• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

women priests in christianity?

syo

You tell that to my Grand daugher. She terrorises her fellow law students at university. They are just putty.

She phoned one of them at 3 in the morning, because she had to walk home from the town centre to her flat on her own.
He got up, and ran all the way to the coffee house to walk with her.
all humans have a bit of the opposite side. half dna from both parents :) we all have an active side male, and a passive side female.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
god is the active force of the universe. the active force is characteristic of male in nature. god created man in god's image (adam, who is male). male is the active force, female is the passive force (eve, created after adam's rib).
Actually, both Adam and Eve were created in the image of God (Genesis 1:27). The image of God has nothing to do with gender. The masculine being active and the feminine being passive is archaic sexism. It's incorrect. The Bible doesn't say that, either. God is described as male in the Bible and in Church tradition to illustrate His relationship to humanity in terms humans would understand, culturally. It doesn't necessarily speak to an ontological truth. God approaches humans on terms we can understand and the Israelites were a patriarchal culture. That God is described as a bridegroom and the Church/Israel as bride really points to the deep intimacy and relation of God towards humanity, not towards statements of gender, which is beside the point.

If you really want to take the active/passive symbolism that far, then all souls that God has created are female as they respond to the active maleness of God. That means that men have female souls, making them have no more right to be priests than women. (Also opens the door for some interesting homosexual imagery.)

Last edited:

Sanzbir

god is the active force of the universe. the active force is characteristic of male in nature... male is the active force, female is the passive force (eve, created after adam's rib).

In Chinese philosophy, sure, but seldom in Christianity. :p I mean in the story of Eden Eve is the one who is the primary actor (whose actions gets them booted from paradise), whereas without her the two would have remained passively in Eden.

God is the Alpha and Omega, though. The First and the Last. The Active and the Passive. God transcends seeming opposites and that's why his title is "Alpha and Omega", he encompasses the all, Lord of not just the Active but the Passive as well.

god created man in god's image (adam, who is male).

Eh, if that's where you are coming from I guess I can see the logic behind your ideas.

I see specific faults in that line of logic, though, as Genesis 1:27 reads "So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them." which explicitly states that both in his image he created them, both male and female. Not he, solely Adam, but them both Adam and Eve created in God's own image. That is what Scripture says on the matter. ;)

But if you don't abide by what the Scripture says and think only Adam was created in God's image, I can definitely see why you think God is male. I don't agree because, well, I see no Scriptural evidence for that claim, only evidence against it, but I can see why you'd think it.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
no. it's how we are born. and eve was created by adam's rib.
And the female isn't passive in reproduction, either, as science is finding out that the egg isn't some passive princess in a tower that the crusading sperm race after but actively acts as a gatekeeper. Stop acting like religious imagery is necessarily correlated to reality. It isn't. Women are not secondary to men in God's creation and females are not literally taken from men's ribs (I hope you don't literally believe that!).

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
different god. the orthodox don't translate the ot the same way as judaism.

So you think God changed at some point in Jesus life to be a different God.
He was a Jew all his life. As were the first christians.
It was the people who changed not God.

Scott C.

Just one guy
some christian denominations allow women priests. why? on what ground?

Many Christians, myself included, believe that the Bible specifies that only men are ordained to the priesthood. In the LDS Church, women can serve, lead, teach, preach, pray, and support in any manner in the church, except for those positions that specifically require priesthood ordination. I know it's not popular in these days where gender roles are perceived negatively by many, but I believe this is as God intends.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
no i don't. female represents the church, jesus is the groom, priests are representative of jesus.
Priests are part of the Church, too. Are not women called to be Christlike or does that only pertain to those with with penises and Y chromosomes?

syo

And the female isn't passive in reproduction, either, as science is finding out that the egg isn't some passive princess in a tower that the crusading sperm race after but actively acts as a gatekeeper. Stop acting like religious imagery is necessarily correlated to reality. It isn't. Women are not secondary to men in God's creation and females are not literally taken from men's ribs (I hope you don't literally believe that!).
secondary? where did i write that? about the rib? isn't it true? i mean doesn't the bible say eve was created by a rib? i don't literally believe that. lol

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
no i don't. female represents the church, jesus is the groom, priests are representative of jesus.

The early church did not have priests they only had bishops to follow in the Apostolic succession. .. later came deacons and priests to help the bishops. Such authority as they have, comes with the authority of the bishops, not Jesus.

David T

Premium Member
some christian denominations allow women priests. why? on what ground?
Go figure. Women can't be priests its confused that's a male term for petes sake. Priestess fine priest bad grammar..

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
secondary? where did i write that? about the rib? isn't it true?
The Genesis creation story isn't actual history. Adam and Eve were not literal people. They're metaphors for the whole of humanity created to make a point in a story. It's like how Job was not a real person but created to make a point in a poem about the meaning of suffering (sorry, antitheists, but you can't use Job in your criticisms because he didn't exist).

syo

The Genesis creation story isn't actual history. Adam and Eve were not literal people. They're metaphors for the whole of humanity created to make a point in a story. It's like how Job was not a real person but created to make a point in a poem about the meaning of suffering (sorry, antitheists, but you can't use Job in your criticisms because he didn't exist).
Not many biblical myths are factual. And no it is not true.
the bible stories tell truths in a myth manner. they have elements of truth. whatever.