1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Why Religion?

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by Willamena, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Marcion

Marcion Tantra-Yoga Universalist

Ratings:
    +544
    Religion:
    Manava (human) Dharma, no religion, but Neo-Humanism
    If you think everthing is classified by beliefs only, then you would be right. But spirituality is about much more than beliefs.

2. shunyadragon

shunyadragon Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,380
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    My objection is the artificial distinction and not whether everything is beliefs, and I have not concluded that 'everything is beliefs only.'

3. metis

metis aged ecumenical anthropologist

Ratings:
    +12,479
    Religion:
    Catholic-- liberal & ecumenical
    Religion is learned, not instinctive.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thief

Thief Rogue Theologian

Ratings:
    +3,417
    i like that

5. shunyadragon

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,380
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    I consider 'religion' neither. Religion si simply what people believe, not believe or could care less, whether organized, disorganized, sanforized, digitized, mortified, or what ever.

6. atanu

atanu Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,774
    Religion:
    Hindu Sanatana Dharma
    It is said that Vedas are of no use to one who is one with God. Similarly, religion is useless for the ignorant. Religion is for people like me who vacillate.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. BSM1

BSM1 Who's a good boy?

Ratings:
    +7,784
    Religion:
    Buddhistic Panenthetic Jesusonian

Uhhh...by definition you have agreed to the terms of the group, even if de facto. Usually meet at a given place and time, and there is certain decorum that is followed, even if it's unspoken. If you have an epiphany that doesn't reflect the group mentality, you may be ostracized. You are allowing your will to be shaped and defined in most cases by the group.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. BSM1

BSM1 Who's a good boy?

Ratings:
    +7,784
    Religion:
    Good example. Maybe not a long-term fellowship, but a fellowship all the same....

9. Quintessence

Quintessence Tale Weaver
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12,679
    Religion:
    Druidry

Not inherently, no. Maybe in some religions. This certainly isn't the case for mine. Speaking of which...

Because merely "believing in" one's gods is armchair theism and of little to no value. The way of life that is religion is all-encompassing, providing mythos (story) and ritual (action) that articulate values in a way that usually connects you with a broader community.

Then again, I really don't know what people mean by "personal relationship." Makes no sense to add the word "personal" in front of that considering all relationships you as an individual have with something else are personal. :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Tumah

Tumah Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +7,415
    Religion:
    Mega-Super-Ultra-Orthodox Judaism
    For three months when I was working in a different city, I regularly joined a group for services. The group was comprised of people of various backgrounds and levels of religiosity and observance. We spoke not at all and I have no idea what their positions are about anything other than coming to the afternoon services on a daily basis, which I only assume they were agreeable to, because they were actually there. Except for one who I actually worked with, I did not see any of them outside those 20 minutes. Was there a group mentality there any greater than a group of people watching a concert?

11. 80s fashion girl

Ratings:
    +65
    Religion:
    none
    Religion is a man made venture and a big money maker, controls people, and keeps them in the baby stage. I should add that Western Christianity is what I'm familiar with in this regard.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. BilliardsBall

BilliardsBall Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +636
    Religion:
    Messianic Jewish Christianity
    Which God? What is God's name? Has this God told you how to pray to them to see healings/miracles? Does joining a religion increase your God power and access since you are in community with others? Does it help for marriage and children, so that the family is on the same God page?

The real question: Which religion offers the highest logic, most proof?

13. BSM1

BSM1 Who's a good boy?

Ratings:
    +7,784
    Religion:
    Why couldn't you have attended by yourself with no one else there? And why that particular time and place? Why did you even need a group to experience your faith and devotion? Do you believe God would think less of you if you did not join in any group setting?

14. Tumah

Tumah Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +7,415
    Religion:
    Mega-Super-Ultra-Orthodox Judaism
    If there was no one available, I would have. Would you prefer a concert where there's no one else in the room?

15. BSM1

BSM1 Who's a good boy?

Ratings:
    +7,784
    Religion:
    Absolutely!. I don't need the interaction of others to enjoy and/or experience myself.

16. Marcion

Marcion Tantra-Yoga Universalist

Ratings:
    +544
    Religion:
    Manava (human) Dharma, no religion, but Neo-Humanism
    How are the distinctions made 'artificial'? I think they make perfect sense.
    Perhaps some of them could have been more explicit, but the general contrast works well and reflects real differences between spiritual cults and religions.
    There will of course be hybrid paths, it's more of a spectrum.

17. shunyadragon

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,380
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    To you , ah . . . maybe, but to the many diverse conflicting religious beliefs and human perspectives no. I have met Jews, JWs, Muslims, and others that deny their belief is religion, but of course, describe what others believe is religion.

The distinction is how humans for their own comfort define what they believe as opposed to what others believe.

You just confirmed what I posted.

• Like Like x 1
  18. LuisDantas

LuisDantas Aura of atheification
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +14,653
    Religion:
    Advocate of letting go of theism. Buddhist with an emphasis on personal understanding.
    To an extent, you are answering your own question.

Religion has many purposes. And although many of them use god-belief as a pretext or an ice-breaker, very few of them have much to actually do with that belief.

For the most part, religion is about telling things to other people for various purposes.

• Like Like x 1
  19. David T

David T Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,809
    Yes advanced isnt correct.

20. loverofhumanity

loverofhumanity Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,889
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    I’m just a tiny ant, a drop in the ocean.