• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

why abrahamic religions?

Tumah

Veteran Member
Do we really need to go down this road again?

A German, Wilhelm Marr, who hated Jews and lived in the late 19th century, invented the term anti-semitism as a more scientific term for Jew hatred. The meaning he gave it is the normative meaning it acquired.

I'm sorry, is 12,983,750,923,759,283,587 times, too much for your poor mind to handle?

brokensymmetry

ground state
I did not get that impression from the OP. You asked:
That very much seems like you are soliciting generalizations/overviews rather than personal testimonies.

It does, you are right. I suppose I realized that I was more interested in why individuals were observing certain religious traditions only as the thread progressed.

I assumed potential discomfort when it was mentioned how it is a personal question.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
It does, you are right. I suppose I realized that I was more interested in why individuals were observing certain religious traditions only as the thread progressed.

I assumed potential discomfort when it was mentioned how it is a personal question.
Fair enough …

How would you answer your question?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
As for Judaism: a Rabbi once told me that Judaism is a corporate religion, dealing far more with social responsibility than with personal salvation. I've always appreciated that observation - particularly as it differentiates between Judaism (and Islam) and Christianity.

I suspect - but do not know - that one of the motive forces behind Christianity is alienation.

As you might imagine, I find the Judeo-Christian classification wholly unhelpful.

brokensymmetry

ground state
As for Judaism: a Rabbi once told me that Judaism is a corporate religion, dealing far more with social responsibility than with personal salvation. I've always appreciated that observation - particularly as it differentiates between Judaism (and Islam) and Christianity.

I suspect - but do not know - that one of the motive forces behind Christianity is alienation.

As you might imagine, I find the Judeo-Christian classification wholly unhelpful.

This is an interesting observation. It seems that some Christian groups may be more corporate than others but it is true the end unit of meaning in Christianity is the individual and God. That could either be alienating in a negative sense or freeing, depending on perspective. I think I have found it a bit disquieting.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
This is an interesting observation. It seems that some Christian groups may be more corporate than others but it is true the end unit of meaning in Christianity is the individual and God. That could either be alienating in a negative sense or freeing, depending on perspective. I think I have found it a bit disquieting.
I don't think it's alienating. Rather, I simply think alienation and its more extreme kin drive people towards theologies that offer people some level of comfort. (I am also aware that this is a gross simplification.)

brokensymmetry

ground state
I don't think it's alienating. Rather, I simply think alienation and its more extreme kin drive people towards theologies that offer people some level of comfort. (I am also aware that this is a gross simplification.)

Interesting. But in that case, any of these traditions could potentially offer comfort for alienated individuals? I don't see how Christianity would be unique in that regard.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I'm looking to Judaism to guide me, not save me. I have zero expectation of prayers being answered, punishment being suffered, or rewards being received.

brokensymmetry

ground state
I'm looking to Judaism to guide me, not save me. I have zero expectation of prayers being answered, punishment being suffered, or rewards being received.

So when you bring up alienation as a motivating factor in people embracing Christianity, do you have in mind that they will have their rewards in heaven, even if they have less than spectacular and fulfilling lives now? They are rewarded, others punished etc.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
In small part, although I think heaven and hell are much more of a post biblical attempt to address the Problem of Evil.

Tumah

Veteran Member
So when you bring up alienation as a motivating factor in people embracing Christianity, do you have in mind that they will have their rewards in heaven, even if they have less than spectacular and fulfilling lives now? They are rewarded, others punished etc.

In small part, although I think heaven and hell are much more of a post biblical attempt to address the Problem of Evil.

I kind of get the feeling the two of you are not on the same page.

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
Do we really need to go down this road again?

A German, Wilhelm Marr, who hated Jews and lived in the late 19th century, invented the term anti-semitism as a more scientific term for Jew hatred. The meaning he gave it is the normative meaning it acquired.
thanks for this info RabbiO

so grace to Wilhelm Marr the meaning of semitics , incline to mention ONLY to jewish suffiring .

so the anti-semitism could be anti-jews , and anti-judiasm ?

NOT anti-arabs ...etc

so the definition of semtics : Jews , Aramaics , Arabs

but anti-semtic , it's about JUST Jews hated !

my last question :

if some hate the teaching of judiasm but did not hate the jews , accused by anti-semitics ?

loverOfTruth

At the risk of being repetitive I will post this. I am attempting to vocalize an inquiry I'm still trying to pinpoint so I appreciate anyone willing to dialog with me.

So let me ask this. Why an Abrahamic faith at all? I mean, if you look at the generalized natural theology type of arguments for God's existence, it's a long leap from something like an argument from contingency to God spoke to Abraham and made a chosen nation from him. So what do you think the primary reason is there are so many people who follow an "Abrahamic religion" in the world?

I think because of Divine Revelation (the Holy Books)... it actually makes sense.

If God created us and placed us on this earth, there must be a purpose behind it. For example, look within us humans - we create something to serve us. So similarly God created us to serve/worship Him. Now, if He wants us to serve/worship Him, He must not leave us without guidance as to how to do that. Can God seriously create us for a purpose and then leave us without guidance on the most important aspect of our existence, which is our reason for being ? Any rational/logical person wouldn't think so. So that guidance is the 'Revelation'.

I just posted related to that in a different thread here :
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/3721558-post13.html

Peace.

brokensymmetry

ground state
I think because of Divine Revelation (the Holy Books)... it actually makes sense.

If God created us and placed us on this earth, there must be a purpose behind it. For example, look within us humans - we create something to serve us. So similarly God created us to serve/worship Him. Now, if He wants us to serve/worship Him, He must not leave us without guidance as to how to do that. Can God seriously create us for a purpose and then leave us without guidance on the most important aspect of our existence, which is our reason for being ? Any rational/logical person wouldn't think so. So that guidance is the 'Revelation'.

I just posted related to that in a different thread here :
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/3721558-post13.html

Peace.

It seems pretty strange to me that God would wait many thousands of years since humans are around to send a prophet of any sort to just a small group of people and then slowly diffuse that knowledge to a subset of the population. How is that effective guidance? I realize such a claim by me, a somewhat Christian may seem hypocritical. Perhaps it is. But it is certainly I question about Christianity and Islam, and any other religion which has some messenger in a particular historical time and place demanding that the rest of humanity follow a singular exclusive path. I just do not find this line of reasoning very convincing.