• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Divorce Rates for Conservative Christians Higher than for Atheists

Rational Agnostic

I suspect...since everyone is using that term for some reason...I suspect the reason is because men are hardwired spread their DNA around, not only that but Christian men who have a mandate to be fruitful and multiply. And of course if you are going to be spreading your seed around that can cause problems if you want to maintain a stable relationship because you are going to be hopping around and your partner will not like it

And I have articles and studies to prove my bias.

So you're saying Christian men are more likely to cheat?

SugarOcean

¡pɹᴉǝM ʎɐʇS
Good grief, not the old "They ain't no Christian unless they is believin' as I do" canard again.
No such thing here.
Christians follow the bible. Therefore what the bible says about divorce is applicable to the topic of divorce rates among Christians.
Realizing you would love that Christians are claimed to divorce more than atheists, but when the fact of nominal Christian status in those rates apply , you impart the irrelevant canard charge.

Rational Agnostic

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
So perhaps you are onto something. I don't see what it has to do with "evolution" though.
The more chance you have in spreading your DNA around the more evolutionary successful you are. Cheating is a recipe for success if you are going to have many offspring to continue genetic line

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member
The OP research largely depends on the ten year old+ study of George Barna.
Atheists/Atheism and Divorce Rates/ Statistics Vs. Christians
5. The appellation "Christian" a Christian does not make. There are great numbers of people in this world who call themselves "Christians" but have never internalized the teachings of Jesus Christ. Most, in fact, do not even know what His teachings really are. Another major problem is the fact that large numbers of professing Christians do not even accept a Christian world view. Among Born Again Christians researcher George Barna found that only 9% have a Biblical world view.(7) Whatever the reason, large numbers of Christians do not take seriously Christ's teaching that marriage is sacred and that divorce is only allowed when sexual immorality takes place.

Although Bible scholars and teachers point out that Jesus taught that divorce was a sin unless adultery was involved, few Americans buy that notion. Only one out of every seven adults (15%) strongly agreed with the statement "when a couple gets divorced without one of them having committed adultery, they are committing a sin." A similar percentage (16%) moderately agreed with the statement. The vast majority - 66% - disagreed with the statement, most of them strongly dismissing the notion.[8]

What we see, therefore, in some professing Christians is a strong disregard for Biblical teachings, with ensuing marital disasters.
That is always interesting to me. I have never acquired, known, or observed in anyone an ability to know who is and who is not Christian. I also know that Christians are human and capable of sinning, so I find it difficult to know if I am observing a Christian who is sinning or one that others would consider Christian in name only. You will have to tell me how you are able to tell the difference.

SugarOcean

¡pɹᴉǝM ʎɐʇS
That is always interesting to me. I have never acquired, known, or observed in anyone an ability to know who is and who is not Christian. I also know that Christians are human and capable of sinning, so I find it difficult to know if I am observing a Christian who is sinning or one that others would consider Christian in name only. You will have to tell me how you are able to tell the difference.
Fortunately , I am not George. You'll have to send your query to him being this so called "rate" table is credited to his research.

Skwim

Veteran Member
No such thing here.
Christians follow the bible. Therefore what the bible says about divorce is applicable to the topic of divorce rates among Christians.
Realizing you would love that Christians are claimed to divorce more than atheists, but when the fact of nominal Christian status in those rates apply , you impart the irrelevant canard charge.
By your silence on the slavery issue then I take it that you do go along with the ownership of slaves. SHAME! SugarOcean, SHAME! But alas, it is the Christian thing to do, isn't it.

awkward_bible_slaves_obey.jpg

SugarOcean

¡pɹᴉǝM ʎɐʇS
By your silence on the slavery issue then I take it that you do go along with the ownership of slaves. SHAME! SugarOcean, SHAME! But alas, it is the Christian thing to do, isn't it.
No dear, I refused to respond to a non-sequitur. When you can't stay on topic, don't blame me for refusing to follow your derail.

59f4e22bf21fc.image.jpg

Cooky

Veteran Member
According to this article https://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_dira.htm , divorce is much more frequent among conservative Christians than among many other demographics, including atheists and agnostics.

But of course, it's no surprise. The moronic "no sex until marriage" concept only leads to inevitable failure. If you're going to make a lifelong commitment to someone, it is logical to know everything about them prior to making the commitment, including moving in together and engaging in sex. It is certainly irrational to make a commitment prior to engaging in sexual intercourse and cohabitation for a prolonged period of time. I speak from personal experience. Many evangelicals I know myself were married several times. Telling a young person to wait until marriage for sex will inevitably lead them to get married so that they can have sex, and more than likely, to marry the first person they find attractive. Thus, it's no surprise. Christian marriages will continue to predictably and logically fail, while we atheists and agnostics will continue to have sustainable marriages. A sustainable marriage is based upon a sustainable connection that has already been tested through years of cohabitation and sexual intercourse. It blows my mind that anyone would sign a legally binding contract to another person without first testing for compatibility for many years prior to making the commitment.

So you think divorce is morally wrong?

Cooky

Veteran Member

And is it any wonder? 87% more non-Christians than born-agains believe premarital sex is not wrong.

Changing+beliefs+premarital+sex.jpg

Not only are Born-agains missing out on a great experience, but they're setting themselves up for failure.

I think the chart suggests that a lot more born-agains believe pre-marital sex is okay... in fact more think its okay than not in 2009. Unlike 1969, which was the opposite.

...I don't know where you get the 87% from. I think you're misreading the chart completely.

whirlingmerc

According to this article https://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_dira.htm , divorce is much more frequent among conservative Christians than among many other demographics, including atheists and agnostics.

But of course, it's no surprise. The moronic "no sex until marriage" concept only leads to inevitable failure. If you're going to make a lifelong commitment to someone, it is logical to know everything about them prior to making the commitment, including moving in together and engaging in sex. It is certainly

irrational to make a commitment prior to engaging in sexual intercourse and cohabitation for a prolonged period of time. I speak from personal experience. Many evangelicals I know myself were married several times. Telling a young person to wait until marriage for sex will inevitably lead them to get married so that they can have sex, and more than likely, to marry the first person they find attractive. Thus, it's no surprise. Christian marriages will continue to predictably and logically fail, while we atheists and agnostics will continue to have sustainable marriages. A sustainable marriage is based upon a sustainable connection that has already been tested through years of cohabitation and sexual intercourse. It blows my mind that anyone would sign a legally binding contract to another person without first testing for compatibility for many years prior to making the commitment.

moronic?

I think a breakdown on what you mean by conservative would be interesting.

whirlingmerc

Never stopped me.
Although I’ve only managed to marry once.

Only married once here as well.... only been married 31 years

The answer or part of it might be to council people not to rush into marriage.
But... need to see the breakdown of the data... Christians are redeemed and a work in progress not perfect

Skwim

Veteran Member
I think the chart suggests that a lot more born-agains believe pre-marital sex is okay... in fact more think its okay than not in 2009. Unlike 1969, which was the opposite.
Yes indeedy, in the 40 years between 1969 and 2009 more born-agains have come around to seeing that premarital sex is not wrong, dropping 53% (68% down to 32%) which is darn good, but at 32% in 2009 it still lags significantly behind the 60% of non-Christians.

...I don't know where you get the 87% from. I think you're misreading the chart completely.
The 87% is derived by computing the difference between the two 2009 figures. 60% (non-Christians) is 28 percentage points (pp) higher than the born-again Christian percentage of 32%. Dividing the 28 pp by the 32pp one gets an increase of 87% (Increase 32 by 87% (27) and you get 60---rounded up a bit).