• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movies & Shows That Changed Everything.

Erebus

Night of the Living Dead

While the zombie craze has died down a little over the last few years, Romero's take on the undead sparked off an entire genre.

Heyo

Veteran Member
First movie I remember seeing at the theatre was

(I had seen some fairy tales before as a child, but I don't remember those.)
Enter the Dragon was officially rated "adult" (18+) but it was a flop at the time and the theatre was happy to take our money even though we weren't even 14.

Bruce Lee is now considered the trailblazer of martial arts in films.

Yazata

When I was a small child (elementary school) they used to have saturday matinees at an old movie theater that was torn down many decades ago and replaced with a bank and now by an office building.

The one movie that I still remember was my introduction to science fiction, 1956's Earth vs the Flying Saucers. (Not sure when I saw it, first-run movies didn't play the matinees.) It scared the living crap out of me and I loved it! After that I've been a sci-fi fan for the rest of my life. Actually there were many reasonably good black and white 1950's sci-fi movies.

[video=youtube]
[/video]

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Night of the Living Dead

While the zombie craze has died down a little over the last few years, Romero's take on the undead sparked off an entire genre.
And it seems that The Walking Dead really sparked
a change in TV towards grittier long running shows.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
That Was The Week That Was, 1962/3, was probably de rigueur viewing for those aspiring to be thinkers, and had a lot of talent that went on to greater things - quite the mix:

Not all fun and games though (not sure why the sound is so low on this):

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Two movies started a revolution limited to the series they spawned.
Harry Potter & The Philosopher's Stone (1997)
Lord Of The Rings, The Fellowship Of The Ring (2001)
There's a new series in the HP universe which you overlooked.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I remember sometime around 1980, working for a small aerospace
company near Columbia MD, I was able to listen to the radio while working.
I heard a new show called The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy.
To this day, I still celebrate Towel Day every May 25th.
Yes, that too was ground breaking in that it was the first humorous sci-fi series, again on radio. We subsequently had Red Dwarf on UK TV, which was also very funny indeed.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

Forget Scarlett Johannsens Ghost in the Shell garbage. This was one of the most influential animations in Western film because people realised how deep narratives could be portrayed in animation. Apparently people never saw something like this before. Masemune Shirow, the creator, was influenced by Blade Runner which was based off Isaac Asimov's "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep". In turn, Ghost in the Shell, was the main influence of The Matrix.
Damn you I was going to post this!

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
First movie I remember seeing at the theatre was

(I had seen some fairy tales before as a child, but I don't remember those.)
Enter the Dragon was officially rated "adult" (18+) but it was a flop at the time and the theatre was happy to take our money even though we weren't even 14.

Bruce Lee is now considered the trailblazer of martial arts in films.

How was it a flop?

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
THIS GUY!!!

The father of the Kaiju movies! He started a huge monster movie craze in Japan and is a commentary on the affect of Nuclear weapons and the bombing of Japan during world war 2.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Oh. shoot!...you jiggled the handle on one of memories. "Deliverance" was the first movie I saw with the woman who would still be my wife almost fifty years later.

Congrats to you both, D and K.

You may recall sharing some personal info with me when we discovered that we are both enthusiastic amateur musicians who perform publicly in coffeehouses (such as the 3rd Street one, from whence you shared a photo of your band) with our wives.

I hope you're no creeped out that I remembered that. And as always, your confidence is respected.

To the OP: The movies I liked best were when I was a teen in the late sixties: Cool Hand Luke and Bonnie and Clyde. But they didn't change my life.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Congrats to you both, D and K.

You may recall sharing some personal info with me when we discovered that we are both enthusiastic amateur musicians who perform publicly in coffeehouses (such as the 3rd Street one, from whence you shared a photo of your band) with our wives.

I hope you're no creeped out that I remembered that. And as always, your confidence is respected.

To the OP: The movies I liked best were when I was a teen in the late sixties: Cool Hand Luke and Bonnie and Clyde. But they didn't change my life.

Not in the least. Thank you for remembering. We have come a long way since then. If you are interested, I'll PM our band's Facebook page; it has a lot more info. Thanks again.