• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

why abrahamic religions?

brokensymmetry

ground state
At the risk of being repetitive I will post this. I am attempting to vocalize an inquiry I'm still trying to pinpoint so I appreciate anyone willing to dialog with me.

So let me ask this. Why an Abrahamic faith at all? I mean, if you look at the generalized natural theology type of arguments for God's existence, it's a long leap from something like an argument from contingency to God spoke to Abraham and made a chosen nation from him. So what do you think the primary reason is there are so many people who follow an "Abrahamic religion" in the world?

Flankerl

This actually implies that the term "Abrahamic Religion" exists outside of Religions who seek to replace Religions which preceded them.

GoodbyeDave

Very few of those are Jews. The reason for so many people converting to Christianity and Islam was that things were made very difficult for them if they didn't. In the Roman Empire, paganism was banned by Christian emperors and, perhaps more importantly, they were gangs of monks burning temples and even breaking into private houses and destroying the shrines. In the Dark Ages, the Germans raided the Slavs for slaves (that's where the word comes from) and the Slavic kings were repeatedly told by the Church "if you converted, it would be forbidden." As for Islam, look at how Christians are treated today in Egypt and Pakistan: then think how they'd treat pagans.

brokensymmetry

ground state
Very few of those are Jews. The reason for so many people converting to Christianity and Islam was that things were made very difficult for them if they didn't. In the Roman Empire, paganism was banned by Christian emperors and, perhaps more importantly, they were gangs of monks burning temples and even breaking into private houses and destroying the shrines. In the Dark Ages, the Germans raided the Slavs for slaves (that's where the word comes from) and the Slavic kings were repeatedly told by the Church "if you converted, it would be forbidden." As for Islam, look at how Christians are treated today in Egypt and Pakistan: then think how they'd treat pagans.

That doesn't explain why people converted to Christianity in the early days. Anyway, my question isn't really about why this was so historically so much as now. Why an Abrahamic religion now?, from the point of view of someone making such a decision.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
When I became a Christian 30-odd years ago, I wasn't coerced. I liked what they faith "said" to me. Christianity, to me, is very fulfilling. It's not a easy faith to follow.

GoodbyeDave

Flankerl means that the term "Abrahamic Faiths" was coined by Christian scholars and is not recognised by Jews.

The Jewish faith teaches that the Jewish commandments are binding on them, but not on the rest of mankind, who are only bound by the laws of Noah. These are observed not only by Christians and Muslims, but also by others such as Sikhs, Druze, and the Hindu sect of Brahmo Samaj.

brokensymmetry

ground state
Flankerl means that the term "Abrahamic Faiths" was coined by Christian scholars and is not recognised by Jews.

The Jewish faith teaches that the Jewish commandments are binding on them, but not on the rest of mankind, who are only bound by the laws of Noah. These are observed not only by Christians and Muslims, but also by others such as Sikhs, Druze, and the Hindu sect of Brahmo Samaj.

Right, which doesn't address my intended question at all. It's unfortunate.

GoodbyeDave

Why do people convert now? Well, Christianity and Islam offer a convenient package, as it were. They offer a lot of answers, they are readily accessible in most countries, and they are not tied to a particular ethnic group.

Flankerl

How does that address question?

The question is rather... stupid. No offense.

Some people follow far eastern Religions such as Buddhism or Shinto.
Others follow middle eastern Religions such as Islam or Judaism.
While others follow western Religions like Christianity(except for Oriental Orthodox or Nestorian Church).
Others may follow african or south american tribal religions.

At the end of the day it comes down to the leap of faith. You have it or not.

brokensymmetry

ground state
The question is rather... stupid. No offense.

Some people follow far eastern Religions such as Buddhism or Shinto.
Others follow middle eastern Religions such as Islam or Judaism.
While others follow western Religions like Christianity(except for Oriental Orthodox or Nestorian Church).
Others may follow african or south american tribal religions.

At the end of the day it comes down to the leap of faith. You have it or not.

If you think it's a stupid question it seems like the kind thing to do would to be abstain from participating in the thread. If it were that obvious and simple to me I would not be inquiring. I am glad it is all worked out so clearly for you, and that I do mean sincerely. For others, however, such as myself, that is not the case.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
At the risk of being repetitive I will post this. I am attempting to vocalize an inquiry I'm still trying to pinpoint so I appreciate anyone willing to dialog with me.

So let me ask this. Why an Abrahamic faith at all? I mean, if you look at the generalized natural theology type of arguments for God's existence, it's a long leap from something like an argument from contingency to God spoke to Abraham and made a chosen nation from him. So what do you think the primary reason is there are so many people who follow an "Abrahamic religion" in the world?

i would say its because its the religion founded by the True God, The Creator.

Yahweh/Jehovah was not a mere legend, a story being told, he wasnt vague and only understood by the religious elite. He was a personal God, a God who made contact and kept dialogue with ordinary people.

To me there is just something more real and tangible about Jehovah then Thor or Zeus or any of the other gods thought up by man.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member

I don't think there is any single "primary" reason.

For many, it's going to be because it is what they are raised in or because it is they are the dominate religion in their culture. Others follow them because they find value or meaning in it. For some it's going to be because they find a unique path to the Divine that they didn't find somewhere else.

brokensymmetry

ground state
I don't think there is any single "primary" reason.

For many, it's going to be because it is what they are raised in or because it is they are the dominate religion in their culture. Others follow them because they find value or meaning in it. For some it's going to be because they find a unique path to the Divine that they didn't find somewhere else.

Yeah. But why would *you* do it? (or a hypothetical you faced with such a decision). That is what I'm interested in. What reasons are actually compelling, specifically, for people, insofar as they care to share of course.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Yeah. But why would *you* do it? (or a hypothetical you faced with such a decision). That is what I'm interested in. What reasons are actually compelling, specifically, for people, insofar as they care to share of course.

Like I said, it's varied. Your OP is asking a very general question, and you're most likely going to get very general answers.

As for me, specifically, I was raised Christian, studied many different religions (including non-"Abrahamic" ones), and ended up converting to Judaism, It's where I found my connection to God.

brokensymmetry

ground state
Like I said, it's varied. Your OP is asking a very general question, and you're most likely going to get very general answers.

As for me, specifically, I was raised Christian, studied many different religions (including non-"Abrahamic" ones), and ended up converting to Judaism, It's where I found my connection to God.

I'm not against getting generic responses, but I suppose that is where I may ask for clarification.

Alright.

Pastek

Sunni muslim
People grow up with a certain faith, and it seems logical for them.
That's why they won't go to other religions most of time.

I noticed that ex-muslims most of time turned christians, atheists/deists and few jews.
But never heard of ex-muslims being polytheists, satanists, animists or things like that.
I think it would be too different for them or illogical so it's "nothing" or an Abrahamic religion - as it's the religions around them and more closed to.