• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movies & Shows That Changed Everything.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Of course that really is this movie:

BTW, not sure you knew this, but Frankie Laine (the guy that sung the theme song) was never told that the movie was a satire before he recorded the song. They let him believe that this was going to be a serious mainstream western. Mel Brooks--ya gotta love him.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
So far, everybody's focusing on movies. I'm more of a stage buff -- and though it was first produced 55 years ago, my favourite stage show (a musical) is Man of La Mancha. I saw Richard Kiley star in 1971 (he was the original in Connecticut in 1965). It was incredibly daring for its day, including a rape scene of the kitchen **** Aldonza (Dulcinea, to Senor Quixote).

Over the course of my life, I've now seen 14 completely separate productions of the show.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Star Wars, because it is so Iconic that referencing it is extremely common in movies and series and everyday life in general. Plus Lucas created the company Industrial Lights and Magic because he wasn't happy with graphics quality at the time. Now that company is involved in almost every movies these days. Plus it was responsible for Adobe Photoshop.

The Matrix because it again is a movie that is regularly referenced and increase the graphics quality of other movies.

The Dark Knight because it is the reason Super Hero movies became popular and its influence ushered in the Marvel Cinematic universe.
For you....
hoping-to-be-rescued-by-a-marvel-superhero-conde-nast.jpg

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
But does it portend changing everything?
That's why I mentioned the first movie.
It deals with racism obviously. It deals with gay issues (at the ending). It deals with greedy capitalists. It broke the fourth wall.

And just to be complete, I don't believe that a movie or show "changed everything".

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
This was the first TV show that showed the kids' perspective.

Who could forget Eddie Haskel.
I'm sure he grew up to be a disgraced politician.

gnomon

Before I watched the beauty of the studio behind Wallace and Grommit. An advertising company.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
The Jazz Singer.
Showed the potential of sound in cinema.
Disney, Steamboat Willie, Silly Symphonies and the 1939 Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Not only the leading forces in sound synchronisation but the first to realise the potential of colour presentations and realistic animation of human proportions. A lot of early Disney were game changers in and of themselves. Using expensive but new film processes. Like Fantasia was the first to use to use stereophonic techniques that are still used and even inspire innovations to this day.
And many works that proceeded them, they utilised new and experimental techniques, to various degrees of success, arguably pioneering various cinematic techniques.
Say what you like about Walt, he was in the end a true visionary.

Last edited: