• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

women priests in christianity?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I am very happy that the rector of all our local Anglican churches is a female priest.
Half of the priests serving under her are also female.
We also have female bishops now.

syo

I'm asking by what logic can't they??

You say they can't because Jesus was a man, and thus women can't be representatives of Jesus because they lack that quality in common.

So...

Jesus was Semitic. Does that mean all Gentiles cannot be priests?? If you answer no, then I ask: if gender, why not ethnicity??

Jesus was a Nazarene. Does that mean people with hometowns other than Nazareth cannot be priests?? If you answer no, then I ask: if gender, why not hometown??

What is the basis that you insist on this one particular quality of Jesus must be mirrored in his representatives, and why not the other qualities?? What scriptural or philosophical basis do you have to back this up??
jesus is god. god is male. priests are representatives of god. again i repeat jesus is male god.

Sanzbir

jesus is god. god is male. priests are representatives of god. again i repeat jesus is male god.

Okay. I get that.

But I'm asking you repeatedly why this does not apply to other aspects of Jesus, just his male qualities.

For example. If your logic is a good explanation for why women should not be priests then the following:

"jesus is god. god is Semetic. priests are representatives of god. again I repeat Jesus is a Semetic god"

should be an equally good explanation for why Gentiles should be forbidden from being priests as well, correct??

If not correct, what makes the above not work when your own argument does work??

I'm just interested in understanding what your logic here is in using Jesus's gender but not his ethnicity as a requirement for clergy.

syo

So where is your proof that his Godly side is male and not just his human side??
What use does God have for gender? Even the Angels are genderless.
god is the active force of the universe. the active force is characteristic of male in nature. god created man in god's image (adam, who is male). male is the active force, female is the passive force (eve, created after adam's rib).

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
i mean the god as orthodox doctrine describes him.

Sorry the Jews got in first and he was a pretty warlike chap then.
The Orthodox were certainly among the first christians... but even they did not write much or indeed any of the bible books.

He was seen as male because they were all patriarchal societies then.
Today we are beginning to see the error of those ways.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
god is the driving force of the universe. the driving force is characteristic of male in nature. god created man in god's image (adam, who is male). male is the active force, female is the passive force (eve, created after adam's rib).

You tell that to my Grand daugher. She terrorises her fellow law students at university. They are just putty.

She phoned one of them at 3 in the morning, because she had to walk home from the town centre to her flat on her own.
He got up, and ran all the way to the coffee house to walk with her.