• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

why abrahamic religions?

Tumah

Veteran Member
People grow up with a certain faith, and it seems logical for them.
That's why they won't go to other religions most of time.

I noticed that ex-muslims most of time turned christians, atheists/deists and few jews.
But never heard of ex-muslims being polytheists, satanists, animists or things like that.
I think it would be too different for them or illogical so it's "nothing" or an Abrahamic religion - as it's the religions around them and more closed to.

I think you've made a really good point. We grow up learning a certain framework of normalcy and it takes a lot more momentum to push past that into a religion completely alien to the ideas we grew up with.

brokensymmetry

ground state
I think you've made a really good point. We grow up learning a certain framework of normalcy and it takes a lot more momentum to push past that into a religion completely alien to the ideas we grew up with.

Yes, as a sociological explanation no doubt there is a lot of merit to this. It doesn't really speak well to the ultimate validity of any particular faith though then does it?

GoodbyeDave

I noticed that ex-muslims most of time turned christians, atheists/deists and few jews. But never heard of ex-muslims being polytheists, satanists, animists or things like that. I think it would be too different for them or illogical so it's "nothing" or an Abrahamic religion - as it's the religions around them and more closed to.
In most Muslim countries, you aren't allowed to become anything: apostasy is punishable by death. There are pagan ex-Muslims in the Near East, both Wiccans and Canaanite Reconstructionists, but they keep their beliefs very secret. What happens if they don't can be read here:
In Memory: Yana | PNC-Minnesota Bureau

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
because our religions agree on that it's starts before Ibrahim (pbuh), by Adam and Noah (pbut) .
I am not fully agree in the label of this DIR .

btw
why this forum sect (DIR) changed to semitic religions (Christianity + Judaiasm+Islam ) , instead of Abrahimic religions ?

Sees

Dragonslayer
because our religions agree on that it's starts before Ibrahim (pbuh), by Adam and Noah (pbut) .

btw
why this forum sect (DIR) changed to semitic religions (Christianity + Judaiasm+Islam ) , instead of Abrahimic religions ?

Do you think most Muslims and Christians want to see it as ethnic, cultural traditions or as universal paths? I think Abrahamic became solidified because it seemingly places less emphasis on location, culture, ethnicity.

Tumah

Veteran Member

btw

Also, Christianity is not a semitic religion.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
So what do you think the primary reason is there are so many people who follow an "Abrahamic religion" in the world?
The answer is, to some degree, historical given the expansionist character of many of the past, and predominantly Christian or Muslim, empires. And, on some level the answer is a tribute to the power of the core narratives involved.

Godobeyer

Premium Member
Also, Christianity is not a semitic religion.
that's your opinion , i explain my opinion before .

logically it is :yes: , the christianity and Islam and Judaism are semitic religions .

why ?

because Jesus (pbuh) was Jew and spoke aramaic .

(Jew is semitic race , aramaic is semitic language) .

Godobeyer

Premium Member
Do you think most Muslims and Christians want to see it as ethnic, cultural traditions or as universal paths? I think Abrahamic became solidified because it seemingly places less emphasis on location, culture, ethnicity.

so why when somenone post "video or article" which considare a "fake" Talmud by jews , called anti-semitic ?

Tumah

Veteran Member
that's your opinion , i explain my opinion before .

logically it is :yes: , the christianity and Islam and Judaism are semitic religions .

why ?

because Jesus (pbuh) was Jew and spoke aramaic .

(Jew is semitic race , aramaic is semitic language) .

I don't think that's how it works. But I hear your reason for saying so.

Sees

Dragonslayer
so why when somenone post "video or article" which considare a "fake" Talmud by jews , called anti-semitic ?

Judaism isn't the same as Christianity and Islam, the ethnic, cultural foundation/qualities are fully admitted. It's not universalist but closer to indigenous traditions.

Godobeyer

Premium Member
Judaism isn't the same as Christianity and Islam, the ethnic, cultural foundation/qualities are fully admitted. It's not universalist but closer to indigenous traditions.

the jews (followers of Judaism, what ever their ethnic origines) had always called for them selfs semitics

my point is :
because the origine of Islam and Christianity are semitics .

why not the followers of Islam and Christianity called semitics too, as the judaism ?

brokensymmetry

ground state
The answer is, to some degree, historical given the expansionist character of many of the past, and predominantly Christian or Muslim, empires. And, on some level the answer is a tribute to the power of the core narratives involved.

Alright, so I think the first part is certainly true. What about the core narratives is so compelling? Thoughts on this?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Alright, so I think the first part is certainly true. What about the core narratives is so compelling? Thoughts on this?
That is (1) in some respects a very personal question, and (2) an extremely difficult one to answer briefly. For me the Torah is a richly textured and finely polished tapestry of fallible people embracing a covenant with godliness and a seemingly inexhaustible source of lessons and inspiration.

InvestigateTruth

At the risk of being repetitive I will post this. I am attempting to vocalize an inquiry I'm still trying to pinpoint so I appreciate anyone willing to dialog with me.

So let me ask this. Why an Abrahamic faith at all? I mean, if you look at the generalized natural theology type of arguments for God's existence, it's a long leap from something like an argument from contingency to God spoke to Abraham and made a chosen nation from him. So what do you think the primary reason is there are so many people who follow an "Abrahamic religion" in the world?

The reason I chose Baha'i Faith has nothing to do with being Abrahamic. In fact as a Baha'i I recognize the divine origin of All major world religions, such as Hinduism, Judaism, Buddhism, Christianity, Zoroastrianism and Islam.
I chose Baha'i Faith, because I believe it is the latest (though not the last) revelation of God, that is revealed for this Age.

brokensymmetry

ground state
That is (1) in some respects a very personal question, and (2) an extremely difficult one to answer briefly. For me the Torah is a richly textured and finely polished tapestry of fallible people embracing a covenant with godliness and a seemingly inexhaustible source of lessons and inspiration.

Alright. Thanks for sharing that. Unfortunately I suppose it's the harder and more personal facets of this that I am personally interested in, but I certainly don't expect anyone to share things they are uncomfortable sharing.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה

Do we really need to go down this road again?

A German, Wilhelm Marr, who hated Jews and lived in the late 19th century, invented the term anti-semitism as a more scientific term for Jew hatred. The meaning he gave it is the normative meaning it acquired.

Last edited:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Alright. Thanks for sharing that. Unfortunately I suppose it's the harder and more personal facets of this that I am personally interested in, but I certainly don't expect anyone to share things they are uncomfortable sharing.
Where did I mention being uncomfortable with the topic?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Alright. Thanks for sharing that. Unfortunately I suppose it's the harder and more personal facets of this that I am personally interested in, ...
I did not get that impression from the OP. You asked:
So what do you think the primary reason is there are so many people who follow an "Abrahamic religion" in the world?
That very much seems like you are soliciting generalizations/overviews rather than personal testimonies.