• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

why abrahamic religions?

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Okay but it seems like we're back at square one then. Why assume God wants all this worship this one particular way? If it's that the religions tell you that, that's going to be circular. I'll ask you why do you think those religions have anything going for them to listen to them.

Well, I'm always bad at serious discussions. I try to be serious while my mind is on video games and cartoons :facepalm:

I guess it makes more sense to say that God is the one telling us to worship him, not a religion.

I believe that God created me, gave me life, all the senses to enjoy, the animals I love to eat, things that feed my "you know what"... etc., so I guess it is only fair that I answer and worship Him as per His own words.

And besides, it is not just a religion, but also a way of life that I gain benefits from, so it helps. In my beliefs, every thing goes under the word "worshiping". The way I treat people nicely is worshiping, the way I post here with respect is worshiping, how I smile to others, help others, love for others what I love for myself, humble myself with my parents and the elderly... etc., all goes under worshiping.

The above is what made me the man I am now. This is another good reason why I worship God besides telling me to do so.

2ndpillar

Flankerl means that the term "Abrahamic Faiths" was coined by Christian scholars and is not recognised by Jews.

The Jewish faith teaches that the Jewish commandments are binding on them, but not on the rest of mankind, who are only bound by the laws of Noah. These are observed not only by Christians and Muslims, but also by others such as Sikhs, Druze, and the Hindu sect of Brahmo Samaj.

Dear David,
This is a nice sentiment if you are a Pharisee, and hold to the Talmud, but it is not a sentiment corroborated by Scripture.
Ecclesiastes 12:13,"The conclusion, when all has been heard, is fear God and keep His commandments, because this appllies to every person. Because God will bring every act to judgment, everything which is hidden, whether it is good or evil."

Akivah

Dear David,
This is a nice sentiment if you are a Pharisee, and hold to the Talmud, but it is not a sentiment corroborated by Scripture.
Ecclesiastes 12:13,"The conclusion, when all has been heard, is fear God and keep His commandments, because this appllies to every person. Because God will bring every act to judgment, everything which is hidden, whether it is good or evil."

Actually scripture confirms our position. G-d gave 613 commandments to the Jewish people through Abraham and 7 commandments to everyone else through Noah. Ecc 12:13 is saying to keep all the commandments that are applicable to you.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Dear David,

It doesn't say that "this applies to ever person." It says, "this is the whole man."

And all he is doing is echoing Deut. 10:12
"And now Israel, what does G-d ask from you, that you fear G-d and go in all His ways and love Him and serve G-d with all your hearts...

And like Moses, Solomon was writing for Israel.

cocokorina

People grow up with a certain faith, and it seems logical for them.
That's why they won't go to other religions most of time.

I noticed that ex-muslims most of time turned christians, atheists/deists and few jews.
But never heard of ex-muslims being polytheists, satanists, animists or things like that.
I think it would be too different for them or illogical so it's "nothing" or an Abrahamic religion - as it's the religions around them and more closed to.

im an ex-muslim (born and raised in a religious muslim home) and i am leaning towards polytheism. i dont think i can ever follow an abrahamic religion.

cocokorina

I guess you didn't click on the link to the other post of mine. So here it is ....

Here's more detail on
the need for Revelation

So here is the Islamic version as to what this Revelation is. Revelations are God's word sent to Prophets of God through Angel Gabriel as a guidance to mankind. According to Islam, Revelations by God has been conveyed to humanity throughout the history of mankind via God's messengers - all the prophets starting from Prophet Adam(PBUH) and then continuing with many other including Noah(PBUH), Abraham(PBUH), Moses(PBUH), Jesus(PBUH) and finally ending with Prophet Muhammad(PBUH).
"Say, [O believers], "We have believed in Allah and what has been revealed to us and what has been revealed to Abraham and Ishmael and Isaac and Jacob and the Descendants and what was given to Moses and Jesus and what was given to the prophets from their Lord. We make no distinction between any of them, and we are Muslims [in submission] to Him." (Al Qur'an 2:136)

However, as time went by every time after the prophets left, mankind went astray from the teachings and worship of God to 'worshiping their desires'. Some of it could be due to people becoming rebellious and arrogant or some of it could be because people started coming up with their own ideas as to how to worship God. And generations later there was no way to get back to the original and the same True message of God that all the messengers brought due to lack of preservation of the message. And then God sent the last and final messenger, Prophet Muhammad(pbuh) with the same message confirming the previous messages. And His followers made very meticulous effort (with God's help obviously) to preserve the message for any generations to come. Just some related verses so you know what it says :
"Muhammad is not the father of any of your men, but (he is) the Messenger of Allah, and the Seal of the Prophets: and Allah has full knowledge of all things." (Al Qur'an 33:40)

"We have, without doubt, sent down the Message; and We will assuredly guard it (from corruption). We did send messengers before thee among the religious sects of old: But never came a messenger to them but they mocked him." (Al Qur'an 15:9-11)

i find it very strange that Islam is the only religion which apparently did not get corruped but all other religions did.