• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is your religion the true religion?

Smoke

Done here.
I don't believe Roman Catholicism was founded by Jesus Christ, which is why I don't believe Roman Catholicism is the one true religion. On the other hand, if I were to have to choose between being a Catholic and being a Protestant, I'd choose to be a Catholic in a minute.
I'm the opposite. Seeing Catholicism and Protestantism as two aspects of the same thing, I'd choose the version that didn't require fealty to Rome.

linwood

My religion is the one, true, religion because
it was founded by Jesus Christ, God and man.

Jesus was a Jew, he didn`t found Catholicism.

When he spoke of Peter as the rock his church would be built upon I don`t think he even came close to envisioning Catholicism.

I don`t know how he could have.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Jesus was a Jew, he didn`t found Catholicism.

When he spoke of Peter as the rock his church would be built upon I don`t think he even came close to envisioning Catholicism.

I don`t know how he could have.

The verse says "holy catholic church," but it must be remembered that the meaning of the word "catholic" means "universal."

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Why are your beliefs (whatever they are) correct and everyone else's wrong? Note: I am agnostic (there could be gods but I have not met any).
My beliefs have the fundamental tendency to remind myself that im an explorer, and I don't take things for granted, especially not our beliefs of the universe, reality, and life.
I'm a secular person, with an interest in naturalism and pantheism, with atheistic leanings in these philosophies (or rather philosophy). I am highly interested in world religions, I read their scriptures, visit holy sites of different religions, including the ancient ones. in this regard, when you allow yourself to more conscious of a bigger cultural picture, its nearly impossible to paint a single religion as an exclusive trumpet for truth. the cognitive and religious history of humanity is ancient, and the religions we know, are a landmark in this cognitive development. as we know them today, they will be adapted in the future into phenomena which is socially and philosophically different.

My beliefs include the realization, that we are an organism, inhabiting a single planet, of what seems to be an infinite universe, we have no full scientific solutions for our condition, let alone holding absolute spiritual truths.

Last edited:

linwood

The verse says "holy catholic church," but it must be remembered that the meaning of the word "catholic" means "universal."

It should also be remembered that the church which carries that name consistently fails miserably to, live up to it`s definition .

phuti

Aspiring Saint
Wouldn't that include atheists, too?

I guess so. I don't believe in atheists. There's but one God who made the universe and the people in the world, believer or unbeliever, theists or atheists. Some say they're atheists because they refuse to be subjected to ideas religious institutions normally subject people to. But whether they believe there's God or not, it doesn't change the fact that it is by the same God and by his appointment that they still have life, for He is not only God of the christians, but of all.

That's why they wrote that "A fool has said in his heart, there is no God."

It is foolish to say so, because, whether u believe or u dont, He is. He is the one who takes care of the affairs of man. Some are evil but are sustained; but who knows if God has reserved them that when their destruction soon fall upon them, some may see it and fear God?

Therefore, as one wrote in the Book that, "There is a way, which leads to life, that even if a fool goes by it, would not get lost."

Now which way is that? except the way of Love? For Christ is the ultimate demonstration of the love of God.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
My religions is the true reason because:

It includes everyone.
The Divine story is romantic; total chick-lit material.
It's all about LOVE, love, love (George Harrison tune).
God ISN'T insecure or egotistical. Weird, huh?
Originated in India, most awesome country ever.
Because I chose it. That makes it true :D
The Beatles also chose it.

BruceDLimber

Greetings!

Why are your beliefs (whatever they are) correct and everyone else's wrong?

You clearly presume too much!

I'm a Baha'i, and our scriptures state explicitly that the other great religions are also legitimate and of God!

So "everyone else's" religion clearly isn't wrong!

Indeed, our scriptures also state that only a tiny minority of religions directly created through "human perversion" are so. And I put it to you that those are obvious: certain recent notorious cults like the groups intentionally spreading diseases and drinking cyanide-laced kool-aid come to mind.

Peace,

Bruce

Greetings!

You clearly presume too much!

I'm a Baha'i, and our scriptures state explicitly that the other great religions are also legitimate and of God!

So "everyone else's" religion clearly isn't wrong!

Indeed, our scriptures also state that only a tiny minority of religions directly created through "human perversion" are so. And I put it to you that those are obvious: certain recent notorious cults like the groups intentionally spreading diseases and drinking cyanide-laced kool-aid come to mind.

Peace,

Bruce

Which religions are the other great religions exactly?

Mr Cheese

So far, based on what I've read, there's one spiritual path, with many different languages that we call religions.

The spiritual path I've chosen (I hope) will work for me, but it may not work for others.

what is that one path?
Does it involve Gnomes?

Mr Cheese

My beliefs have the fundamental tendency to remind myself that im an explorer, and I don't take things for granted, especially not our beliefs of the universe, reality, and life.
I'm a secular person, with an interest in naturalism and pantheism, with atheistic leanings in these philosophies (or rather philosophy). I am highly interested in world religions, I read their scriptures, visit holy sites of different religions, including the ancient ones. in this regard, when you allow yourself to more conscious of a bigger cultural picture, its nearly impossible to paint a single religion as an exclusive trumpet for truth. the cognitive and religious history of humanity is ancient, and the religions we know, are a landmark in this cognitive development. as we know them today, they will be adapted in the future into phenomena which is socially and philosophically different.

My beliefs include the realization, that we are an organism, inhabiting a single planet, of what seems to be an infinite universe, we have no full scientific solutions for our condition, let alone holding absolute spiritual truths.

do you carry a towel?

Kerr

I guess so. I don't believe in atheists. There's but one God who made the universe and the people in the world, believer or unbeliever, theists or atheists. Some say they're atheists because they refuse to be subjected to ideas religious institutions normally subject people to. But whether they believe there's God or not, it doesn't change the fact that it is by the same God and by his appointment that they still have life, for He is not only God of the christians, but of all.

That's why they wrote that "A fool has said in his heart, there is no God."

It is foolish to say so, because, whether u believe or u dont, He is. He is the one who takes care of the affairs of man. Some are evil but are sustained; but who knows if God has reserved them that when their destruction soon fall upon them, some may see it and fear God?

Therefore, as one wrote in the Book that, "There is a way, which leads to life, that even if a fool goes by it, would not get lost."

Now which way is that? except the way of Love? For Christ is the ultimate demonstration of the love of God.
The existence of God is irrelevant to the term atheist (or theist for that matter). They both deal with belief, and not knowing the truth. So I can assure you, we atheists does exist and only a fool would think we are fools :p.

Gino Cerutti

Italian
[FONT=&quot]A teacher of mine told us that a emperor wanted that his subjects knew his image; so he ordered that a statue which represented him went round the empire. In the course of the tour the statue broke. The lazy messengers of the emperor, instead of rebuilding the statue, sent an arm in a city, the nose in another city and so on. Every citizenry had so a different idea of the emperor. Every idea was different from the other ones, but every idea had elements of truth.
The relationship between God and the different religions could be similar to that one between emperor and the different citizenries.
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]With regards[/FONT]

Last edited:

Gino Cerutti

Italian
[FONT=&quot]Simone Weil wrote in “Letter to a priest”: “We can know a religion only if we live that religion”. (the translation is mine... I’m sorry for my English).[/FONT]

Just_me_Mike

Your question may need adjusting for me. Religion is naming or solidifying a system of beliefs.
Seeing that each and everyone on the RF and on the planet in general changes their views slightly and greatly at times, renders ALL religion faulty. Which we can know that no one religion is the correct one.

However, if you were to ask why is your sacred texts or particular rhetoric that makes you believe what you believe number one, I would then have to answer because it makes the most sense to my life's experience.