• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movies & Shows That Changed Everything.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I remember many many years ago in the 60s, going to Detroit to watch one of the Dollar trilogy movies.
Which one?
I forget.
Fistfull of Dollars, For A Few Dollars More, or The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly?
Anyway, this was different from any western I'd ever seen.
I knew immediately that this was how they should be.
It was dirty....the set, the characters, their clothing, everything.
The score was over the top....like nothing I'd ever heard before.

The John Wayne type of western was instantly dated....dead & obsolete.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
For me, it was "Doctor Zhivago", as that was the first date with a woman who would eventually become my wife. And it was at a theater in Kalamazoo watching "A Man For All Seasons", which is about St. Thomas More, that I decided to ask my wife for marriage, which I did about a week later, even though my date was with my old girlfriend as I wanted to make sure that I was making the right decision.

Other movies that really impressed me includes "Lawrence of Arabia", "Dances With Wolves", and the t.v. movie series "Jesus of Nazareth". Nowadays, I really tend to favor British movies and programs, such as "The Theory of Everything", "Me Before You", and "The Imitation Game".

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Let us not forget the "Trinity " movies in this genre...

"My Name Is Trinity", "Trinity Rides Again", et. al.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
For me, it was "Doctor Zhivago", as that was the first date with a woman who would eventually become my wife. And it was at a theater in Kalamazoo watching "A Man For All Seasons", which is about St. Thomas More, that I decided to ask my wife for marriage, which I did about a week later, even though my date was with my old girlfriend as I wanted to make sure that I was making the right decision.

Other movies that really impressed me includes "Lawrence of Arabia", "Dances With Wolves", and the t.v. movie series "Jesus of Nazareth". Nowadays, I really tend to favor British movies and programs, such as "The Theory of Everything", "Me Before You", and "The Imitation Game".

Oh. shoot!...you jiggled the handle on one of memories. "Deliverance" was the first movie I saw with the woman who would still be my wife almost fifty years later.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Oh. shoot!...you jiggled the handle on one of memories. "Deliverance" was the first movie I saw with the woman who would still be my wife almost fifty years later.
Although this is not about your wife, didn't that movie leave a bad taste in your mouth?

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
2001: A Space Odyssey changed what a science fiction film could be forever. It was an art film, a meditation on humanity, an epic, a perfect marriage of film and music, a new standard in special effects, ....
Massively influential and one of the best films of the 20th century.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Sci Fi was forever changed by several movies.
But the first game changer for me was 1951's.....
Sci fi finally became really interesting & compelling.
The score (Bernard Herrmann) is still one of the greatest ever.
Inspiration for Mars Attacks, eh.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
Star Wars, because it is so Iconic that referencing it is extremely common in movies and series and everyday life in general. Plus Lucas created the company Industrial Lights and Magic because he wasn't happy with graphics quality at the time. Now that company is involved in almost every movies these days. Plus it was responsible for Adobe Photoshop.

The Matrix because it again is a movie that is regularly referenced and increase the graphics quality of other movies.

The Dark Knight because it is the reason Super Hero movies became popular and its influence ushered in the Marvel Cinematic universe.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In 2002, Sam Raimi & Danny Elfman ignited the modern superhero movie
format with Spiderman. Before that, there wasn't any real continuity or
collaboration in the various universes of DC or Marvel.
This was the 1st in the Raimi trilogy.

Edit.....
Oopsie!
X-Men was earlier (2000).

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In 1989, Tim Burton & Danny Elfman transformed Batman from a campy TV
goofball into something dark & menacing. Batman has been this way ever since.
(It was Elfman's theme which sold the brass on making the movie.)
I remember the opening as exceptional....very striking.

Subsequent Dark Knight versions were great, but they
didn't change the genre...more evolution than revolution.

One game changer though....
With the introduction of Heath Ledger's Joker, the villain
suddenly became the more interesting character. than the hero.

Last edited:

pearl

Although this is not about your wife, didn't that movie leave a bad taste in your mouth?

It was a terrible movie!

2001: A Space Odyssey changed what a science fiction film could be forever. It was an art film, a meditation on humanity, an epic, a perfect marriage of film and music, a new standard in special effects, ....

One of my favorites, love the soundtrack.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
In 2002, Sam Raimi & Danny Elfman ignited the modern superhero movie format with Spiderman.
Before that, there wasn't any continuity & collaboration in the various universes of DC or Marvel.
This was the 1st in the Raimi trilogy.

This Spiderman movie is blasphemy to me. I will hunt you down in my spidey suit :p

There was definitely a progression in superhero movies over the years. But this is why the Dark Knight stood out:

"The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences didn't quite see it that way however. While The Dark Knight received a total of eight Oscar nominations — the most ever for a comics-based movie — they were almost all technical nominations with the exception of Ledger's nod for Best Supporting Actor. Nolan was overlooked for Best Director and the movie itself did not make the cut for Best Picture, with the fifth slot going to the inferior Kate Winslet-starring The Reader.

With The Dark Knight clearly pleasing both critics and audiences, it was suggested that the Academy was snubbing the movie purely because it was based on comic books. The outcry arguably led to the Academy later expanding the Best Picture category to include up to 10 films, instead of the usual five, which directly led to nominations in later years for movies like Avatar, District 9, Mad Max: Fury Road and others.

Ledger posthumously won the Best Supporting Actor award — after winning many others, including a Golden Globe, a Screen Actors Guild prize, a BAFTA award and many others — with his family emotionally accepting the trophy at the Oscars ceremony. Ledger remains the only actor to date to win an Oscar for a role in a superhero movie."

"The Dark Knight proved several things: that comic book movies, while already successful, could be box office behemoths beyond anyone's prediction; that they could tackle serious subjects and themes with the same gravitas as any other major motion picture; and that they could interpret their material in such a way that they would appeal to more than just nerds picking up their pull lists every Wednesday at their local comics shop."

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/a-def...k Knight was an,that the form could transcend

That being said, it doesn't mean that previous super hero movies and series weren't great. Just that people realised the possible greatness super hero movies could achieve.

Another great series was Batman, the Animated Series. It introduced us to Harley Quinn and created a lot of the backstories for certain characters, such as Two Face, which influenced Two Face in the Dark Knight.

It also won loads of Emmies, seems to be the building block which Batman movies are based on, and made Mark Hamill the official timeless voice of the Joker and possibly the most iconic Joker.

They also experimented a new way of animating, in which they drew the scenes on black paper, which is why the show has such a dark feel.

Watching the series now though, it is definitely not for children, but is indeed brilliant.

I am incredibly biased towards good Batman movies...

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
In 1989, Tim Burton & Danny Elfman transformed Batman from a campy TV
goofball into something dark & menacing. Batman has been this way ever since.
(It was Elfman's theme which sold the brass on making the movie.)
I remember the opening as exceptional....very striking.

Subsequent Dark Knight versions were great, but they
didn't change the genre...more evolution than revolution.

Burton's Batman movies were iconic. I liked the villains though, not the actors who played Batman.

What is interesting is that the comicbook The Dark Knight Returns set the stage for making Batman more Dark and Menacing. It basically reinvented Batman and the subsequent movies and series followed suit. It is a brilliant comic, great story and well drawn.

The Dark Knight Returns - Wikipedia

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
This Spiderman movie is blasphemy to me. I will hunt you down in my spidey suit :p

There was definitely a progression in superhero movies over the years. But this is why the Dark Knight stood out:

"The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences didn't quite see it that way however. While The Dark Knight received a total of eight Oscar nominations — the most ever for a comics-based movie — they were almost all technical nominations with the exception of Ledger's nod for Best Supporting Actor. Nolan was overlooked for Best Director and the movie itself did not make the cut for Best Picture, with the fifth slot going to the inferior Kate Winslet-starring The Reader.

With The Dark Knight clearly pleasing both critics and audiences, it was suggested that the Academy was snubbing the movie purely because it was based on comic books. The outcry arguably led to the Academy later expanding the Best Picture category to include up to 10 films, instead of the usual five, which directly led to nominations in later years for movies like Avatar, District 9, Mad Max: Fury Road and others.

Ledger posthumously won the Best Supporting Actor award — after winning many others, including a Golden Globe, a Screen Actors Guild prize, a BAFTA award and many others — with his family emotionally accepting the trophy at the Oscars ceremony. Ledger remains the only actor to date to win an Oscar for a role in a superhero movie."

"The Dark Knight proved several things: that comic book movies, while already successful, could be box office behemoths beyond anyone's prediction; that they could tackle serious subjects and themes with the same gravitas as any other major motion picture; and that they could interpret their material in such a way that they would appeal to more than just nerds picking up their pull lists every Wednesday at their local comics shop."

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/a-definitive-timeline-of-how-the-dark-knight-changed-everything#:~:text=The Dark Knight was an,that the form could transcend

That being said, it doesn't mean that previous super hero movies and series weren't great. Just that people realised the possible greatness super hero movies could achieve.

Another great series was Batman, the Animated Series. It introduced us to Harley Quinn and created a lot of the backstories for certain characters, such as Two Face, which influenced Two Face in the Dark Knight.

It also won loads of Emmies, seems to be the building block which Batman movies are based on, and made Mark Hamill the official timeless voice of the Joker and possibly the most iconic Joker.

They also experimented a new way of animating, in which they drew the scenes on black paper, which is why the show has such a dark feel.

Watching the series now though, it is definitely not for children, but is indeed brilliant.

I am incredibly biased towards good Batman movies...
The Dark Knight was indeed a great movie. But Burton's 1989 Batman
had already done the job of morphing him from the goofy Adam West
version into a serious superhero. Again, The Dark Knight was evolution,
not revolution.
Btw, Hans Zimmer's score is fantastic. And Bale is the better Batman.