• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does God want humans to worship him?

Ponder This

One of the most fundamental questions many of us in private and open have asked and I, myself have asked as well. Why does a deity who created the universe want simple life forms to worship him. My personal answer is I don't know. But if I can create an educated guess, I believe the nature of human psychological evolution is that servitude to something greater is inherent. Humans are social creatures who have developed systems where we've become subservient to leadership from a macro and micro level. In times of crisis most of us unaware in how to deal with tragedy seek leadership or someone that knows something. When we work our 9 to 5 we follow a leader such as a manager or director. Like ants, I believe humans have an inherent sense of social skills where we follow someone who we believe has greater knowledge. Assuming God is real I firmly believe the psychological evolution of humans is that humanity is meant to follow "something" whether you call it God, Allah, Tuhan, something greater than ourselves much like the tribal relationships we have.

What are your thoughts?

To be honest, I've never really wondered why God would want us to worship Him.
I have sometimes wondered why God doesn't want us to worship things other than Him.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
One of the most fundamental questions many of us in private and open have asked and I, myself have asked as well. Why does a deity who created the universe want simple life forms to worship him. My personal answer is I don't know. But if I can create an educated guess, I believe the nature of human psychological evolution is that servitude to something greater is inherent. Humans are social creatures who have developed systems where we've become subservient to leadership from a macro and micro level. In times of crisis most of us unaware in how to deal with tragedy seek leadership or someone that knows something. When we work our 9 to 5 we follow a leader such as a manager or director. Like ants, I believe humans have an inherent sense of social skills where we follow someone who we believe has greater knowledge. Assuming God is real I firmly believe the psychological evolution of humans is that humanity is meant to follow "something" whether you call it God, Allah, Tuhan, something greater than ourselves much like the tribal relationships we have.

What are your thoughts?

My personal answer is that I do know.

God does not need to be worshipped, even if He existed, obviously.

But since humans made God up, and they made up that He likes to be worshipped, then it is clear why they believe God wants to be worshipped. For humans like to delegate their needs to a deus ex-machina, and to worshipping it so that it solved their problems. Human nature, I guess.

Basically in line with what you write. With the possible exception that this human need is what triggered humans to make up a God in need to be worshipped.

Ciao

- viole

David1967

Premium Member

What are your thoughts?

Very good analogy IMO.

Neutral Name

The non-religious Non-traditionalist aspect of faith is to assume that God wants us to connect with him. Well, in my personal opinion of life forms and all things immaterial and material are connected with God. I wrote on Facebook that whether we believe in God or not we are in service to him in some way

I agree.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
Why does a deity who created the universe want simple life forms to worship him. My personal answer is I don't know.

Revelations 4:11

11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

It is written in the Bible that we all were created for His pleasure, not to serve per say. Imo this means God created us to keep Him company, serving Him is a secondary by product. God created us, gave us life, provides for us, so we love and serve Him in return. Not much different than a parent who spends 20 years raising a child that child then goes on to so the same, but also when their own parents become old and frail the child becomes the servant to the parent, it's a symbiosis more than a strict master/servant relationship.

Imho

Bird123

What are your thoughts?

God does not want humans to worship Him. Religion is mankind's attempt to understand God. Mankind loves to be worshiped. They assume God is the same way in their creation of their religion.

susanblange

God created us because she was lonely, and she created Israel for her glory. God has always planned to live on earth among us. That is the purpose for the construction of the Temple. She is and will be Judge, Lawgiver, and King of the Universe. Isaiah 33:22. She is the King of Glory. Psalm 24.

74x12

What are your thoughts?
It's seeking the presence of God. It's because God is so holy and good. You see God is worthy; but He's holy which means set apart. Because the presence of God is such a precious thing; you have to be worthy to draw near to it. You yourself have to be holy also as He is. Because how can you go to the (holy)set apart place if you are not yourself becoming more set apart? So God wants to be near to us; but how can God be near to us if He is holy and righteous? When we praise God then we are showing that He is worthy and we are becoming ourselves more and more worthy of His presence and we are showing He is holy and we are ourselves are becoming holier and so we draw near to Him to where He is in the holiest place. But it's only by the blood of the Lamb. That's our access point into His presence and it's how we are so bold as to go there by praising Him.

In conclusion God loves to be with us; so He wants us to praise and honor Him.

There are other reasons also. One is because whatever we worship/venerate is what we will want to become more like. So God wants us to be more like Himself.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

What are your thoughts?

We didn't design ants, and nor do we have a hive mind, for want of a better word.
Oh, I get that we can appear followers by nature, but in truth that varies, and is not quite the same thing as an ant or bee.

Further, even supposing that we have an inherent need to follow doesn't answer why God would want us to, although scripture seems to indicate He does. It could be that understanding that is simply a step too far. But I think it remains an open question, even if I'm to assume God's existence.

I mean, for me, this is really just a thought exercise, given my lack of belief. But I am trying to approach it evenly.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Imagine that. Creator God(s) being maligned and the survival of them dependent on inferior praise, worship, fear, etc. Everyone that it created is property to it, and can do whatever it wanted to it’s property. To its slaves.

You think one in a position of power can do whatever it wants to it's 'property' morally? Or are you just suggesting that an all-powerful God is all-powerful. Kinda seems redundant.

To be clear, not judging what you said, just trying to understand the context.
(Then I'll judge...lol)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
As you know, going to church is in reality is simply participating in a collective expression of appreciation and love for God. He certainly has proven his love for us.
Prometheus showed us greater love. He gave us art, science, philosophy, and the spirit that makes us human, and he rebelled against Zeus to give us that gift and suffers eternally for it. Jesus had one lousy weekend.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
What I mean is that humans have innate sense of servitude to authority which evolved to a belief system. That means that we are in essence “believers” before we are born

That’s what I was referring to when I suggested that God is a projection of the primate alpha male.

Not only does that emerge as a belief system, it is co-opted as a control system.

It’s a wetware vulnerability.

It also works in reverse, thus The Divine Right of Kings, the Pope, the President, and even the mega rich. Evangelists and even New Agers associate ‘abundance’ with God’s approval.

gnostic

The Lost One
God does not really want worship.

If that were true, leov, then why is the Bible is filled with God's wrath upon his chosen people, for straying, like worshipping other gods?

If God don't want worship, then God shouldn't care if people worship Ra, Isis, Marduk, Ba'al, Zeus, Shiva, etc.

And in two of his Ten Commandments, they related to worshipping him and him alone, and that he would punish anyone who follow other deities. That doesn't sound like he doesn't want worship.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member

What are your thoughts?

I much enjoyed your post. I believe humans are essentially spiritual beings and unless we live spiritual lives we cannot be truly happy. Material possessions and bodily comforts do not provide inner peace or contentment. If they did we would have no need for alcohol, drugs to get high and excitements such as gambling. These maladies are, I believe, all signs of spiritual malnourishment and when we go against our own nature we bring upon us deep suffering such as wars and poverty.

God wants only for us to be happy but through our own will and volition. He requires nothing from us but like a loving parent wants the best for us.

Bahá’u’lláh, Himself a Manifestation and Representative of God explains this very beautifully in these Words...

The One true God, exalted be His glory, hath wished nothing for Himself. The allegiance of mankind profiteth Him not, neither doth its perversity harm Him. The Bird of the Realm of Utterance voiceth continually this call: ‘All things have I willed for thee, and thee, too, for thine own sake.’

Road Less Traveled

You think one in a position of power can do whatever it wants to it's 'property' morally? Or are you just suggesting that an all-powerful God is all-powerful. Kinda seems redundant.

To be clear, not judging what you said, just trying to understand the context.
(Then I'll judge...lol)

It’s imagining maligned creator(s) that want and need praise/worship, validation. Whatever it creates it is it’s property and can program it’s property however it wants. . Regardless of ethics. Wouldn’t have to be all-powerful, just powerful enough to create stuff and pass its traits down to its created. Such as humans wanting and needing praise/worship, validation because their creators would need praise/worship, validation, and even programmed it’s property to praise/worship, and validate themselves. That innate sense of servitude to authority mentioned would be that programming.

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Perhaps it is a projection, as others have noted, such that if one was to do so then any lower down the rank (the prophets, etc.) would benefit possibly equally as much as The Great One. :oops:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I once had an ant farm.
I created their universe.
The power of life and death was mine.
I never expected worship

Road Less Traveled

It’s imagining maligned creator(s) that want and need praise/worship, validation. Whatever it creates it is it’s property and can program it’s property however it wants. . Regardless of ethics. Wouldn’t have to be all-powerful, just powerful enough to create stuff and pass its traits down to its created. Such as humans wanting and needing praise/worship, validation because their creators would need praise/worship, validation, and even programmed it’s property to praise/worship, and validate themselves. That innate sense of servitude to authority mentioned would be that programming.

And if this were a projection...that since humans have the innate sense of servitude to authority, and many humans like to be praised, worshipped, and need validation themselves yet a true God does not.... then one would have to wonder where those inherited traits came from innate in humans that just keep being passed down.

leov

If that were true, leov, then why is the Bible is filled with God's wrath upon his chosen people, for straying, like worshipping other gods?

If God don't want worship, then God shouldn't care if people worship Ra, Isis, Marduk, Ba'al, Zeus, Shiva, etc.

And in two of his Ten Commandments, they related to worshipping him and him alone, and that he would punish anyone who follow other deities. That doesn't sound like he doesn't want worship.
Because that is what bicameral men are able to understand. They need constant fear to remember instructions, e.g. the Golden Calf story. Stories of wrath are there so the future generations would fear until bicameral to introspective conversion have finished, even now.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

What are your thoughts?
I agree with @SalixIncendium. it doesn't require worship to something apart from self. it is something self is capable of doing.

jesus reiterated what hosea had said:

For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings.

acknowledgement of something called god doesn't require worship. it requires a first person experience of something that self has the power to do.