• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movies & Shows That Changed Everything.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Burton's Batman movies were iconic. I liked the villains though, not the actors who played Batman.

What is interesting is that the comicbook The Dark Knight Returns set the stage for making Batman more Dark and Menacing. It basically reinvented Batman and the subsequent movies and series followed suit. It is a brilliant comic, great story and well drawn.

The Dark Knight Returns - Wikipedia
We should never mention Batman movies with George Gooney or Val Killmore.
For all practical purposes, they do not exist.
Think of the children!

Samael_Khan

Goosebender

Forget Scarlett Johannsens Ghost in the Shell garbage. This was one of the most influential animations in Western film because people realised how deep narratives could be portrayed in animation. Apparently people never saw something like this before. Masemune Shirow, the creator, was influenced by Blade Runner which was based off Isaac Asimov's "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep". In turn, Ghost in the Shell, was the main influence of The Matrix.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Was it really so long ago...1979....that Alien came out?
Sci fi horror had finally arrived.
Ridley Scott & Jerry Goldsmith created a most difficult movie....a sci
fi movie which still looks & sounds great almost half a century later.

exchemist

Veteran Member
It was For A Few Dollars More.
Yeah, very good. It's a great film.

My 2 favourite moments are first the preposterous accuracy with which El Indio fires a bullet from his revolver to set the wheel of someone's spurs spinning and then a second one to stop it again, and then........best of all, the Hat Duel:

exchemist

Veteran Member
I remember many many years ago in the 60s, going to Detroit to watch one of the Dollar trilogy movies.
Which one?
I forget.
Fistfull of Dollars, For A Few Dollars More, or The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly?
Anyway, this was different from any western I'd ever seen.
I knew immediately that this was how they should be.
It was dirty....the set, the characters, their clothing, everything.
The score was over the top....like nothing I'd ever heard before.

The John Wayne type of western was instantly dated....dead & obsolete.
As for shows that changed everything, I would nominate Monty Python. Not only did it change humour profoundly but it also played a quite a part in bringing down the system of deference to authority and to class in Britain in the early seventies.

Nothing was ever quite the same after the "Upper Class Twit of the Year Show", a pastiche of the Horse of the Year Show, which was about showjumping and full of, well, upper class twits:

Nigel Incubator-Jones and Gervase Brooke-Hamster are still remembered. :D

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The Terminator was a ground breaking movie.
But the sequel, T2 was more so because it was the beginning of CGI revolution.
Caution:
Profanity & violence.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
Was it really so long ago...1979....that Alien came out?
Sci fi horror had finally arrived.
Ridley Scott & Jerry Goldsmith created a most difficult movie....a sci
fi movie which still looks & sounds great almost half a century later.

One of my favourite series of movies EVER!!! I even bought the DVD's recently just to have them decorate my room. I love the psychological horror of the first movie because it makes one scared of the shadows. And HR Gigers disturbing artwork can be seen in his Xenomorph design. Surprisingly, like Blade Runner, the new Alien movies are also good, especially Alien Covenant.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
As for shows that changed everything, I would nominate Monty Python. Not only did it change humour profoundly but it also played a quite a part in bringing down the system of deference to authority and to class in Britain in the early seventies.

Nothing was ever quite the same after the "Upper Class Twit of the Year Show", a pastiche of the Horse of the Year Show, which was about showjumping and full of, well, upper class twits:

Nigel Incubator-Jones and Gervase Brooke-Hamster are still remembered. :D
Was it Monty Python or The Goon Show?
It seems the latter led to the former.
But I agree that Monty Python had the greater influence.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Was it Monty Python or The Goon Show?
It seems the latter led to the former.
But I agree that Monty Python had the greater influence.
The Goon show was the first surreal humour show on Radio. It was followed by I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again, again on radio, which derived from a Cambridge Footlights performance. Several people from ISIRTA went on to Monty Python.

But it was Monty Python that had the social influence. None of us could take the upper classes, army colonels or anyone, really, very seriously after that. Not even Australians:

"This 'ere is the wattle, the emblem of our land.
Yer can stick it in a bottle. Yer can hold it in yer hand."

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Two movies started a revolution limited to the series they spawned.
Harry Potter & The Philosopher's Stone (1997)
Lord Of The Rings, The Fellowship Of The Ring (2001)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I remember sometime around 1980, working for a small aerospace
company near Columbia MD, I was able to listen to the radio while working.
I heard a new show called The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy.
To this day, I still celebrate Towel Day every May 25th.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I was a huge martial arts fan so when I saw the epic movie of David Carradine vs Chuck Norris in Lone Wolf McQuade, I was sold.

I think one of the biggest influential movies I've seen earlier than that even was Jaws. That scared so many people that they didn't want to swim in the ocean anymore.

And who could ever forget the universal iconic music score? Dun da dun da dun da...... Even better while you're swimming. *Grin*

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In 1984, the movie Frankenweenie got Tim Burton fired from Disney.
This movie & its consequences led to a whole series of very different
& revolutionary movies....Pee Wee's Big Adventure, Beetlejuice, Batman,
Edward Scissorhands, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Mars Attacks, etc.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
A year later (1960) was the first prime time cartoon ever, The Flintstones.
It led to 1962's The Jetsons.

They paved the way for 1989's, The Simpsons (which originated as shorts on The Tracy Ullman Show in 1987.)
Prime time cartoons had finally arrived, with an explosion of diverse offerings.