• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Purpose

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
It occurred to me that one reason to seek out god is to find purpose. A reason for my existence or our existence or the existence of life in general. I personally find it difficult to give a crap about anything without knowing why I should. Life seems engineered specifically to try and make me give up at times. As if the universe is designed to repeatedly remind me how pointless it all is.

So I wonder, if I am the creation of a super-being and that being had some reason for making me, why would that being not make it more obvious? Why do I feel the need to find this being and ask it? Shouldn't I know? Or is it that I'll fulfill my purpose whether I know what it is or not? And if that's the case, why do I seek to know?

My tentative plan is to simply enjoy this silly ball of dirt as much as I can until something changes. But I can't help longing for something more. It doesn't have to be divine, of course. Just something more than exaggerated survival of the species, if that makes sense.

What do you all think about the idea of purpose? Do you seek it? Have you found it? Does it matter?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I agree with the OP that humans seek purpose. As for myself, I find purpose in various things. People can argue, "Well, without god, your purposes are transitory and in the end meaningless." But that doesn't change the fact they satisfy me.

I think seeing passing on our genes as a purpose for life ignores the fact that just because that's the way nature is, is no reason we must limit our own purpose in life to passing on our genes.

danieldemol

Premium Member
It occurred to me that one reason to seek out god is to find purpose. A reason for my existence or our existence or the existence of life in general. I personally find it difficult to give a crap about anything without knowing why I should. Life seems engineered specifically to try and make me give up at times. As if the universe is designed to repeatedly remind me how pointless it all is.

So I wonder, if I am the creation of a super-being and that being had some reason for making me, why would that being not make it more obvious? Why do I feel the need to find this being and ask it? Shouldn't I know? Or is it that I'll fulfill my purpose whether I know what it is or not? And if that's the case, why do I seek to know?

My tentative plan is to simply enjoy this silly ball of dirt as much as I can until something changes. But I can't help longing for something more. It doesn't have to be divine, of course. Just something more than exaggerated survival of the species, if that makes sense.

What do you all think about the idea of purpose? Do you seek it? Have you found it? Does it matter?
To me the purpose of life is to serve God via service to humanity.
Having purpose is important to me and that’s good enough I reckon.
Don’t matter to me if purpose doesn’t matter to anyone else

Earthling

David Henson
It occurred to me that one reason to seek out god is to find purpose. A reason for my existence or our existence or the existence of life in general.

I suppose so, but I personally was never especially geared in that direction.

I personally find it difficult to give a crap about anything without knowing why I should. Life seems engineered specifically to try and make me give up at times. As if the universe is designed to repeatedly remind me how pointless it all is.

Oh, man, can I relate to that. Not the pointless part, though. Quite the contrary. More like as if the universe is designed to repeatedly remind me of how the point is to make me give up. That is, admittedly, a foolish thing for someone with my beliefs to dwell on, and I always dismiss it immediately as nonsense, but it keeps coming at me nevertheless.

So I wonder, if I am the creation of a super-being and that being had some reason for making me, why would that being not make it more obvious?

Maybe it couldn't be more obvious. Look around you at creation. Everything is geared towards your pleasure, though we often don't see that because of things that have gotten confused due to the fall of man into sin. For example, the mosquito. Government. Sickness and death. The Kardashians.

Why do I feel the need to find this being and ask it? Shouldn't I know? Or is it that I'll fulfill my purpose whether I know what it is or not? And if that's the case, why do I seek to know?

People tend to feel a universal emptiness. They feel like there's something missing. Maybe it's spirituality or a connection with their creator. Maybe it's indigestion or their imagination. I'm being serious there. Maybe it's part of your self, and the curiosity indicates you should know and can get to know by looking. Maybe it was put there for that reason or maybe it's part of something actually missing.

Makes sense to me. If it's any consolation the Bible says the purpose of mankind is to fill and subdue this ball of dirt, and that he created mankind simply to enjoy themselves.

Maybe I do see it. In a general sense I don't seek it, but I think there are variations of purpose beside the general purpose. Have I found it? I think I'm aware of what our creator intended for our purpose to be and that makes sense to me. Does it matter? Not to the point that we have to get hung up on it, since we have a natural proclivity towards it, having been created thus. Certainly not to the point where we reach out in the dark grasping desperately for anything to fill a vacuum we ourselves created out of confusion.

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
I think the only purpose on this earth is Darwinian, i.e. to pass on our genes to the next generation.
Enjoy life, but there is no purpose to it apart from the above.

I have a hard time with that. I don't have any kids and I never will if I have my way. I can't imagine willingly subjecting anyone to this life, especially if their official guide happens to be me.

On a more selfish note, I've noticed people with children don't enjoy life the way I do, and rightly so. To me, having kids is like ruining my life for the chance to ruin some unsuspecting child's perfectly cosey non-existence.

In any case, biological imperative doesn't drive me at all. That just leaves hedonistic self-indulgence. It's nice but you know, something more would be nice, too.

Jedster

It seems to me that we are born with a natural curiosity 'to know more'.
This does not necessitate a god-concept.
As you say It doesn't have to be divine.

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
I suppose so, but I personally was never especially geared in that direction.

Oh, man, can I relate to that. Not the pointless part, though. Quite the contrary. More like as if the universe is designed to repeatedly remind me of how the point is to make me give up. That is, admittedly, a foolish thing for someone with my beliefs to dwell on, and I always dismiss it immediately as nonsense, but it keeps coming at me nevertheless.

Maybe it couldn't be more obvious. Look around you at creation. Everything is geared towards your pleasure, though we often don't see that because of things that have gotten confused due to the fall of man into sin. For example, the mosquito. Government. Sickness and death. The Kardashians.

People tend to feel a universal emptiness. They feel like there's something missing. Maybe it's spirituality or a connection with their creator. Maybe it's indigestion or their imagination. I'm being serious there. Maybe it's part of your self, and the curiosity indicates you should know and can get to know by looking. Maybe it was put there for that reason or maybe it's part of something actually missing.

Makes sense to me. If it's any consolation the Bible says the purpose of mankind is to fill and subdue this ball of dirt, and that he created mankind simply to enjoy themselves.

Maybe I do see it. In a general sense I don't seek it, but I think there are variations of purpose beside the general purpose. Have I found it? I think I'm aware of what our creator intended for our purpose to be and that makes sense to me. Does it matter? Not to the point that we have to get hung up on it, since we have a natural proclivity towards it, having been created thus. Certainly not to the point where we reach out in the dark grasping desperately for anything to fill a vacuum we ourselves created out of confusion.

I'm certainly not a desperate grabber! I've probably got a few good decades left in me if it takes that long, then that's how long I'll spend looking.

Dominion of the Earth sounds a lot like the Darwinian answer, honestly. I don't mean to say it's wrong I just have a hard time settling for it.

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
It seems to me that we are born with a natural curiosity 'to know more'.
This does not necessitate a god-concept.
As you say It doesn't have to be divine.

True enough. It doesn't rule it out either, though.

It would be much simpler if there were some kind of being that could lift the curtain. Not that I expect that to happen even if there is a god. Hell, even if there is a god that doesn't mean there is a purpose!

EDIT: to add comedy!

"Oh glorious creator I have finally found you!"
"Yes, puny being! Quite resourceful for a hominid. Now what can I help you with?"
"I just want to know why we exist, great creator! What is my purpose?"
"Your what? Purpose? Oh crap... Where you from again? Earth? Man, come on I was just bored with my meaningless existence..."

Last edited:

Earthling

David Henson
I'm certainly not a desperate grabber! I've probably got a few good decades left in me if it takes that long, then that's how long I'll spend looking.

Dominion of the Earth sounds a lot like the Darwinian answer, honestly. I don't mean to say it's wrong I just have a hard time settling for it.

I don't think dominion is an accurate description. Dominion implies sovereignty, and that belongs to Jehovah. Subdue and fill implies the taming of a harsh terrain and procreation. You mentioned having children in another post. That's half of it right there. The other half is landscaping, agriculture, resources.

Altfish

Veteran Member
I have a hard time with that. I don't have any kids and I never will if I have my way. I can't imagine willingly subjecting anyone to this life, especially if their official guide happens to be me.

On a more selfish note, I've noticed people with children don't enjoy life the way I do, and rightly so. To me, having kids is like ruining my life for the chance to ruin some unsuspecting child's perfectly cosey non-existence.

In any case, biological imperative doesn't drive me at all. That just leaves hedonistic self-indulgence. It's nice but you know, something more would be nice, too.
Whilst I can in some ways relate to your sentiments; if the whole of the human race took that attitude we'd be instinct.
I can say that little gives me as much pleasure as my grandchildren.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
One of my favorite movie quotes discusses purpose:

"We are not here because we're free; we're here because we are not free. There's no escaping reason, no denying purpose, because as we both know, without purpose, we would not exist. It is purpose that created us, purpose that connects us, purpose that pulls us, that guides us, that drives us, it is purpose that defines, purpose that binds us."

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/The_Matrix_Reloaded#Dialogue

I particularly like the freedom aspect of the quote. To me it would suggest that seeking mundane purpose is what keeps us locked into samsara. Some get a glimpse of what lies beyond mundane purpose, shifting reasoning and behaviors, and ultimately bringing about a different perception of purpose.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
12 jul 2018 stvdv 017 19
I think it's really important how we define who is god.

I am almost 4 month here, and started with the thought "what is the definition of God"
When you say this, you have in mind "all have a personal definition, or is there a `one fits all` definition?"

Last edited:

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
12 jul 2018 stvdv 017 20

My purpose is "Be Happy".
Not happy at others' cost !
Then "others will be happy"
Meaning "All will be happy"
God should be happy then

Last edited:

A Vestigial Mote

I think the only purpose on this earth is Darwinian, i.e. to pass on our genes to the next generation.
I have a hard time with that.
@Altfish was simply stating a fact, in my opinion - not giving anyone advice on what they should discern their personal "purpose" to be. In life as it is presented to us - as we can see in animal species all over the Earth - it's kind of hard to avoid coming to the conclusion that the next generation of a species is of ultimate importance to what that species is as a whole. But with human intellect being what it is - we're free to come to our own conclusions regarding any aspect of "purpose" - even to reject the "procreation" bit altogether.

On a more selfish note, I've noticed people with children don't enjoy life the way I do, and rightly so.
It seems you mistakenly assume your enjoyment of life without children is "better" than the enjoyment people with kids may find. I'd challenge that notion. My kids are some of the finest people I know - and my being the one able to share the world with them is... well... it's just amazing, honestly. I'm certainly not going to assert that I enjoy life more than you do - that would be a ridiculously subjective claim that neither of us could actually prove/disprove whatsoever. But don't underestimate my ability to enjoy life.

If I were to find that I am in some sort of minority on this - the idea that I enjoy life more because my kids are in it... well that would just be depressing beyond belief - mostly because it means all those other parents are not only missing out on what is one of the greatest things I feel is to be experienced in life, but because it likely also means they are failing their kids miserably in a lot of ways - because kids can pick up on those vibes. Didn't we all as kids? I always scratch my head at all the stories, anecdotes and jokes about how difficult parenthood is, or how frustrating raising kids can be. To my mind, people having those thoughts are missing the boat entirely - they're stuck behind some kind of veil - even if only joking. I scratch my head because I can only barely comprehend it. For my kids, I aspire to be indefatigable, of infinite patience, ultimately loving and forgiving, make sure that even if I am not voicing it, they know they have my support. Anything less is a fault of immeasurable proportions, because, just as you stated, I'm responsible for bringing them here - just as our parents were responsible for bringing us here - and didn't we all want those things from our parents? Don't we understand that at even our most base level of comprehension?

Last edited:

WalterTrull

Godfella
"And God said, Let us make man in our image..."
I'm thinking that's the whole ball of wax. It seems the path to understanding that is the one we are all taking. Not much choice there, I betcha. Kinda like choosing whether or not to breathe.

David T

Premium Member
I asked the trees their purpose. They said it was to serve man's whims in its abundant nonsense.

cf7ef15e30d904457363364159369a69.jpg

Funny how one picture can elicit a variety of opinions as to what is seen.why is that?
fixedw_large_4x.jpg