• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does God want humans to worship him?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
One of the most fundamental questions many of us in private and open have asked and I, myself have asked as well. Why does a deity who created the universe want simple life forms to worship him. My personal answer is I don't know. But if I can create an educated guess, I believe the nature of human psychological evolution is that servitude to something greater is inherent. Humans are social creatures who have developed systems where we've become subservient to leadership from a macro and micro level. In times of crisis most of us unaware in how to deal with tragedy seek leadership or someone that knows something. When we work our 9 to 5 we follow a leader such as a manager or director. Like ants, I believe humans have an inherent sense of social skills where we follow someone who we believe has greater knowledge. Assuming God is real I firmly believe the psychological evolution of humans is that humanity is meant to follow "something" whether you call it God, Allah, Tuhan, something greater than ourselves much like the tribal relationships we have.

What are your thoughts?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Perhaps our purpose is to become free - as in free of such hierarchical structures - and religions are generally in opposition to this. Which is one of the reasons for my antipathy towards them. We may have trusted in a leader in small groups - quite likely if the leader showed qualities that benefitted the group better than any other - but the system appears to have been so abused as populations increased that we often got the opposite. That is, it tended to benefit those in charge rather than the majority. Hence I don't tend towards the view that worship of anyone or anything has much benefit for humans.

Erebus

This is one of those issues that nature worship makes pretty simple. Nature probably doesn't care either way. Worship in my view is the response one has to something truly awe-inspiring.

Even if there is an omnipotent creator god, it would strike me as very odd for such a being to want worship. Why would an omnipotent being need validation? Ego? I find that a pretty terrifying thought to be honest.

Road Less Traveled

One of the most fundamental questions many of us in private and open have asked and I, myself have asked as well. Why does a deity who created the universe want simple life forms to worship him. My personal answer is I don't know. But if I can create an educated guess, I believe the nature of human psychological evolution is that servitude to something greater is inherent. Humans are social creatures who have developed systems where we've become subservient to leadership from a macro and micro level. In times of crisis most of us unaware in how to deal with tragedy seek leadership or someone that knows something. When we work our 9 to 5 we follow a leader such as a manager or director. Like ants, I believe humans have an inherent sense of social skills where we follow someone who we believe has greater knowledge. Assuming God is real I firmly believe the psychological evolution of humans is that humanity is meant to follow "something" whether you call it God, Allah, Tuhan, something greater than ourselves much like the tribal relationships we have.

What are your thoughts?

Perhaps there is an entity(s) that want or even need inferiors to worship it. And that it designed humans with traits to always be subservient to it.

I personally just look inside my own developed morale and compass, and with that... if I were God, I would never want or need anything to worship me. I’d much rather have beings cut off the umbilical cord and become their own good responsible, autonomous, free beings and be able to lead themselves. I wouldn’t want anyone being dependent upon me.

Many have concluded or at least by what you’ve mentioned in that there is or likely is something greater or more powerful than ourselves due to that innate inherency. Then it becomes what the intentions are of the greater power. Whether forcing or coercion through fear and and array of other things to get inferiors to be subservient or whether wanting to assist others in breaking free from subservience.

Road Less Traveled

Even if there is an omnipotent creator god, it would strike me as very odd for such a being to want worship. Why would an omnipotent being need validation? Ego? I find that a pretty terrifying thought to be honest.

Imagine that. Creator God(s) being maligned and the survival of them dependent on inferior praise, worship, fear, etc. Everyone that it created is property to it, and can do whatever it wanted to it’s property. To its slaves.

usfan

Define, 'worship'. What does that mean? Why would you think God wants it?

Humans worship many things.. knowledge, money, power, others.. what makes you think God wants that?

PureX

Veteran Member
One of the most fundamental questions many of us in private and open have asked and I, myself have asked as well. Why does a deity who created the universe want simple life forms to worship him.

What are your thoughts?
Or to state it more accurately; why do we humans imagine that a God that is, has, and knows everything, would want our worship? And I think the answer to that question is that we humans need to imagine that we have some way of gaining God's favor, and some way of explaining the apparent lack of it.

Road Less Traveled

It doesn’t. Many humans merely feel the need to appeal to a higher power.

I just think of what that could potentially mean, at least in terms of where my moral compass is it.

Either all of the time and energy spent is worshipping and praising something that does not exist, or the time and energy spent is worshipping and praising something at least partially maligned.

leov

One of the most fundamental questions many of us in private and open have asked and I, myself have asked as well. Why does a deity who created the universe want simple life forms to worship him. My personal answer is I don't know. But if I can create an educated guess, I believe the nature of human psychological evolution is that servitude to something greater is inherent. Humans are social creatures who have developed systems where we've become subservient to leadership from a macro and micro level. In times of crisis most of us unaware in how to deal with tragedy seek leadership or someone that knows something. When we work our 9 to 5 we follow a leader such as a manager or director. Like ants, I believe humans have an inherent sense of social skills where we follow someone who we believe has greater knowledge. Assuming God is real I firmly believe the psychological evolution of humans is that humanity is meant to follow "something" whether you call it God, Allah, Tuhan, something greater than ourselves much like the tribal relationships erect have.

What are your thoughts?
God does not really want worship. Humanity is in constant movement of consciousness, up and down. Some are still bicameral. God wants certain level of positive consciousness, God gave us set of rules that assuredly moves humanity to respect each other, in order for people to follow the rules they need to respect the Giver of Rules otherwise they tend to ignore the Rules.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

What are your thoughts?

I believe 'want' is an anthropomorphic view of the relationship between God, and humanity. Creation, Revelation, and dependent on how one defines worship. The relationship with humanity through prayer are one continuum. What humans call 'worship in many cases is motivated by human desire expressed within a cultural view of God, and not necessarily what.represents the desired relationship is,

For example: In the Baha'i Faith 'work and life itself is worship.' One way to describe this relations is for humanity to Love and Know the attributes of God.

wellwisher

Humans have two centers of consciousness. The primary center or inner self is the original center connected to natural human instinct and human nature. This center is common to all animals as well as humans. The secondary center, common to only humans, is called the ego. The ego evolved much later, about the time of early civilization. These two centers are the centers of the unconscious and conscious minds, respectively.

Worship of God allows more access to the primary center, which is unconscious in most people. Most people are not aware it exists. The inner self is the tree of life and is cut off from most people. Worship places the ego or secondary center, in the proper place, in terms of neural hierarchy, so there is more access and cooperation from the inner self.

The major religions, by leaning to create the proper relationship with the inner self; worship, have each found paths for natural human living.

Back in the day, developing character was important. This allows more access to the inner self. In modern times, being an ego character; mask, is more important. The mask is more geared toward an ego trying to act like it is the primary. This is not possible, since it has limited access to the main frame parts of the brain. The ego can use about 10% maximum.

The ego is more artificial/temporal and cultural, and is the basis for all the bizarre choices the left calls the new normal. The inner self is natural and limits its choices to what is natural. Religions, by orientating the ego, so it has more access to the inner self; worship, better understand the natural choices of the inner self, and have set up rules for the ego of those who lack the necessary faith.

One way to look at the ego and the inner self is the ego is like a PC that is connected to a larger main frame computer; inner self. The PC is self standing and can, on a smaller scale, do what the main frame can do. While its connection to the main frame, or inner self, allows access to even greater computing power.

However, this access requires special access codes, which may not be available to all terminals, unless you have earned that access. Worship is part of the key chain for gaining more access, with the hope you can use the mainframe, at will, to do complex projects, anytime; inner voice of the Holy Spirit is what the Christian call this access.

Neutral Name

What are your thoughts?

To me, it is not so much that God wants us to worship him but that God wants us to connect with her. God never forces himself on anyone. We need to seek her. Worship is the act of acknowledging and seeking God.

I would think, though, that God would, also, like to see some gratitude from us. If we don't appreciate what is done for us, then we can become narcissistic. I believe that God is totally selfless. God just wants the best for all of us.

I believe that God is more concerned about us loving others than loving her but our hearts can become hardened if we don't know to open our hearts and be concerned with the positive things God has to tell us.

Cooky

Veteran Member

What are your thoughts?

Odd that this has been on my mind recently too... Because God does not make himself known directly, so it seems he doesn't need our worship. I find it strange that he would even want it, considering the way the relationship is.

Maybe prayer for others is more what God wants for us! In order to grow in the right direction.

Probably to Him and to others would be the real right direction.

Last edited by a moderator: