• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why i'm against sex before marriage

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Because you want to be married but don't want children... or you already have more children that you can afford.
Or aren't healthy enough for pregnancy and childbirth but wealth enough for sterilization. You'd be amazed how many sterilization requests are refused for women of childbearing age on the grounds that they may change their mind.

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
Making a strong physical drive a crime just invites social chaos. Even outlawing something popular, like alcohol, has had negative social effects.
A alternative solution (and maybe better solution)
than to make sex outside marriage illigal is to learn to children and teenangers in school the value of the human life. And to teach teenagers that abortion is wrong because it is to kill a innocent baby. And to kill human life is wrong. And that God is against abortion, because of that. And to learn to teenagers that because of this the most moral is to wait with sex to after marriage.

So the teenagers and young adults can have sex before marriage if they want (and get Birthcontroll) but that the school and society tell them that the best and most moral decition is to wait with sex to after marriage. And that the school and society learn teenagers that abortion is a bad and morally wrong (in most cases). But that the teenagers and young adults is allowed to do the opposite, but that they is strongly warned against it

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
With rape the rapist is the murderer
That logic doesn't fly. If the argument against abortion is that a fetus is the life of a sacred and innocent human soul, is it made less valuable and deserving because it was a product of rape? What if a baby is killed by the mother or doctor after it was born, is the rapist still the murderer rather than the aforementioned?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
@ADigitalArtist marriage is natural because romance, love, and honor are all natural in humans, and honor combined with lust and love, means we ought to get married, there is no other solution. Without marriage, honor of humans and in society is ruined and we reach disgraceful states as a people and as individuals.
That's like saying pizza is natural just because its ingredients are, and that we would all starve to death without it, as if no alternative existed.

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
What are your thoughts on polygamous marriages? Arranged or forced marriages? Those are also as old as human culture.
I have nothing against polygamous marriage because it do not harm anyone . I have nothing against arranged marriage either, but i'm very against forced marriages because that is harmful

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Sure. But that's not what the OP means when they're talking about marriage. And I'm sure if you asked them, a marriage without a pledge towards sexual exclusivity isn't a marriage at all by their estimation. And to me all forms of legalism are artificial by definition. Doesn't mean the reasoning behind their use isn't natural though. Same with taxes, communal resources and tithing is pretty ubiquitous with human civilization but I wouldn't call it natural. Ditto clothing.
Consider a militaristic society, where the men are away from home most of the time. The women pretty much manage things in the villages.
Sex with whomever is agreeable is the norm when the men return to the villages. There are no bonding ceremonies or cohabitation.
Pregnancy is accepted and seen as legitimate when a man acknowledges that he might be the father, otherwise it's suspected that the woman slept with an outsider.

OK. Who is married to whom, in Nayar society?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I have nothing against polygamous marriage because it do not harm anyone . I have nothing against arranged marriage either, but i'm very against forced marriages because that is harmful
What about people who are committed to their relationships but don't want to go through the legal framework of marriage? You'd be harming them by delegtimizing their relationships unless they get married.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Consider a militaristic society, where the men are away from home most of the time. The women pretty much manage things in the villages.
Sex with whomever is agreeable is the norm when the men return to the villages. There are no bonding ceremonies or cohabitation.
Pregnancy is accepted and seen as legitimate when a man acknowledges that he might be the father, otherwise it's suspected that the woman slept with an outsider.

OK. Who is married to whom, in Nayar society?
I don't know. Would they even describe it as marriage if you explained the word to them?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
@ADigitalArtist marriage is natural because romance, love, and honor are all natural in humans, and honor combined with lust and love, means we ought to get married, there is no other solution. Without marriage, honor of humans and in society is ruined and we reach disgraceful states as a people and as individuals.
They are not natural. They are not found in all societies, and what constitutes 'honor' varies widely.
You're speaking from the perspective of your own, western culture, and extrapolating it to a universal.

Last edited: