• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you date a fat chick?

Ðanisty

Would you be attracted to guys who looked like Chris Farley or John Goodman?

I have would have had no problem with guys who are a bit chubby....but my idea of fat is really large like the two I just mentioned.
Sure, I could be attracted to them. In fact, I have dated fat guys too. I've even dated a hairy guy which I think is much less attractive than a fat guy anyway. :cover: I don't think that weight is the only thing (or even the most important thing) that determines attractiveness.

Of course I heartily agree. However, there has to be some sort of physical attraction for a relationship to last because as the years go by the sexual chemistry definitely diminishes some. Love might become stronger but body familiarity breeds lackluster desire of sorts.
I've been with my husband for 10 years (married for 8) and I don't feel that our sexual chemistry has diminished in the least bit. I would say it's even stronger now. Body familiarity hasn't felt lackluster at all. In fact, I rather enjoy that familiarity.

I would argue that anorexics care too much about their body, or at least, how their body is perceived; That's just the problem.
Yeah, I agree...they're obsessed with their body image.

As for the overweight, you're not taking into account people who are heavy because of genetics, or *gasp* fat people who might actually like their bodies. If I'm a size 24, I exercise and I think I look beautiful, can you honestly say that I don't care about my body?
*nod* There are a lot of overweight people who are entirely comfortable about their size and *gasp* there are people who find their bodies incredibly sexy.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Ðanisty;892590 said:
I've been with my husband for 10 years (married for 8) and I don't feel that our sexual chemistry has diminished in the least bit. I would say it's even stronger now. Body familiarity hasn't felt lackluster at all.
Then you are a rare couple. I know of virtually no one who says their chemistry is still as hot as in the beginning. Sure it's still good but not the I'm-gonna-devour-you eagerness like at first.
In fact, I rather enjoy that familiarity.
I definitely agree here....erases inhibitions and opens the door for lots of experimenting.

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
This might sound a little mean and shallow but I'm going to ask some questions that make a sweeping generalization and see what comes of it. Are fat chicks even interested in what other people think about their appearance? Do they even like men or care about getting a date? Or are they so disgusted with men and the whole paradigm of what is attractive and what is not that they just throw their hands in the air and say to hell with it all? I'm not blaming anyone. I know there are natural causes for obesity and how difficult it is to loose weight. I need to loose about fifty pounds myself. I don't think we can blame men either. I mean, can you change the type of body you are attracted to? Perhaps you might be able to get to know someone and fall in love and later become attracted, but that will happen despite their looks, not because of it. Initial attraction, as well as our weight, are still determined by many factors that are outside of what we imagine to be our free will.

Ðanisty

This might sound a little mean and shallow but I'm going to ask some questions that make a sweeping generalization and see what comes of it.
Good thing you warned us...lol.

Are fat chicks even interested in what other people think about their appearance? Do they even like men or care about getting a date? Or are they so disgusted with men and the whole paradigm of what is attractive and what is not that they just throw their hands in the air and say to hell with it all?
Yes, we care. Yes we like men. Yes, we're very interested in getting a date. Yes, we are disgusted with the paradigm. That doesn't mean we're disgusted with men though. It's the nasty competitiveness with other chicks that usually makes us through our hands in the air and say to hell with it. Really, I think the truth is that fat chicks would be in better shape if there was more support overall and I don't mean that superficial support that's so popular. I've known guys who probably would have dated me if some of my thinner "friends" hadn't jumped all over them as soon as they found out I was interested. Do you know how many women out there are friends with fat chicks just so they feel better about themselves and improve their own chances? Let me just say it's a disgustingly high number. :sarcastic

I'm not blaming anyone. I know there are natural causes for obesity and how difficult it is to loose weight. I need to loose about fifty pounds myself. I don't think we can blame men either. I mean, can you change the type of body you are attracted to? Perhaps you might be able to get to know someone and fall in love and later become attracted, but that will happen despite their looks, not because of it. Initial attraction, as well as our weight, are still determined by many factors that are outside of what we imagine to be our free will.
There are a lot of factors to be sure. You can't deny though that being treated as sub-human leads obese people to fall further into depression, leading to even more weight gain. Is it so much to ask that we're treated like people? I really don't care if people like me or not, but I do expected to be treated fairly.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I agree, "fat chicks" do care about themselves. Sometimes they struggle to lose weight with exercise. A lot fat people don't even overeat (although some do). Sometimes women gain extra weight with pregnancy. Sometimes, when one has depression, they gain weight because they are ill (depression is a physical illness in addition to a mental one, cause by a chemical imbalance). If someone is not attracted to fat people, they have that right, but don't say that people who are big are big just because they don't care about their appearance, that isn't at all true.

VanCrackin

The Freshmaker
Ah.
Would I date a fat chick? Most of the time, no. I know that sounds incredibly shallow. Perhaps its because of the length I try to stay in shape, and how that effort I put forth (in my mind) should be matched. Or maybe its because at my age, kids have boundless amounts of energy and so obesity should not be a problem to many. That being said, I have dated a chubby girl before, I was actually extremely attracted to her. We broke up for unrelated reasons.

My current girlfriend and I have been together for over a year now. Actually 14 months yesterday. I know it's not much, but we are young so I find it as an accomplishment. (Yes. That us in my display picture, on our first date.) She's about 5'4 and 120 pounds. To me, that's the perfect weight. I myself am 5'8 and a solid 160.
And even though I am insanely physically attracted to her, its nothing compared to how emotionally attracted I am. So even though I wouldn't date a fat chick at first, if my future wife put on a few pounds, I know I would still find her as cute as hell. Love just does that.

Personality>Looks.

I just need that initial spark of attraction, I suppose. However I know many guys out there that don't need that initial spark to give a girl the chance.

Blindinglight

Disciple of Chaos
As for the overweight, you're not taking into account people who are heavy because of genetics, or *gasp* fat people who might actually like their bodies. If I'm a size 24, I exercise and I think I look beautiful, can you honestly say that I don't care about my body?
The size means nothing to me. I couldn't tell you anything about it.
I should have been more specificif, as I was overgeneralising. Yes, fat people can also care about there bodies.
Sorry, I had a few specific people going through my mind when I wrote that.

Ðanisty

Or maybe its because at my age, kids have boundless amounts of energy and so obesity should not be a problem to many.
What is this supposed to mean? Seriously, if it wasn't a problem, why are there fat kids? I don't see what energy has to do with it. I've always had plenty of energy. I hate to break this to you, but...fat people aren't all lazy.

Nanda

Polyanna
Are fat chicks even interested in what other people think about their appearance?

Many are, some are not. I'm not, but I confess that it would be nice if more people were accepting anyway.

Do they even like men or care about getting a date?

The straight ones do. Why wouldn't they?

Or are they so disgusted with men and the whole paradigm of what is attractive and what is not that they just throw their hands in the air and say to hell with it all?

Oh, please. I've never had trouble getting a date. And yet my skinny friends are all still single... Hm. In my experience, "average" women are just as disgusted with the paradigm as anyone else - probably because no matter how skinny they are, they've still been programmed to focus on their flaws.

I don't think we can blame men either. I mean, can you change the type of body you are attracted to?

I don't blame men. People are attracted to who they're attracted to, and seriously, that's fine. Like Danisty said, all I ask is to be treated like any other girl.

Perhaps you might be able to get to know someone and fall in love and later become attracted, but that will happen despite their looks, not because of it. Initial attraction, as well as our weight, are still determined by many factors that are outside of what we imagine to be our free will.

Yes, all this is true. But I think you're underestimating just how many men find fat women very, very sexy. ;)

Nanda

Polyanna
Or maybe its because at my age, kids have boundless amounts of energy and so obesity should not be a problem to many.

Heh. I was an incredibly active 17 year-old. I biked at least 14 miles every day. But I was never any smaller than a size 18, and I weighed 180lbs, standing at 5' 2". Some people are just big.

Nanda

Polyanna
Yes, all this is true. But I think you're underestimating just how many men find fat women very, very sexy. ;)

Actually, I think I need to bring this point up again seperately. There's been a lot of talk in this thread about initial attraction vs coming to be attracted to someone in spite of what they look like. While that's all well and good, I kind of resent the fact that people seem to think that sort of thing is necessary for a fat chick to get a date. I have to say I've never been in a situation where someone had to learn to be attracted to me because they were in love with my personality; all the guys (and girls) who have dated me were very attracted to my body. They liked the extra cushion, so to speak. ;)

jonny

I agree, "fat chicks" do care about themselves. Sometimes they struggle to lose weight with exercise. A lot fat people don't even overeat (although some do). Sometimes women gain extra weight with pregnancy. Sometimes, when one has depression, they gain weight because they are ill (depression is a physical illness in addition to a mental one, cause by a chemical imbalance). If someone is not attracted to fat people, they have that right, but don't say that people who are big are big just because they don't care about their appearance, that isn't at all true.

I'm probably really strange because of this, but nothing makes me happier than to see someone who is overweight out exercising. It really makes me smile every time I see it. I love it when people take control of their lives.

Did anyone see the recent study that shows that you are more likely to be fat if you hang around fat people? I thought that was interesting. I don't remember the reasoning it gave, but I'd assume it's because you tend to embrace the lifestyle of those who you are around. A lot of people are overweight because they have a lifestyle that causes them to be overweight.

I live in one of the most health-obsessed places in the country. The Princeton Review called BYU the Fittest College Campus in the country. Everyone I know has a membership at Gold's Gym or 24-hour Fitness. When I drive to work in the morning, I pass at least 50 people jogging (I'm serious). It has led to Provo having very few overweight people.

People need to eat a healthy diet and get a good amount of exercise. That's the key to a healthy lifestyle.

Hope

Princesinha
"Would you date a fat chick?"

Nope. But that's because I'm straight, not because they're fat.:p

Seriously, though, every time I see a good-lookin', height/weight proportionate guy with an overweight girl I just think it's the most beautiful thing. I always think to myself, You go, girl!!

While I myself have never been overweight, my youngest sister is, and it hurts me to see how she perceives herself, that she thinks she is unattractive to men, when in reality she is gorgeous. She's got a beautiful face, long, dark, naturally curly hair, long black eyelashes (the kind that don't need mascara!)....she's a buxom babe! And she even had a little hottie show interest in her a while back. I remember her telling me she didn't understand why he liked her, because she saw herself as being ugly.

I think a lot of it has to do with the girl's personality and how confident she is in herself. I have another sister who is a little overweight, but she's still beautiful, and she's very, very confident in herself. And she gets tons of guys. I think my youngest sister doesn't get as many guys, not because she's heavy, but because of her lack of confidence and acceptance of herself. I think a lot of guys would be more attracted to a very confident, overweight girl, than one who is skinny and not confident in herself.

Input from some guys on this?

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Nanda not Nonda said:
Many are, some are not. I'm not, but I confess that it would be nice if more people were accepting anyway.
I would like to go on record as saying I am very accepting of overweight people. muah! :)

wolfgirl said:
Actually, I think I need to bring this point up again seperately. There's been a lot of talk in this thread about initial attraction vs coming to be attracted to someone in spite of what they look like. While that's all well and good, I kind of resent the fact that people seem to think that sort of thing is necessary for a fat chick to get a date. I have to say I've never been in a situation where someone had to learn to be attracted to me because they were in love with my personality; all the guys (and girls) who have dated me were very attracted to my body. They liked the extra cushion, so to speak. ;)
Maybe people felt the freedom to say that because you mentioned you weren't attracted to your husband at first because of his weight. :shrug:

Draka

Wonder Woman
I don't know if anyone here has seen this year's "America's Got Talent", but there is a singing group of plus-sized women on there called the Glamazons. Piers (judge) outright said at their audition that he happens to have a "thing" for plus-sized women and thought that if they performed half as good as they looked then the audience would be in for an amazing treat. So, obviously, some men are very attracted to larger women and it doesn't really have anything to do with falling in love with personality first.

That said, it is a personal issue of what you are attracted to. I really don't think that anyone should be made to feel guilty if they say that they aren't attracted to varying sizes of people. Some people are attracted to dark skin people, some to light, some like muscular builds, some like lean, some like plump. While, yes, if someone falls in love with someone then the physical attraction may grow, the lack of physical attraction may well prevent someone from even pursuing whatever feeling they may have for a person.

For myself, would I date a fat guy? I think it has to do with degrees. Honestly, if a guy is a bit plump like I am about now, then sure I would. I have. But if we are talking extremely obese, then that is different. I just don't see myself going out on a date with a guy that weighs around 300lbs or more. The attraction wouldn't even be there enough for me to approach him in the first place, let alone land a date with him. Just not my cup of tea. I also don't go for the extremely skinny guys too. Boney is just not something I personally find attractive. Other women might like that in a guy, I don't.

Though one more thing I would like to add here. Fat guys should NOT be wearing "No Fat Chicks" shirts! :p