• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Christian Missionaries use the tactic of Pretending to be Muslim to convert Them?

Sara Thinks

Jay smith, is a famous christian apologists, who have been debating Muslims all around the world on vast topics about Islam.
He has spoken of this practice " disguising as Muslims" to bring people closer to Christianity!
watch the video where he speaks of different classes, methods of this tactic.

I want you all to respond firstly in a word/phrase response to this practice of Christians after you have watched the video, afterward you can give your explanation (if it this malpractice seems right to you, or evil , how should Muslims respond, have you any experience with such kind of people or have you (if christian) been part of this practice, and have left it).

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
At least sometimes, I think the mindset is that just about any means is justified if it serves the end of bringing people to salvation -- salvation (or, alternately, an escape from eternal hell) being seen as so much more important than almost everything one does in this life.

Kirran

Premium Member
At least sometimes, I think the mindset is that just about any means is justified if it serves the end of bringing people to salvation -- salvation (or, alternately, an escape from eternal hell) being seen as so much more important than almost everything one does in this life.

When you look at it from a certain point of view, it's very good of them. Although I suspect 'This is the right way and I will convince others of it' is often more a motivating factor than soul-saving. Although of course they'll tell themselves otherwise.

David1967

Premium Member
Not cool. Although to call it a 'practice of Christians' is hardly fair. Fairer to call it a practice of less scrupulous Christian missionaries. Missionaries of all creeds often employ rather unsavoury tactics.

I agree. If a person is pretending to be something they're not in order to bring them toward what they are, then the whole conversation is starting off with deception, which doesn't speak well of the character of said individual.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
His speech is edited at minute 1:05 and around 4:40. The video cuts his speech into pieces. Its balogney.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Jay smith, is a famous christian apologists, who have been debating Muslims all around the world on vast topics about Islam.
He has spoken of this practice " disguising as Muslims" to bring people closer to Christianity!

I want you all to respond firstly in a word/phrase response to this practice of Christians after you have watched the video, afterward you can give your explanation (if it this malpractice seems right to you, or evil , how should Muslims respond, have you any experience with such kind of people or have you (if christian) been part of this practice, and have left it).

Couldn't this be simply tenet camouflage?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Not cool. Although to call it a 'practice of Christians' is hardly fair. Fairer to call it a practice of less scrupulous Christian missionaries. Missionaries of all creeds often employ rather unsavoury tactics.

Years ago 'so-called' missionaries used food to help make converts being called 'Rice Christians '.
Pretending to be what you are not is deceitful, and deliberate deceit is a lie which is sinning.
They would be classed as part of the MANY of whom Jesus spoke about at Matthew 7:21-23
They call Jesus as Lord but disown him by their behavior and actions.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

Deceitful. Malpractice does not apply and evil is a tiny bit extreme. Likewise, this is hardly a "Christian" practice, but rather, something that some rather dimwitted "Christians" seem to think is a cool idea. Anything for the sheep, I suppose. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure how effective it would be to fake being a Muslim in order to bring conversations around to a positive discussion about Christianity. In theory, intelligent Muslims would see through the charade all too quickly for it to be very effective.

Call me silly, but I don't think anyone likes to be deceived and will usually make their displeasure abundantly obvious. :cool:

Last edited:

Kirran

Premium Member
I saw this thing about a guy who'd converted from Islam to born-again Christianity, and he said that people listened to him when he questioned Islamic doctrine so as to bring people to Christianity (e.g. asking questions like 'Would a perfect Prophet have sex with a nine-year-old?' and so forth) because he was a Muslim. Even though he'd left Islam, he still said there was a sense in which he was a Muslim cos that was his background, so they saw him in that light. This is kind of the reverse of that.

Rational Agnostic

One would think so, although that does not seem to be the case with most Christians, as very few actually share their faith or try to convert others. Makes you wonder about their sincerity I suppose.

Sultan Of Swing

If this actually happens, which I am doubtful of and must be an incredibly small number, then utterly foolish, the vain efforts and tactics of man will not bring a sinner to salvation but only the will of God.

Sara Thinks

i agree, all christian missionaries may not do it, but many do!

Sara Thinks

That's what those certain missionaries who practice that are thinking, but you think THE GOD would approve bringing someone towards A RELIGION Through deception & cheating?

Sara Thinks

His speech is edited at minute 1:05 and around 4:40. The video cuts his speech into pieces. Its balogney.
I do not accept your comment, as you had your full right and freedom to search for the original video and check for yourself if he was quoted out of context or not. You made accusations about the video without any prove. The original clip is over 1 hour video, where JAY SMITH speaks about this practice all along, you don't expect the video makers to put the whole 1hour video, do you?

Give your explanation for your comment!

Kirran

Premium Member
i agree, all christian missionaries may not do it, but many do!

Islamic, likewise. But there's no need to tar the entire religions with that brush.

There are lots of horror stories about the practices of missionaries against Hindus. Withholding medicine, making them spit on their deities and so on.

Sara Thinks

Couldn't this be simply tenet camouflage?
please provide further explanation, what is tenet camouflage and how do you justify it?
As a norm, Muslims of different nationality practice Islam. All those who go to the masjid for example, are from different culture and race, no one is disguising themselves or even adhering to one culture but each follow their own culture.
By culture I mean, there dress, speech, style, etc. some may wear suit, some long gowns, etc

I have seen Muslim-christian dialogue debates, but i haven't seen christian who change their name to an Islamic/Arabic one, who change their clothing, grow beard like Muslims and pray with them, mix with them while all Muslims are thinking they are converts to Islam.
If these certain christian missionaries had been just themselves, original name, following own culture and then mixing with Muslims to preach their religion, there wouldn't be any point of questioning or scrutinizing!

Sara Thinks

Islamic, likewise. But there's no need to tar the entire religions with that brush.

There are lots of horror stories about the practices of missionaries against Hindus. Withholding medicine, making them spit on their deities and so on.
how did i and when did i tar the entire religion with a brush? please quote with evidence.
the video it self clearly ridicules those christian missionaries who are involved in such practice!

Yes i know of many horrific hindu practices, but since this is not the topic of this thread i won't speak further on this issue.

Sara Thinks

Years ago 'so-called' missionaries used food to help make converts being called 'Rice Christians '.
Pretending to be what you are not is deceitful, and deliberate deceit is a lie which is sinning.
They would be classed as part of the MANY of whom Jesus spoke about at Matthew 7:21-23
They call Jesus as Lord but disown him by their behavior and actions.
thank you very much, many other also have had experience with "such christian missionaries"
when you mentioned rice Christians, does it mean like missionaries who travel around to refugee camps or natural disaster stricken countries and provide food and shelter AND PREACH CHRISTIANITY, thus converting the poor, unfortunate people?

Kirran

Premium Member
how did i and when did i tar the entire religion with a brush? please quote with evidence.
the video it self clearly ridicules those christian missionaries who are involved in such practice!

Yes i know of many horrific hindu practices, but since this is not the topic of this thread i won't speak further on this issue.

A term like "I want you all to respond firstly in a word/phrase response to this practice of Christians after you have watched the video," rather implies you're tarring all Christians with this brush, although that may well not have been your intention. There are also Islamic missionaries who commit some pretty heinous crimes in their attempts to convert people to Islam.

Worse than what you describe are the Christian and Muslim groups who carry out conversion by the sword (or Kalashnikov).

I didn't say anything about Hindu practices. I spoke about the horrific tactics which some missionaries operating in the Indian subcontinent (and elsewhere, no doubt) use in their attempts to convert Hindus to Abrahamic religions.