• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

a most horrible event

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Here's another truth.
Young black men is far and away the most violent demographic in the USA. 5X more likely to commit violence and murder than the second most violent demographic, young white men. 60X more likely than white women over 50.
Tom

Okay, could you break that down based on economics. How likely is a person in given income bracket or child of a family in a income bracket to be violent?
What I would like to know, is, how does that compare for income bracket X?

Or could you show a genetic study, that genetically young black men are more violent?

The way I see, it is can't just be, because their color is black. Unless you have a study, that shows that is actually that they have black skin, which causes them to be more violent?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Okay, could you break that down based on economics. How likely is a person in given income bracket or child of a family in a income bracket to be violent?

Or could you show a genetic study, that genetically young black men are more violent?

The way I see, it is can't just be, because their color is black. Unless you have a study, that shows that is actually that they have black skin, which causes them to be more violent?
Honestly, Mikkel, if you're going to ignore what I post and then ask me to produce yet more statistical data then I'm uninclined to respond to you at all.

I never suggested that criminal violence has anything to do with genetics. I don't think it does. It's cultural. And I did say that.
Tom

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Honestly, Mikkel, if you're going to ignore what I post and then ask me to produce yet more statistical data then I'm uninclined to respond to you at all.

I never suggested that criminal violence has anything to do with genetics. I don't think it does. It's cultural. And I did say that.
Tom

Sorry for the part of race.

Now for something else. Not, cultural, but psychological as tied to economics. That was my first part.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Sorry for the part of race.

Now for something else. Not, cultural, but psychological as tied to economics. That was my first part.
But you ignored and deleted what I actually posted and changed the subject to economics and genetics. Feel free to post about those aspects of the problem if you want. But if you ignore what I did post and then expect me to research your issues then I'm not inclined to bother.
Tom

esmith

Veteran Member

Here is some interesting data that may show, and I repeat may, shed some light on why the poster said that young black men are 5 times more apt to commit violence. Now I'm not say that is right all I am doing is presenting the facts from: Children in single-parent families by race | KIDS COUNT Data Center

Children in single parent family by race in the U.S. I'm using the 2018 data
American Indian Number 348,000 53%
Asian and Pacific Islander Number 547,000 15%
Black or African-American Number 6,166,000 65%
Hispanic or Latino Number 7,301,000 41%
Non-Hispanic White Number 8,526,000 24%
Two or more races Number 1,944,000 35%

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
But you ignored and deleted what I actually posted and changed the subject to economics and genetics. Feel free to post about those aspects of the problem if you want. But if you ignore what I did post and then expect me to research your issues then I'm not inclined to bother.
Tom

Yes, it could be culture or economics and psychology. You have an explanation. I am asking you to check if other explanations are possible.
I apologize for the part of about race.
And yes, I ignored the rest of your post. Why? Because statics are not that simple. There are the truth, falsehood and statics.

Here is a classic - there was once made a survey and it turned up churchgoers had a higher death rate than the average population. It is a warning tale to simply trust a given statics. How by the way was there a higher death rate? The average churchgoer has a higher average age than the population as such.

You can't just claim it is culture. You have to check if it is culture or something else.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Here is some interesting data that may show, and I repeat may, shed some light on why the poster said that young black men are 5 times more apt to commit violence. Now I'm not say that is right all I am doing is presenting the facts from: Children in single-parent families by race | KIDS COUNT Data Center

Children in single parent family by race in the U.S. I'm using the 2018 data
American Indian Number 348,000 53%
Asian and Pacific Islander Number 547,000 15%
Black or African-American Number 6,166,000 65%
Hispanic or Latino Number 7,301,000 41%
Non-Hispanic White Number 8,526,000 24%
Two or more races Number 1,944,000 35%

Yes, that could be a part of it. Now cross check with economics and we might get a better idea.

Here is why I am skeptical. The same kind of studies have been done in Denmark and the Nordic countries. If you adjust for income the numbers even out. Further our immigrants for the so called high crime cultures have lower rate of divorce and single parent.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Ya, let's have it that everyone has a gun to make us safer-- NRA. :emojconfused:

dumb

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Yeah, Chicago. Nothing to see here....
Yeah, actually there is.

Chicago has tried very hard to reduce violence. But, unfortunately for Chicago city officials, Chicago overlaps with my own home state of Indiana.

Here in Indiana, we have quite lax gun laws. Almost anybody can get a gun. So, criminals in Chicago just head a few miles down I80-94 to Gary and buy guns, then go back to Chicago to do business.

I think we need federal gun restrictions, not leave it to the states.
Tom

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Yeah, actually there is.

Chicago has tried very hard to reduce violence. But, unfortunately for Chicago city officials, Chicago overlaps with my own home state of Indiana.

Here in Indiana, we have quite lax gun laws. Almost anybody can get a gun. So, criminals in Chicago just head a few miles down I80-94 to Gary and buy guns, then go back to Chicago to do business.

I think we need federal gun restrictions, not leave it to the states.
Tom

You do realize that Chicago is one of the most gun restrictive cities in the US? This is telling in that cities with few, or any, gun restrictive laws have no where near the problem with gun violence as Chicago, So any talk of further restrictions is just ducking your head in the sand.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
You do realize that Chicago is one of the most gun restrictive cities in the US? This is telling in that cities with few, or any, gun restrictive laws have no where near the problem with gun violence as Chicago, So any talk of further restrictions is just ducking your head in the sand.
You do realize that Chicago overlaps Indiana, one of the least restricted gun states?

You managed to avoid mentioning that part of my post, so I'm questioning your reading comprehension skills.
Tom

BSM1

What? Me worry?
You do realize that Chicago overlaps Indiana, one of the least restricted gun states?

You managed to avoid mentioning that part of my post, so I'm questioning your reading comprehension skills.
Tom

How many shootings with casualties did you have in that part of Indiana over the Fourth?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
for whatever reason....
I am sitting here grieving the loss of a child I do not know

I have grown old with everyday news of killings
some of which boggle the mind how maniacal and cold
and I usually just nod my head to agreed consensus.....It's bad

but the radio report struck a nerve

I don't know why
I dearly wish that more people were feeling what you are feeling now. Every such killing in Canada still makes the front pages -- first because we care (I know, everybody cares), but second because it's not happening every quarter of an hour.

Keep caring -- it's the only way.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
P.s.
It would be nice if I could tell when you're done with a post. Responding to a post while you're editing it is a bit irritating.
@Revoltingest
Tom
Don't be intolerant.
We obsessive compulsive types have needs.
At least they don't issue infraction points for continual editing.....yet.
Get used to it bub.
Or I'll topple your statue, & install one I like.
great-deer-statues-along.jpg

esmith

Veteran Member

Tom
You do realize that Indiana firearm laws have little or no impact on the gun problem in Chicago. I have attempted to set the record straight on this but unfortunately no one has paid any attention.
If any of you would like to explain exactly why you think other States laws have any bearing on Chicago's problem I would be more than willing to debunk most of your reasons.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
You do realize that Indiana firearm laws have little or no impact on the gun problem in Chicago.
You and I have had this discussion before.

But I know better. My family is from "The Region" and lots of my family now live in Chicago.
You can keep saying that you know better than we do. But I not only don't believe that, I believe that you've got partisan reasons for believing what you do.
Tom