• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

women priests in christianity?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Go figure. Women can't be priests its confused that's a male term for petes sake. Priestess fine priest bad grammar..

The word priest is neither male nor female.
You must be brainwashed.

The word priest refers to both men and women
While priestess is exclusively female
There is no exclusively male word meaning priest.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
why people nowadays try to make females act male and males female?
I'm not aware of that occurring. I'm a man and I value my masculinity, I just don't view behavior as having a gender. If you think that God is active, then all of our souls would passive since His love is what acts in our souls for our salvation.

syo

I'm not aware of that occurring. I'm a man and I value my masculinity, I just don't view behavior as having a gender. If you think that God is active, then all of our souls would passive since His love is what acts in our souls for our salvation.
god is active male, the creation is passive female.

Sanzbir

the bible stories tell truths in a myth manner. they have elements of truth. whatever.

So a lot of posters are losing sight of the original point here. Regardless of if it is literal or not:

Genesis 1:27: "So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them."

Scripture says "in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them." not "in the image of God he created him; male he created him."

Scripture says regardless of who was made first, both are in his image.

lostwanderingsoul

And one reason

One reason God created male and female was so they could have differebt roles in society and the church. God made them different but man tries to find ways to say they are not different.

Ponder This

some christian denominations allow women priests. why? on what ground?

As I understand it, the word "priestess" was coined in the 17th century to refer to female priests of pre-Christian antiquity.

The word priest has always been used to refer to male or female. So it seems that if female priests are disallowed in Christianity, then a clear reason ought to be given. I don't think we should rely solely on interpretations from the 17th century.

David T

Premium Member
The word priest is neither male nor female.
You must be brainwashed.

The word priest refers to both men and women
While priestess is exclusively female
There is no exclusively male word meaning priest.
Well there ya go no reason for them to not be priests!!! Although it is interesting that the founder of Christianity was a female!!!! Seems like a Confused religion on that point.

QuestioningMind

the orthodox denomination is called apostolic. the orthodox priests continue the work of the apostles and the apostles continue the work of jesus, who was male. so priests are males only, because jesus was male. and the church is female. that's how it is.

Just because that's the way it is does NOT mean that's the way it should be.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
jesus is god. god is male. priests are representatives of god. again i repeat jesus is male god.

Jesus isn't God in the texts. - He is claiming to be the HUMAN Messiah from the line of David, sent from God.

A patriarchal society choosing to use male terms for Deity, - does not make that Deity male.

Did you even read # 11 with it's information about women in the early church?

Read this article about the Priscilla catacombs. The site which appears to show women officiating at a Eucharist meal. It shows a woman preaching - wearing a fringed prayer shawl. Note the seated people around her. The church which helped destroy this site is claiming - "ain't so!"

The site was purposefully damaged - HUMMMMM - I wonder why? LOL!

The secrets of the Santa Priscilla catacombs

The second article - address below - is very interesting.

"A group of Catholics say people will certainly know more after taking the Google catacomb tour: They say the catacombs hold evidence of ancient women priests.

"We are delighted that the Vatican has restored these frescoes of women priests celebrating Eucharist in the Catacomb of St. Priscilla's in Rome," Bridget Mary Meehan, a bishop ordained through the Association of Roman Catholic Women Priests, wrote in a blog post Wednesday."

Women priests 'delighted' by Google, Vatican catacombs tour

1 Cor 16:19 The churches of Asia send you greetings. Aquila and Prisca, together with the church in their house, send you hearty greetings in the Lord.

Luk 2:36 And there was one Anna, a prophetess, the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Aser: she was of a great age, and had lived with an husband seven years from her virginity;

Luk 2:37 And she was a widow of about fourscore and four years, which departed not from the temple, but served God with fastings and prayers night and day.

Luk 2:38 And she coming in that instant gave thanks likewise unto the Lord, and spake of him to all them that looked for redemption in Jerusalem.

HUMMMmmm! She "departed NOT from the Jerusalem TEMPLE" AND "SHE spoke about Jesus to ALL whom looked for redemption in Jerusalem!

GEE WIZ Boys and Girls! Sounds like a FEMALE PREACHER and PROPHETESS preaching from temple!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And let us not forget the female pastor, and the female apostle!

Rom 16:1 I commend unto you Phebe our sister, who is Diakonos/Pastor of the church which is at Cenchrea: (note no men mentioned, - SHE IS the DIAKONOS/Pastor)

Rom 16:2 That ye receive her in the Lord, as becometh saints, and that ye assist her in whatsoever business she hath need of you: for she hath been a succourer of many, and of myself also.

In case you were wondering - The 1568 Bishop's Bible calls her a Minister, as does the Vulgate.

Rom 16:7
Salute Andronicus and Junia, my kinsfolk and my fellow prisoners, whichsame are of note among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me.

So, it says they had female preachers and apostles.

Act 9:36 Now there was at Joppa a certain disciple named Tabitha, which by interpretation is called Dorcas: this woman was full of good works and almsdeeds which she did.

Act 9:37 And it came to pass in those days, that she was sick, and died: whom when they had washed, they laid her in an upper chamber.

Act 9:38 And forasmuch as Lydda was nigh to Joppa, and the disciples had heard that Peter was there, they sent unto him two men, desiring him that he would not delay to come to them.

Jeremiah Ames

Why nuns and not priests??

If your logic is because priests continue the work of Jesus who was male, therefore all priests should be male, why not monks/nuns too??

The first known Christian to practice monastic living was Paul the Hermit, who was male. So if priests must be male because they are following in the footsteps of Jesus who was male, shouldn't monks also be required to be male because they are following in the footsteps of Paul who was male??

I don't seem to understand your logic here... what makes a monk a different case??

Because the logic is faulty.

The OT mentioned numerous women leaders and prophets.
Also, Jesus had numerous women in his circle of disciples.
Jesus chose the 12 apostles as men because they would be sent into a hostile world for their work in starting the church. Men were more suited for the task. The fact that something did not happen, does not mean it should never happen. Jesus did not use a cell phone, so should we assume he is against us using them?

Paul’s limited writing regarding this matter was made to a world dominated by men (not much different than the society’s of Muslim nations like Saudi Arabia and Iran), and therefore his writings reflected the world he lived in. He needed to build a church in a difficult and different world. His words had to be measured to fit the times, or his task would surely fail. The final word on matters that are open to debate should be Jesus. Since He said nothing prohibiting women pastors, then that should be the final word.
Jesus did not come to implement a myriad of laws. There were too many of those already. This would include his silence on homosexuals as well, IMO.
The only people against women pastors are those individuals who wish to press their narrow views on the world.
Taking one or two verses from the Bible without understanding the context of the times or audience, is the way to impose the desires of a few men above those of God.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Gal 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Luke 12:12 The Holy Spirit will tell you at that very moment what you must say.”

John 8:28 Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things.

Mainly because it isn't the gender that does the work, does the calling or causes God to move. It is faith, calling and gifts where God is working through regardless of gender

The one thing that most denominations of Christendom miss is the fact that there were no priests officiating in the first century church. The priesthood promised to Christ's disciples was not on earth and the ones chosen for that role could only hold that position in heaven. All reference to that priesthood were future. (Revelation 20:6) Elders were not priests on earth.

The scripture in Galatians 2:28 that you quoted is a reference to the men and women who were chosen to be priests in heaven by God's Holy Spirit......once they attain to spirit life in heaven, they cease to be humans and so lose their nationality and status, as well as their gender. All are then one in Jesus Christ.

Reference to males in the Bible having all the roles that carry responsibility are a reflection of the gender roles that God assigned in Eden. He created the woman as a "complement" of the man....a helper to assist him in his role. The man was created first and the woman was created for the sake of the man.

In the first century, women played a significant part in spreading Christianity. They preached to others about God’s Kingdom and did things related to that preaching work. (Luke 8:1-3) For example, the apostle Paul called Phoebe “a minister of the congregation that is in Cenchreae.” And in sending greetings to fellow workers, Paul mentioned a number of faithful women, including “Tryphaena and Tryphosa, women who are working hard in the Lord.” He also noted “Persis our beloved one, for she performed many labors in the Lord.” (Romans 16:1, 12)

So women could be ministers, (serving others) fully occupied with the preaching work, but not as earthly priests. All teaching in the congregations were to be done by men. That is because of the headship arrangement.

Headship is mentioned throughout the Bible as God's arrangement. The Patriarchs were men and their women supported them. Women knew their assigned role and only when women assume the role of a man is there problems.

Here is the order of rank according to 1 Corinthians 11:3...."But I want you to know that the head of every man is the Christ; in turn, the head of a woman is the man; in turn, the head of the Christ is God."

So, even Jesus Christ has a head over him.

Since the role of the elders in the congregation was to admonish, correct and teach, it was inappropriate to have women telling men what to do. Women had the submissive role, so men would not be naturally submissive to a woman in God's arrangement.....

"Be obedient to those who are taking the lead among you and be submissive, for they are keeping watch over you as those who will render an account...
" (Hebrews 13:17)

This is why all spirit beings are portrayed as male....including God. It is not a slight on women, because a woman's role is of utmost importance too. The man is incomplete without her. A woman who values her God assigned role, is valued by God. (Proverbs 31:10)

Jeremiah Ames

what are you talking about? what example? priests don't follow an example. jesus isn't an example. priests are the representative of jesus on earth. a woman can't be a representative.

Syo, you really need to study the Bible more carefully.
And to that end, try erasing religion from your mind, and come at the Bible with a fresh mind, like that of a small child seeking knowledge.

Matthew 18:3 And he said: "Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

Precious words from the Savior. God bless.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
no. it's how we are born. and eve was created by adam's rib.

Doesn't actually say that.

It says Adam (first human) was male and female.

One half was split from the original to create a pair that could breed.

We also have other Jewish writings telling us this.

"In the first chapter of Genesis, the Torah chooses to refer to Adam in the plural: God created the man in His image; in the image of God He created him, male and female He created them. And God blessed them. (Genesis 1:27-28)

Why "them"? This was before the creation of Eve!

The Jewish Oral Tradition provides us with a fascinating insight into this grammatical oddity. The first human, it tells us, was really an androgynous being, both male and female in one body, sophisticated and self-sufficient.

But if God had created such a complete human being, why the later separation into two parts, into Adam and Eve? As God is the source of everything, self-sufficiency would be a spiritual defeat. The answer given is that God did not want this first human creation to be alone, for it would then possess an illusion of self-sufficiency. Note that there is no word for "independence" in classical Hebrew. (What we use now, atzma'ut, is of modern vintage.) The concept of independence doesn't exist in Jewish tradition. Aside from God, nothing and no one is really independent. Since we are supposed to ingrain into ourselves that God is the source of everything, self-sufficiency would have been a spiritual defeat. God wanted to fashion the human being into two separate people in order to create a healthy situation of dependence, yearning, and mutual giving. Human beings are not meant to be alone because then they would have no one to give to, no one to grow with, and nothing to strive for. To actualize oneself spiritually, a human being cannot be alone...." Adam masculine and feminine?

"Adam was initially created as a man and woman in a single body. Then this Adam was hewn apart, to become two separate beings.7Now one has become two. Two separate beings, each seeing the other as other. But not so that they should remain two others. Rather, so that those two others should return back together into yet greater union, face to face, with love and passion, and thereby generate life.

That is the divine image: a singularity torn apart and then pulling back together. Not a static form, but a drama; less a resolution than a sustained paradox. In miniature terms, it occurs in the marriage of two human beings. In cosmic terms, it is the drama of G‑d’s desire to fall in love, to give love, to be loved, to create life through love. And to be present in His world through love. ..." G‑d in Love - 1 + 1 = 1

"...But there is another way of understanding the word tzela, based on Midrash (Berei**** Rabbah 8:1; Vayikra Rabbah 14:1); the Gemara (Berachot 61a) and the Zohar (Berei**** 34b-35a; Shemot 55a; 231a).[9] As is known, there are two narratives detailing the creation of mankind—the first in chapter one of Berei****, the second in chapter two. In the first account, according to some commentators, it appears that the Adam was not solely a male, but was rather a being consisting of both male and female halves.[10] In chapter two, according to this explanation, this two-sided human was separated into the two genders, and it is this surgical procedure that is described in the verse.

According to the Zohar, the two top “yuds” that make up the Hebrew letter tzaddi represent this “double-faced” creature originally created by God. Sources debate whether the two beings faced the same direction or opposite directions; this argument forms the basis of the debate between Rabbi Yosef Karo and the Arizal regarding how to properly write a tzaddi.[11]
In Berei**** Rabbah (17:6), Rabbi Shmuel bar Rabbi Nachman understands tzela as “side,” and Rashi and Ibn Ezra (Berei**** 2:21) adopt this approach as well.[12] Rashi, following in the footsteps of the Midrash, supports his claim by pointing out that tzela is used in other places in Tanach to mean “side” as well (Terumah 26:20, 26-27).[13] ..."

Last edited: