• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Divorce Rates for Conservative Christians Higher than for Atheists

Rational Agnostic

According to this article https://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_dira.htm , divorce is much more frequent among conservative Christians than among many other demographics, including atheists and agnostics.

But of course, it's no surprise. The moronic "no sex until marriage" concept only leads to inevitable failure. If you're going to make a lifelong commitment to someone, it is logical to know everything about them prior to making the commitment, including moving in together and engaging in sex. It is certainly irrational to make a commitment prior to engaging in sexual intercourse and cohabitation for a prolonged period of time. I speak from personal experience. Many evangelicals I know myself were married several times. Telling a young person to wait until marriage for sex will inevitably lead them to get married so that they can have sex, and more than likely, to marry the first person they find attractive. Thus, it's no surprise. Christian marriages will continue to predictably and logically fail, while we atheists and agnostics will continue to have sustainable marriages. A sustainable marriage is based upon a sustainable connection that has already been tested through years of cohabitation and sexual intercourse. It blows my mind that anyone would sign a legally binding contract to another person without first testing for compatibility for many years prior to making the commitment.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
According to this article https://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_dira.htm , divorce is much more frequent among conservative Christians than among many other demographics, including atheists and agnostics.

But of course, it's no surprise. The moronic "no sex until marriage" concept only leads to inevitable failure. If you're going to make a lifelong commitment to someone, it is logical to know everything about them prior to making the commitment, including moving in together and engaging in sex. It is certainly irrational to make a commitment prior to engaging in sexual intercourse and cohabitation for a prolonged period of time. I speak from personal experience. Many evangelicals I know myself were married several times. Telling a young person to wait until marriage for sex will inevitably lead them to get married so that they can have sex, and more than likely, to marry the first person they find attractive. Thus, it's no surprise. Christian marriages will continue to predictably and logically fail, while we atheists and agnostics will continue to have sustainable marriages. A sustainable marriage is based upon a sustainable connection that has already been tested through years of cohabitation and sexual intercourse. It blows my mind that anyone would sign a legally binding contract to another person without first testing for compatibility for many years prior to making the commitment.
I'd speculate that the divorce rates are higher because they are trying to live up to irrationally constructed caricature roles of what a "husband" and a "wife" should be, that no human other than a two-dimensional non-reality human being can actually be. Sex within those walls is going to suck, regardless. It's not really honest sex, but with a Christian Idealist blow-up doll in between. ;)

Skwim

Veteran Member

And is it any wonder? 87% more non-Christians than born-agains believe premarital sex is not wrong.

Changing+beliefs+premarital+sex.jpg

Not only are Born-agains missing out on a great experience, but they're setting themselves up for failure.

SugarOcean

¡pɹᴉǝM ʎɐʇS
The OP research largely depends on the ten year old+ study of George Barna.
Atheists/Atheism and Divorce Rates/ Statistics Vs. Christians
5. The appellation "Christian" a Christian does not make. There are great numbers of people in this world who call themselves "Christians" but have never internalized the teachings of Jesus Christ. Most, in fact, do not even know what His teachings really are. Another major problem is the fact that large numbers of professing Christians do not even accept a Christian world view. Among Born Again Christians researcher George Barna found that only 9% have a Biblical world view.(7) Whatever the reason, large numbers of Christians do not take seriously Christ's teaching that marriage is sacred and that divorce is only allowed when sexual immorality takes place.

Although Bible scholars and teachers point out that Jesus taught that divorce was a sin unless adultery was involved, few Americans buy that notion. Only one out of every seven adults (15%) strongly agreed with the statement "when a couple gets divorced without one of them having committed adultery, they are committing a sin." A similar percentage (16%) moderately agreed with the statement. The vast majority - 66% - disagreed with the statement, most of them strongly dismissing the notion.[8]

What we see, therefore, in some professing Christians is a strong disregard for Biblical teachings, with ensuing marital disasters.

David T

Premium Member
According to this article U.S. divorce rates: for various faith groups, age groups and geographical areas , divorce is much more frequent among conservative Christians than among many other demographics, including atheists and agnostics.

Thread 968 of "study supports my bias". Currently it stands at 488 atheists To 480 thumpers.

Scientifically More atheists prefer studies affirming their bias than their religious counter parts.

Get with it bible thumpers you are losing the debate!!! Slackers. Get evidence for your bias or move along!!!

Skwim

Veteran Member
5. The appellation "Christian" a Christian does not make. There are great numbers of people in this world who call themselves "Christians" but have never internalized the teachings of Jesus Christ. Most, in fact, do not even know what His teachings really are. Another major problem is the fact that large numbers of professing Christians do not even accept a Christian world view. Among Born Again Christians researcher George Barna found that only 9% have a Biblical world view.(7) Whatever the reason, large numbers of Christians do not take seriously Christ's teaching that marriage is sacred and that divorce is only allowed when sexual immorality takes place.
Good grief, not the old "They ain't no Christian unless they is believin' as I do" canard again. :rolleyes:

Although Bible scholars and teachers point out that Jesus taught that divorce was a sin unless adultery was involved, few Americans buy that notion. Only one out of every seven adults (15%) strongly agreed with the statement "when a couple gets divorced without one of them having committed adultery, they are committing a sin." A similar percentage (16%) moderately agreed with the statement. The vast majority - 66% - disagreed with the statement, most of them strongly dismissing the notion.[8]
What we see, therefore, in some professing Christians is a strong disregard for Biblical teachings, with ensuing marital disasters.
I presume then that you go along with the ownership of slaves. The New Testament makes no condemnation of slavery and does no more than admonish slaves to be obedient and their masters not to be unfair. Paul, or whoever wrote the epistles, at no time suggested there was anything wrong with slavery.

Ephesians 6:5-8 (NASB):
5Slaves, be obedient to those who are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in the sincerity of your heart, as to Christ; 6not by way of eyeservice, as men-pleasers, but as slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart. 7With good will render service, as to the Lord, and not to men, 8knowing that whatever good thing each one does, this he will receive back from the Lord, whether slave or free.

1 Timothy 6:1-2
1All who are under the yoke as slaves are to regard their own masters as worthy of all honor so that the name of God and our doctrine will not be spoken against. 2Those who have believers as their masters must not be disrespectful to them because they are brethren, but must serve them all the more, because those who partake of the benefit are believers and beloved. Teach and preach these principles.

Ephesians 6:9
9And masters, do the same things to them, and give up threatening, knowing that both their Master and yours is in heaven, and there is no partiality with Him.
Colossians 4:1
1Masters, grant to your slaves justice and fairness, knowing that you too have a Master in heaven.

Last edited:

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
Thread 968 of "study supports my bias". Currently it stands at 488 atheists To 480 thumpers.

Scientifically More atheists prefer studies affirming their bias than their religious counter parts.

Get with it bible thumpers you are losing the debate!!! Slackers. Get evidence for your bias or move along!!!
Why bring common sense into the argument?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

Oh, please, there's only one way to "internalize the teachings of Jesus Christ." If that were the case, there wouldn't be 38,000 Christian denominations and sects. Y'all can't even agree among yourselves, how can you pretend to tell anybody else what it's all about?

Wandering Monk

I suspect that the reason for the higher divorce rates is because the spouse doesn't live up to unreasonable expectations of marriage and family life derived from their Bibles and their preachers.

David T

Premium Member
Why bring common sense into the argument?
ha!!!!!!!

Oh great i am going to get a rules violation.... Again.
. "we want to inform you that we have to once again moderate your post due to Rev. Bobs astute ovservation you are using common sense. As stated previously please read the rules and cease further common sense applications here on Religious forums. "
Lol.

The Reverend Bob

ha!!!!!!!

Oh great i am going to get a rules violation.... Again.
. "we want to inform you that we have to once again moderate your post due to Rev. Bobs astute ovservation you are using common sense. As stated previously please read the rules and cease further common sense applications here on Religious forums. "
Lol.
I am going to create a post cited a study that atheists are ten times more likely to be geeks than theists are

David T

Premium Member
I am going to create a post ctited a study that atheists are ten times more likely to be geeks than theists are
I am in the costco parking lot and read this and just started busting a gut. I looked over and a geek was eyeing me with suspicion..i shouted. "ATHEIST" .... they smiled like i was brilliant for being so aware!! I confirmed their bias! If they had frowned i would have said "sorry evangelical college grad my mistake" they are hard to tell apart.

The Reverend Bob

You know atheists also have a lower marriage rate that theists. Many atheists don't get married for a variety of reasons like the whole being physically unattractive and socially awkward thing

Darkforbid

I totally agree with the post. Nothing at all wrong with ****ing around before marriage. It's not like any tax payer minds stumping up for all the unplanned pregnancy, child care, std clinics. etc

Of course making heterosexual sex illegal would solve all of this

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
What might be a contributing factor here is that some conservative Christians may be more prone to having a far shorter dating and engagement period, thus they're not able to fully get to know each other as well and determine how well they actually mesh together.

Rational Agnostic

You know atheists also have a lower marriage rate that theists. Many atheists don't get married for a variety of reasons like the whole being physically unattractive and socially awkward thing

Eh, not sure about that. Most Christian married couples I know are obese geriatrics who never leave their homes to socialize aside from going to church so.....

The Reverend Bob

I suspect...since everyone is using that term for some reason...I suspect the reason is because men are hardwired spread their DNA around, not only that but Christian men who have a mandate to be fruitful and multiply. And of course if you are going to be spreading your seed around that can cause problems if you want to maintain a stable relationship because you are going to be hopping around and your partner will not like it

And I have articles and studies to prove my bias.