean? Perhaps a person could awaken from this dream, the play of Skandha-Mara.

mono no aware

atanu

Premium Member

I think the purpose is to find oneself. And I think that the love that we seek here and there is a distracted form of that.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
It sounds like you are experiencing Sankhara-Dukkha, which is the unsatisfactoriness of life, the apparent meaninglessness of life. The apparent purposelessness of life is also described in Ecclesiates in the Old Testament, nothing that anybody is trying to achieve in this world matters. Many philosophers experience this when they start to ask deep questions.
Apparent Question: What is the purpose of life?
Apparent Answer: There is no purpose.

For some people, God provides a distraction from a deep despair that overwhelms lesser beings. On the other hand, why do we expect impermanent material things to provide lasting satisfaction? Wouldn't that be a contradiction in terms?

I do not know that purpose is something we need to seek so much as we crave or desire. What if we could sit in contemplation of this purposeless and not succumb to despair? What would that mean? Perhaps a person could awaken from this dream, the play of Skandha-Mara.

mono no aware

Once I became aware that there is no intrinsic purpose to life (nor rhyme or reason) I became a much calmer, peaceful, and happier person. Now I just live.

dianaiad

I think...being a theist and all, that we do have a purpose and it's a big one.

However, should I be wrong about that, then....

We are thinking beings and if we are able to ask about 'purpose,'
and we don't find one, then it's up to us to make one. there's no reason that we should wait for the universe to supply one to us. We are, at least to some degree, grown ups. We can either figure it out, or go invent one.

I will say this: find one or invent one, it's a good thing to HAVE one. To not have a purpose is to court depression and despair. Life is too full of pain to deal with if we don't have one, whether that purpose is species wide...or strictly personal.

Bird123

How about this:

Purpose is easy. Everyone has but one purpose. Further, everyone will accomplish this purpose in some form or other. Life's purpose is to simply Learn and Grow.

Within the parameters of our lives, we have total freedom, total creative input on what we want to do. Maybe you are like many. You have a blank canvas and just do not know what to paint. Perhaps you worry about failure or what others might think. Does being you really depend on what others think? Further, more is learned through failure than with almost anything else.

Be Brave!! Share that which is Special about you with the world. You might just be surprised the sense of accomplishment you will receive when you do.

Don't worry about God. Reach down into your soul and paint your Masterpiece. When you do, God can't help but be Smiling.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Everybody has a responsibility to themselves and the world they live in. People that take that as a passion will succeed at something.

Other then that purpose is very very individual. It all stems from what one holds and desires to be real.

If this is the only life anybody has ever got then you will probably desire to experience everything life can offer, satisfy your curiousity, and perhaps fall in love if the opportunity arises. True love happens then you will try and build forever without end.

Ultimately love makes life worth living. Creating love and seeing it shine. But that certainly dont stand to be everybodys purpose. I dont care to mention evil purposes.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Everybody has a responsibility to themselves and the world they live in. People that take that as a passion will succeed at something.

Other then that purpose is very very individual. It all stems from what one holds and desires to be real.

If this is the only life anybody has ever got then you will probably desire to experience everything life can offer, satisfy your curiousity, and perhaps fall in love if the opportunity arises. True love happens then you will try and build forever without end.

Ultimately love makes life worth living. Creating love and seeing it shine. But that certainly dont stand to be everybodys purpose. I dont care to mention evil purposes.

Says who?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Purpose is a big spiral that starts from a tiny center. If we choose to appreciate our existence then we do see purpose. If we do not then there is no visible purpose and no 'Purpose' has any purpose to us. Suppose I tell you what our purpose is: you can then ask me what is the purpose of that thing I say, and again if I answer you can continue to not accept any answer just by asking "and what is the purpose of that?" It is a choice I think, but I think it is real and just cannot be seen from all points of view. Similarly you can never fully prove any logical system to be consistent, but that doesn't prove its inconsistent.

PureX

Veteran Member

You have been programmed to TRY and understand the nature and purpose of existence. You were not programmed to ACTUALLY understand these things. The universe (God; whatever) is experiencing itself through us. If you want to be angry and resentful about that, you can be. If you want to be amazed and grateful about it, you can be. That's up to you. I don't think God-the universe-existence-whatever, cares which you choose.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Good questions!

"Why do I feel the need to find this being and ask it?"

Did you know, the Bible says things like "God put eternity in the hearts of people, so that they would feel the need to find God, to ask"? Further, some people suppress the urge when they do the other thing you mentioned, "give up when the universe presses down on them".

Re: purpose, let's start with basics, theists v. atheists:

Atheist: No purpose, really. 1,000 years from now I will be dirt, forgotten, and all good and evil are societal constructs to make the here and now more pleasure, less pain. Pain and pleasure, however, are technically meaningless, as are love, justice, empathy, etc., etc.

Theist: Creation and created beings glorify their Creator. God will judge each person for good and evil, which reflect our innate awareness that though we act against conscience (sin), we should not.

Finally, we have Christians: Our purpose is to trust Jesus Christ for salvation, to come into right relationship with God, for illuminated knowledge and purpose. Through evangelism, we can even help someone achieve eternal, abundant life!

I think you are advertising belief. Not necessarily the object of belief.

Sometimes I wonder whether theists are more concerned with belief, rather than what people believe. That would explain the stigma that some have against atheists, as opposed to a more mild disapproval against people who believe in a completely different God. Which is sort of weird. And self defeating.

Sounds like: I don’t care if you believe in Jesus or if you believe that the universe has been created by Mother Goose with a purpose for all humans. But please believe, for Ms. Goose sake!

Ciao

- viole