• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why i'm against sex before marriage

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
I have nothing against polygamous marriage because it do not harm anyone .
It harms whole societies and leads to social breakdown.
Stress, quarrels and neglect: the 'normal' polygamous family
Why Polygamy Is Bad for National Security
The impact of polygamy on women's mental health: a systematic review
HARMS OF POLYGYNY - Polygyny and Canada's Obligations under International Human Rights Law

Anyway, I can find a bunch of articles and studies saying much the same things about it. Monogamous marriage has proven to be the best arrangement for women, children, their families and society as a whole.
The puzzle of monogamous marriage

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
And gay marriage?
I'm not against it. But i'm not for it either. But i believe also gays should marry and not have sex outside marriage. So that all follow the same moral rules.

I'm not sure what i think about it. Its difficult. But i know gay marriage do not harm anyone. It is only love between adults with the same gender

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Language is an artificial construct. It isn't natural. Communication through vocalization is natural, but that's not the same as language.
It is artificial, but it's also natural. No culture has ever been found that didn't have language.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It harms whole societies and leads to social breakdown.
Stress, quarrels and neglect: the 'normal' polygamous family
Why Polygamy Is Bad for National Security
The impact of polygamy on women's mental health: a systematic review
HARMS OF POLYGYNY - Polygyny and Canada's Obligations under International Human Rights Law

Anyway, I can find a bunch of articles and studies saying much the same things about it. Monogamous marriage has proven to be the best arrangement for women, children, their families and society as a whole.
The puzzle of monogamous marriage
Polygamous marriage is a practical features in societies where the male:female ratio is unequal.
How would you deal with such a situation?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It is artificial, but it's also natural. No culture has ever been found that didn't have language.
To me the urge to build complex communication is natural, but language, syntaxes, grammar, etc are artificial. Like the desire to build complex tools vs the tools themselves.
Or, as @Father Heathen said in another post, a pizza, of which there are variations globally.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I have nothing against polygamous marriage because it do not harm anyone . I have nothing against arranged marriage either, but i'm very against forced marriages because that is harmful
Polygamy is harmful when equal sex ratio societies haven't developed the institutions to deal with with the unmarried members.
There are fundamentalist LDS enclaves in the American West where polygyny is practiced, and they are forces to deal with the extraneous males by ostracizing them -- driving them out to make their way in a society they're culturally unprepared to deal with.

This is harm.

Starlight

So, I must assume you're not a Christian. Because Christianity forbids sex before marriage. That should be sufficient. :p Anyway...
But maybe (most likely) God is against sex before marriage because of what i wrote in this tread. So the reason God is against sex before marriage is because of his wisdom

firedragon

Veteran Member
Sounds to me like a better strategy is to promote birth control.

Remember that people inside marriages may not want to have children as well.

if you want to reduce the number of abortions, promote sex education and the use of effective birth control.

Wow. What logic. Those who are married, and dont want to have children is the example and standard for the dismissal of child pregnancy and abortion problem and idea presented in the OP??

Very good. Congratulations.

firedragon

Veteran Member
That's very stupid for a simple reason. If everybody follows your advice, people will marry sooner and will be even less likely to get contraception and there will be just as much or even more abortions. There will also be much more divorces. Your method has been tried and has failed numerous times in numerous circumstances in the past and present.

I am interested in reading this data. Can you please provide?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
To me the urge to build complex communication is natural, but language, syntaxes, grammar, etc are artificial. Like the desire to build complex tools vs the tools themselves.
Or, as @Father Heathen said in another post, a pizza, of which there are variations globally.
I agree. Language is artificial, but natural?
All cultures have language, and Chomsky did postuate an innate Universal Grammar,hough it's controversal. Does universality constitute 'natural'?
Universal grammar - Wikipedia

So: artificial? -- yes. Natural? -- somewhat controversal. I'd say yes.

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Maybe they should stop aborting females.
Abortion is not common in polygamous societies. I think you're thinking of Hindu India.
Aborting females is a problem in parts of India, where males contribute to the family while females are seen as expenses. This has cultural causes.

America, though, is an equal opportunity aborter!:)

Maybe it should become the norm to gift every daughter a IUD on her 16th birthday. :D

Last edited:

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I'm against sex before marriage because when people have sex with different boyfriends/girlfriends without marriage (and often people begin with sex in their teenage years) then it is high risk of becoming pregnant and many women and teenage girls choose abortion.

You're assuming people do use contraceptives (condoms, birth control, etc). Also, do you have statistical evidence to show women and teenage girls are more likely to get abortions?

But if people is virgin to they are adult and get married (to the person they want to have a family with/or the person they want to spend the rest of their life with) then the abortions numbers will be much fewer! Then the abortion numbers will go down!

Abstinence is also another method you've forgotten.

So the best solution to get much fewer abortions is that people do not have sex outside marriage!

No offense but this is kind of a weak argument for supporting no sex before marriage. I would've been more concerned with sexually transmitted infections and the lack of using protection as a better argument than using abortion. Especially if you're having multiple sexual partners.

I believe abortion is murder (except if a child or woman has been raped, or the woman have a illness so she is in risk of dying in child birth).

Oh boy you've opened up a can of worms there.

And even if you do not believe abortion is murder, you do agree i hope that it is best to try get the abortion numbers to get fewer?

Because of this i believe that to not have sex before marriage is the most moral.

What do you think about this? Any thoughts?

Sorry, I think this is a poor argument for not having sex before marriage. Your argument assumes people aren't responsible and if that is the case I would like to know why people aren't responsible. You also mentioned that abortion is murder. That is an entirely different discussion that has been discussed here ad nauseum.

Starlight

This....... @Meandflower here lies the problem with your argument. You openly admit abortion is murder but you're willing to commit murder in the instance of rape. How do you reconcile your problem?
Sometimes we have to choose the opinion who is the lesser evil.

Yes abortion is bad and murder.

But is it morally right to force a rape victim with trauma and mental problems because of the rape to going trough pregnancy?

In my opinion is that to force a rape victim with trauma to going trough the pregnancy bad and not morally good.
Then we have to choose. What is most bad of those two opinions?

In cases like that people have to choose what they believe is the lesser evil

Me personally, if i was a rape victim i would never take abortion. I would never take abortion no matter what.

But other people have different opinions. And choose and think different

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Meandflower said:
I believe abortion is murder (except if a child or woman has been raped, or the woman have a illness so she is in risk of dying in child birth).
But isn't abortion a crime against the child/fœtus? Isn't a child of rape as pure and blameless as a child of marriage?
Why would you kill an innocent 'child', just because it was the product of rape?

If it's to assuage the mother's mental or social health, isn't that the same reasoning the 'pro-abortion' people use?