• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why i'm against sex before marriage

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
Marriage to me is just a piece of paper, and often an expensive and unnecessary one at that. Better strategy is promoting healthy communication, sex education and contraceptive use.

Just a reminder that 'abstinence only' states have the highest rates of teen pregnancies.

Sex is natural, marriage isn't.
Marriage is natural. Humans have had marriage laws in tousands of years.

Starlight

People are going have to sex before marage, it has been like that since the dawn of time.
If sex before marriage become illigal and you risk punishment if you go against the law then more Will wait with sex to after marriage.

And if teenagers and young adults learn in school why it is most moral to wait with sex to after marriage then more people wait with sex to after marriage.

But this is my opinion

Last edited:

Alex22

If sex before marriage become illigal and you risk punishment if you go against the law then more Will wait with sex to after marriage.

And if teenagers and young adults learn why it is most moral to wait with sex to after marriage then more people wait with sex to after marriage (And the reason of why this is most moral is because if people wait with sex to after marriage then the abortions numbers will be fewer)

But this is my opinion

Sounds like puritanism, you want a Theocracy or something?

Last edited:

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Abstinence is only a solution for those who want it, but it fails when those people try to apply it to everyone else. It's best for folks to have thorough education so they can make the best decisions regarding their lives. Knowing what birth control can and cannot do goes a long way in helping to prevent unwanted pregnancies - far more than trying to enforce abstinence.

Sex is an important aspect of adulthood. When folks have sex, the mystery of the opposite sex dissipates, and a deeper understanding of people in general developes. The more understanding that flourishes, the more healthy of a relationship someone can build in the future. Those who wait to have sex are at a disadvantage, IMO.

Starlight

Abstinence is only a solution for those who want it, but it fails when those people try to apply it to everyone else. It's best for folks to have thorough education so they can make the best decisions regarding their lives. Knowing what birth control can and cannot do goes a long way in helping to prevent unwanted pregnancies - far more than trying to enforce abstinence.

Sex is an important aspect of adulthood. When folks have sex, the mystery of the opposite sex dissipates, and a deeper understanding of people in general developes. The more understanding that flourishes, the more healthy of a relationship someone can build in the future. Those who wait to have sex are at a disadvantage, IMO.
Teenagers should learn in school and by the rest of society why it is most moral to wait with sex to after marriage

(Most moral because if people wait with sex to after marriage then the abortion numbers will get fewer/go down)

This is my opinion

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member

And if teenagers and young adults learn in school why it is most moral to wait with sex to after marriage then more people wait with sex to after marriage.

But this is my opinion
Ha! You clearly don’t know how teenagers work. Sorry, but that has never stopped anyone in the history of humanity. Ever. Sex outside of marriage was illegal for a long time. And people still had sex outside of marriage regardless. Ask anyone old enough to remember such laws
And kids will often just get married to have sex, or have sex anyway. The natural order of things is for teens to be rebellious. They won’t care about punishment.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Adultery should become illigal. It destroys families, hurt peoples mental health and result in more abortions
Adultery is also outlawed in the Baha'i Faith. We take these things seriously.

“The Bahá'í Faith recognizes the value of the sex impulse, but condemns its illegitimate and improper expressions such as free love, companionate marriage and others, all of which it considers positively harmful to man and to the society in which he lives. The proper use of the sex instinct is the natural right of every individual, and it is precisely for this very purpose that the institution of marriage has been established. The Bahá'ís do not believe in the suppression of the sex impulse but in its regulation and control.'

In response to another letter enquiring if there were any legitimate way in which a person could express the sex instinct if, for some reason, he were unable to marry or if outer circumstances such as economic factors were to cause him to delay marriage, the Guardian's secretary wrote on his behalf:

'Concerning your question whether there are any legitimate forms of expression of the sex instinct outside of marriage: According to the Bahá'í Teachings no sexual act can be considered lawful unless performed between lawfully married persons. Outside of marital life there can be no lawful or healthy use of the sex impulse…….

In another letter on the Guardian's behalf, also to an individual believer, the secretary writes:

'Amongst the many other evils afflicting society in this spiritual low water mark in history is the question of immorality, and over-emphasis of sex...'

This indicates how the whole matter of sex and the problems related to it have assumed far too great an importance in the thinking of present-day society.

Lights of Guidance (second part): A Bahá'í Reference File, pp. 364-365

Jeremiah Ames

I'm against sex before marriage because when people have sex with different boyfriends/girlfriends without marriage (and often people begin with sex in their teenage years) then it is high risk of becoming pregnant and many women and teenage girls choose abortion.

But if people is virgin to they are adult and get married (to the person they want to have a family with/or the person they want to spend the rest of their life with) then the abortions numbers will be much fewer! Then the abortion numbers will go down!

So the best solution to get much fewer abortions is that people do not have sex outside marriage!

I believe abortion is murder (except if a child or woman has been raped, or the woman have a illness so she is in risk of dying in child birth).

And even if you do not believe abortion is murder, you do agree i hope that it is best to try get the abortion numbers to get fewer?

Because of this i believe that to not have sex before marriage is the most moral.

What do you think about this? Any thoughts?

from a spiritual sense, I have to wonder if abortion may have a good purpose

but I don’t have the answers

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Salam

There is a problem in making something illegal without cultural foundation. We saw this with prohibition of alcohol and we see this with prohibition of drugs. It happens anyways if people don't realize why it's wrong.

The way I understand, is humans are sacred and require honor. Honor is required in everything we deal with and it's part of our interaction in all our relationships whether friendship or family, etc, it's why people choose to be trustworthy and not lie, but if the foundations of honor go away from humans, they lie, deceive, and this results in chaos, war and prostitution becomes rampant in a culture where honor is not high in people and this results in human trafficking, etc, and we can't even stop human trafficking in this century because the honor in society is not high but at low disgraceful state and where people are apathetic to it.

God gave us sexual parts and gave us sense of shame over them, and so how we go about this, we should do it honorably, and sacrifice as little as possible of our honor when going about to fulfill our sexual desires. God out of his wisdom, so we don't throw away our honor, has commanded to marriage and in some cases allows another form where oaths give us sexual authority and that is Muta, but god wants children raised honorably as well and Muta is a last resort for certain people only. He has warned society not to let their desires rule them, or they will lose their sense of honor and wisdom, and will live a life where they ignore their duty towards God and his chosen ones, and justice to other human beings.

Honor is highly important, without it, evil rulers deceive us, falsehood gains equality to truth, deception as much as guidance, and good and evil equated. It's by honor that people can cleanse themselves from Satanic control, and it's by honor we can ascend to God through faith in him.

Magical Wand

I'm against sex before marriage because when people have sex with different boyfriends/girlfriends without marriage (and often people begin with sex in their teenage years) then it is high risk of becoming pregnant and many women and teenage girls choose abortion.

But if people is virgin to they are adult and get married (to the person they want to have a family with/or the person they want to spend the rest of their life with) then the abortions numbers will be much fewer! Then the abortion numbers will go down!

So the best solution to get much fewer abortions is that people do not have sex outside marriage!

I believe abortion is murder (except if a child or woman has been raped, or the woman have a illness so she is in risk of dying in child birth).

And even if you do not believe abortion is murder, you do agree i hope that it is best to try get the abortion numbers to get fewer?

Because of this i believe that to not have sex before marriage is the most moral.

What do you think about this? Any thoughts?

But is that the only reason why you're against sex before marriage? o_O

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
It's totally unreasonable to legislate people's sex lives. The human propensity to experiment with sex is strong. Cookie cutter legislation would only harm people.

I hate to see the married family be denigrated though. Marriage is a true love commitment, and not a forced agreement just to have sex.

Society should be honoring marriage and family. It's tragic that it don't.

Not all people are going to be the marrying kind and so be it. People of today seem to want to have sex wherever, and whenever with whoever. They are not capable of marriage and monogamy. This is tragic.

Having a family, and being married is the healthiest way to go. But I'm against boxing people into a way of life that defeats the purpose of marriage.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Teenagers should learn in school and by the rest of society why it is most moral to wait with sex to after marriage

(Most moral because if people wait with sex to after marriage then the abortion numbers will get fewer/go down)

This is my opinion
Students should learn in school all about sex ans sexuality. It should be discussed openly in social settings, at home, at the dinner table -- everywhere. Nudity should be a commonplace; on TV, in the park, at school, at the beach, and, hence, unremarkable and non sexual.

This is not my opinion. This is the reality in more open countries. Premarital pregnancy and abortion rates are much lower than in the US.