• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I've been watching some videos with what we might call controversial opinions. Some of these are about philosophy, some of these are about Ukraine etc.

What controversial opinions do you have about religion or other religious traditions?

I suppose one controversial opinion I'll share is that pretty much any religion examined on a strictly surface level or through a literalist framework is just going to sound ridiculous. I am strongly in favor of examine religions on a deeper level and all but completely forgetting the surface level of scriptures etc.

I think if you take the Bible as an example and interpret it as literal historical events not only does it become less useful but it also becomes far more harmful. This is true of the Bhagavad Gita, Ramayana, Quran etc. Quran being a little different because a good portion of that is aimed directly at the ummah at the time but a good portion of the stories referred to by the Quran have the same issue as stories from the Bible. Mostly because they are the same stories in a lot of cases.

Erebus

I've always had a weird admiration for self-imposed hardship or suffering in the name of somebody's faith: flagellants, anchorites, Aghori and so on. Perhaps it's because of my fascination with the macabre.

Don't get me wrong, it's not something I'd encourage and I'm certainly against somebody being forced into it. I still can't help but be impressed by the resilience and willpower required for those practices though.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I've been watching some videos with what we might call controversial opinions. Some of these are about philosophy, some of these are about Ukraine etc.

What controversial opinions do you have about religion or other religious traditions?

I suppose one controversial opinion I'll share is that pretty much any religion examined on a strictly surface level or through a literalist framework is just going to sound ridiculous. I am strongly in favor of examine religions on a deeper level and all but completely forgetting the surface level of scriptures etc.

I think if you take the Bible as an example and interpret it as literal historical events not only does it become less useful but it also becomes far more harmful. This is true of the Bhagavad Gita, Ramayana, Quran etc. Quran being a little different because a good portion of that is aimed directly at the ummah at the time but a good portion of the stories referred to by the Quran have the same issue as stories from the Bible. Mostly because they are the same stories in a lot of cases.
I don't really have any controversial opinions. What comes closest is the "motto" of my philosophy: "I don't know what a god is - and neither do you." But as I said, it doesn't seem to be controversial. Almost everybody accepts it and rarely anyone wants to debate it.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
My most controversial opinion is that the official wardrobe of any religious leader should be paisley Speedos, a plaid robe, argyle socks, and moccasins.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
That we are the consious extensions of the Universe. This often elicits strong reactions from both religious folks and scientists.

That, or math is entirely subjective.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them

I worship Lucifer.

That's controversial to many groups of people especially in NC

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
I worship Lucifer.

That's controversial to many groups of people especially in NC
Heck where I live my whole religious practice is controversal.

I mean...have you tried arguing that pagan gods aren't demons to more then one person, argued that worshiping multiple gods is valid and such?

I just casually mentioned at dinner im a luciferian pagan witch as I thought everyone at the group home already knew not like i hide it. Im open about it and it's no secret. I mention this cuz she was talking about how everyone at the dinner table should say grace and my response was: I'm a luciferian and a pagan witch sooo...if we saying grace might be better if I pray separately from y'all. The staff member on duty laughed and said you are a pagan witch? I was like "Yes ma'am. For some reason she seemed to think the idea of someone worshipping many gods was funny and said something about that being ridiculous.

Where I live in NC everyone assumes you are a Christian. If you aint you will most likely be automatically seen very differently and often can be treated differently.

Last edited:

Brian2

Veteran Member
I don't really have any controversial opinions. What comes closest is the "motto" of my philosophy: "I don't know what a god is - and neither do you." But as I said, it doesn't seem to be controversial. Almost everybody accepts it and rarely anyone wants to debate it.

A god for us is whom or what we serve in life.
We might not understand or know exactly what the real God is but we can get to know Him.

Brian2

Veteran Member

When it comes to Jesus, if we ignore what He said and did then we are making things up. We go deeper by going deeper into what He said and did.

The Bible is a diverse book and has literature in it that is meant to be taken as literal and literature that is not.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Religions are way less important in people's lives than religious people think they are.

Religious people behave like atheists the vast majority of the time. Despite thinking that their religion is a central part of their life, people tend not to actually live as if their religions' tenets are reliably true... and those who do live this way come across as very bizarre.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
That there's really no objectively right religion but that all religions may have some validity within them. IOW, I do believe that there is a "Something", but I don't feel adequate to know exactly what that "Something" is.

However, I strongly relate to Jesus' message to "love one another", thus I do feel pretty much at home in church, but not in any way take away from other faiths as I think all tend to be serious attempts to try and understand "Something" and how best to live our lives.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Taking my lead from Christopher Hitchens, I go one step past atheism to anti-theism. I believe that - on the whole - religions do more harm than good. Perhaps it wasn't always true (not sure about that), but I think it's clearly true in modern times.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I suppose my main one, and that many would say contravenes their own rights as to how they teach their children, is about the role of religions in education. I think that religion shouldn't play a big role until children are old enough to be able to question much of it. This is about the only thing I can see that might loosen the grip of religions on so many. But of course one can't really legislate for what goes on in the home in this respect.